+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor a Foreign Home Support Worker

KSDL80

Jul 12, 2017
Hi All,

I'd like to hire my relative who is currently in my home country to take care of my mother-in-law who recently get a stroke and now with limited mobility. Can I know, what are the cost I should consider ? I guess is (1) salary for 30 hrs per week job (2) cost for accommodation (3) do I need to buy medical insurance? (4) Do I need to pay any other monthly or one time fee to government during the employment period?

What kind of proof will I need to be eligible to hire foreign home support worker? For example, household income? The reason we need to hire the employee etc.?

Thank you so much in advance.

Best,
Khin

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/caregiver.html

You need a business registration number for payroll. You need to prove that you posted the job locally and no one applied so that is your first step. You need to meet median wage for the position.All the information is in the link.

1 & 4 Business Registration. Salary is at least 30 hours and include wages as well as CPP, EI, taxes, vacation. Median wage required. You need to show that you can hire a full-time caregiver. LICO will be used.
2. Your choice whether accommodation is included.

Last edited:
Reactions: KSDL80

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi All,

I'd like to hire my relative who is currently in my home country to take care of my mother-in-law who recently get a stroke and now with limited mobility. Can I know, what are the cost I should consider ? I guess is (1) salary for 30 hrs per week job (2) cost for accommodation (3) do I need to buy medical insurance? (4) Do I need to pay any other monthly or one time fee to government during the employment period?

What kind of proof will I need to be eligible to hire foreign home support worker? For example, household income? The reason we need to hire the employee etc.?

Thank you so much in advance.

Best,
Khin
Yes, those monthly fees are called payroll taxes .
EI, CPP, Fed Provincial Taxes . As the employer you pay the employer matching portion of EI, and the CPP match. If you’re providing accommodation that is a taxable benefit.
You need a business payroll account specifically for care giver use.
As long as the individual is employed by you , you submit payroll taxes , as well as issuing a T4 at the end of the year.
As well take into account workmen’s compensation premiums

Reactions: KSDL80

KSDL80

Jul 12, 2017
Yes, those monthly fees are called payroll taxes .
EI, CPP, Fed Provincial Taxes . As the employer you pay the employer matching portion of EI, and the CPP match. If you’re providing accommodation that is a taxable benefit.
You need a business payroll account specifically for care giver use.
As long as the individual is employed by you , you submit payroll taxes , as well as issuing a T4 at the end of the year.
As well take into account workmen’s compensation premiums
Thanks you so much for your suggestion. Much appreciated. :)

KSDL80

Jul 12, 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/caregiver.html

You need a business registration number for payroll. You need to prove that you posted the job locally and no one applied so that is your first step. You need to meet median wage for the position.All the information is in the link.

1 & 4 Business Registration. Salary is at least 30 hours and include wages as well as CPP, EI, taxes, vacation. Median wage required. You need to show that you can hire a full-time caregiver. LICO will be used.
2. Your choice whether accommodation is included.
Thanks very much for the detail reply. It is very helpful :)

Reactions: G P S