+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor a spouse myself or use consultant/lawyer?

snmathur4

Star Member
May 8, 2018
Some details:
Spouse is Indian citizen, I am Canadian citizen.
1) I met my spouse through online website last year in March 2017
2) Talked on phone, etc. for couple months. Then I went to India on June 2017 and met her.
3) Continued talking, and went again to India in Dec 2017 to meet her.
4) Marriage date finalized in Jan 2018
5) Got married in India last month April 2018
6) Now I am back in Canada, and she's still back in India

Note, in Feb 2018 she along with her parents applied for visitor visa to Canada so she could come visit me, but it got rejected for them without reason.

My question is, should I apply to sponsor my wife myself or use consultant/lawyer. I would have done it myself, but after her visitor visa rejection I am not so sure anymore. Do the rejection affect the sponsorship process? Obviously, I do not want any delay in the process and want her to be here asap.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no need to use a lawyer. I would do it yourself.

ama25

May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2016
AOR Received.
19-10-2016
Med's Done....
28-08-2016
Some details:
2) Talked on phone, etc. for couple months. Then I went to India on June 2017 and met her.

Note, in Feb 2018 she along with her parents applied for visitor visa to Canada so she could come visit me, but it got rejected for them without reason.

My question is, should I apply to sponsor my wife myself or use consultant/lawyer. I would have done it myself, but after her visitor visa rejection I am not so sure anymore. Do the rejection affect the sponsorship process? Obviously, I do not want any delay in the process and want her to be here asap.
You don't need a lawyer. Where in Canada are you located?

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Some details:

we used an ircc member to do our inland spousal sponsorship in December 15 2015 and it took us 17 months and my husband been a permanent resident since april 28 2017 and we are glad we used a rep because she did all our paper work we did not worried about screwing up the paper work me and the rep work together our case was easy my husband is from portugal which is visa exempt plus he was on a work visa me and hubby peference is to paid someone to do this kind of work we were lucky our rep worked in ircc for 25 years and she decided to take over her father immigration business

snmathur4

Star Member
May 8, 2018
You don't need a lawyer. Where in Canada are you located?
I am located in British Columbia.
1) Does using consultant/lawyer make your case better in eyes of cic?
2) Will the visitor visa rejection have any affect on the process?

FAjAlame

Apr 9, 2018
I am located in British Columbia.
1) Does using consultant/lawyer make your case better in eyes of cic?
2) Will the visitor visa rejection have any affect on the process?
My original representative was garbage. IRCC does not handle cases differently just because someone hired a representative. I decided to reapply on my own and it is going smoother than before. No, visitor visas are normally rejected.

snmathur4

Star Member
May 8, 2018
Ok, I am leaning towards applying myself now.

There's one thing I am not straight forward. During marriage registration in India, we got my wife's last name changed. So now the marriage certificate her last name is same as mine but all her other documents (passport, Ids, etc.) have maiden name.
How do I handle this situation in application? thanks

FAjAlame

Apr 9, 2018

There's one thing I am not straight forward. During marriage registration in India, we got my wife's last name changed. So now the marriage certificate her last name is same as mine but all her other documents (passport, Ids, etc.) have maiden name.
Yikes, in that case, I would leave it as is. Add an extra document explaining the issue and place it directly behind the marriage certificate. Just say that she changed her last name post-marriage; it should not be a major problem. My husband's name was spelled incorrectly on his identity document and it was not a major concern because I explained it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You don't need to do anything. The name used in the app must be the name in her passport.