29-11-2014
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Hello All,

I will be applying for my Canadian Passport. In my passport my surname is field is blank so I used my full name as given name. I wanted to ask if I can split my name to first name and surname . It will be just re-arranging . Can somebody help me what would be the procedure.?

Thanks!

SaadRehman77

Nov 9, 2022
Hello All,

I will be applying for my Canadian Passport. In my passport my surname is field is blank so I used my full name as given name. I wanted to ask if I can split my name to first name and surname . It will be just re-arranging . Can somebody help me what would be the procedure.?

Thanks!
Hi,

The current name you have in your Canadian driving license/ID and on citizenship certificate will be put as it is on your Canadian passport when you apply for it. If you want to split first and last name you need to get a name change certificate from the province you live in even if you only want to split your first and surname.

If you live in Ontario you need to go to Service Ontario and apply for Name change certificate. The fees for this is $137 and if they approve your name change it takes 7-8 weeks to get name change certificate in the mail.

Once you have got name change certificate you can then correct your name on your driving license , health card and Canadian Passport etc.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Reactions: amis

Sharma21069

Dec 12, 2018
Hello All,

Thanks!
Were you able to achieve it. ?
My wife is in the same boat. Her last name is blank in the passport and first name ( two words) is given name in PR , COPR etc. Now while applying for canadian citizenship we want to split the first name ( again two words) into first name and last name.

Rmehta18

Jun 10, 2021
I have my full name appear in my last name field.This error is pertaining since my COPR. Now I want to get it split in proper fields. I have got it changed in province and tried to get it fixed while applying PP but they used the same name. Can you guide me which form to fill in to get it changed in e-certificate and PP, do I have to get it changed in COPR first or can it be changed in PP only.

agent_47

Star Member
May 18, 2019
Were you able to achieve it. ?
My wife is in the same boat. Her last name is blank in the passport and first name ( two words) is given name in PR , COPR etc. Now while applying for canadian citizenship we want to split the first name ( again two words) into first name and last name.
Hello there,
I’m also in the same boat as yours. Did you split the name in Indian passport first or applied for Canadian citizenship with split name?

Rmehta18

Jun 10, 2021
I got it corrected in my indian passport when i got it renewed but do not know the process to get it changed in COPR and IRCC doesn't respond.
my canadian PP has the full name in last name field.

agent_47

Star Member
May 18, 2019
I got it corrected in my indian passport when i got it renewed but do not know the process to get it changed in COPR and IRCC doesn't respond.
my canadian PP has the full name in last name field.
Follow-up question - so when you applied for a new Indian Passport, did they ask for any additional supporting document for splitting the name like an affidavit in Canada?

Rmehta18

Jun 10, 2021
No, it was a normal renewal,I didn't even mention it in my application and name came out correct in correct fields.