+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsering an in law..

Boman744

May 19, 2010
Good morning,

I sponsored my wife from Peru 5 years ago and we are now wondering if I am able to sponsor her sister to Canada too. Or does this have to be my wife who sponsors this time? My wife is in college now since she had to retake everything here in Canada, so I'm not sure that she would fit the eligibility in regards to her individual financial situation. Or could we use my financial situation to aid with her sisters sponsorship?
I'm having a hard time finding an answer online.

Thanks a ton :)

M

mikeymyke

Cannot sponsor sister if she is 18 years or older. If she is under 18, your wife can sponsor her

M

mikeymyke

Is the sister under 18? I believe as the husband you can add yourself as a co-signer to the application, thus your income would be eligible to sponsor.

M

mikeymyke

Then no, the sister can't be sponsored at all. You can ask her to learn English and take up a skilled profession and immigrate here as a skilled worker.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
mikeymyke said:
Cannot sponsor sister if she is 18 years or older. If she is under 18, your wife can sponsor her
Even if the sister is under 18 years old, the wife cannot sponsor her directly unless her sister is considered to be orphaned. Otherwise it is expected that her sister is to be sponsored under the parents' PR as their dependent.

M

mikeymyke

screech339 said:
Even if the sister is under 18 years old, the wife cannot sponsor her directly unless her sister is considered to be orphaned. Otherwise it is expected that her sister is to be sponsored under the parents' PR as their dependent.
yes that's right, thanks for pointing that out, forgot about the orphaned thing