+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Special Health Insurance needed for Supervisas (Parent/Grandparent super visa)

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
It seems that there would be a good market demand for health insurance products for super visa applicants.

There are many people like my parents who want to travel to Canada for 1, 2 or 3 months per year and need a special insurance product that:

- answers supervisa's regulation
- covers their health and safety in Canada
- not having to pay for the periods when they are not in Canada

So we need kind of insurance:

- That I pay for the whole year but receive a refund for the time I have not used it
- Calculation and coverage starts from the time they enter and stops when they leave Canada
- there is no need for a coverage outside Canada as they have travel insurance and their own insurance in their homeland
- When they leave, They are two options, either

a) get a refund for months before enter and months after exit that they have not been in Canada
b) or their insurance transfered to the next year. Next year they have to pay prorata because they have used 2-3 months last year without any claims.

The point is that insurance companies will lose a big market if they don't offer such product. May people like my parents will prefer normal visitor visas and not supervisas if they are going to pay more than 3000$ for a short months visit.

bsz

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The super visa is for a minimum of one year, one of the reasons may be:

Some P&GP could apply (and pay) for the insurance, get their suer visa and then ask for a refund when they get to Canada - Leaving them with no health cover.

FWIW the insurance companies do not "lose a big market", at present they can sell a government mandated one year policy (with minimal policy overhead activity, like refunds).
If customers do not use the full year of cover the insurance company reaps the benefit.

The Government of Canada is not likely to change the one year minimum requirement, so even if insurers wanted to offer the policy that you describe it would not be admissible for the super visa stream.

Maybe the the P&GP stream and super visa will be harder to achieve that many first thought.

What you need is a long discussion with an insurer, to configure a policy for your specific situation.

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
Baloo said:
The Government of Canada is not likely to change the one year minimum requirement, so even if insurers wanted to offer the policy that you describe it would not be admissible for the super visa stream.
Please first let me know if you are the government representative/agent here. All you say is about what government benefits from. Please do not answer my posts if you cannot help.

Such a policy that I say is not refundable when you are there. You can cancel it or tranfer the remaining months to the next year, only when you have left Canada.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bsz said:
Please first let me know if you are the government representative/agent here. All you say is about what government benefits from. Please do not answer my posts if you cannot help.

Such a policy that I say is not refundable when you are there. You can cancel it or tranfer the remaining months to the next year, only when you have left Canada.
Government representatives are available at CIC, it is very unlikely that a government representative / agent would conduct an official conversations in this or other fora.

Be aware that this is an open forum, anyone can answer any post, we all have that freedom. Feel free to ignore my replies, that is your choice :)

So the statement "What you need is a long discussion with an insurer, to configure a policy for your specific situation. " does not help?
It is actually the only way you will get a reply from the people who can issue a policy.

You will find that when refunds are offered on insurance policies, the amount returned will be minimal.
Also note that if a policy is refunded and new cover was needed, then there would usually be a reassessment of the insured parties conditions of health, this may result in increased cost.
A continuous policy (longer term) is normally a far less expensive option.

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
Yes but would you please stop replying to my posts? I know what you are going to say and I like to hear from others. Your definite answering manner to questions is discussion killer.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bsz said:
It seems that there would be a good market demand for health insurance products for super visa applicants.

There are many people like my parents who want to travel to Canada for 1, 2 or 3 months per year and need a special insurance product that:

- answers supervisa's regulation
- covers their health and safety in Canada
- not having to pay for the periods when they are not in Canada
Don't apply for the super visa if your parents are only travelling to Canada for 1, 2 or 3 months per year.

Instead tell your parents to get a regular multiple visa. Get in touch with your insurance broker for each visits to get proper insurance for your parents. That would be a nice thing to do :D

Super visas are for those parents who want to visit Canada and stay for longer than 6 months and up to 2 years without the need to extend their visiting visas.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Don't apply for the super visa if your parents are only travelling to Canada for 1, 2 or 3 months per year.

Instead tell your parents to get a regular multiple visa. Get in touch with your insurance broker for each visits to get proper insurance for your parents. That would be a nice thing to do :D

Super visas are for those parents who want to visit Canada and stay for longer than 6 months and up to 2 years without the need to extend their visiting visas.

100% Correct - But this is not the answer that bsz wants to hear :)

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why are you two answering the question with the correct answer but not the answer for the OP shame on you two :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kedeisha said:
Why are you two answering the question with the correct answer but not the answer for the OP shame on you two :)
LOL

Maybe in the mistaken view that some people actually want a correct answer.... but who knows :)

OnlineInsPro

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
Hello all... I am a licensed Insurance broker and have been for 20+ years. There certainly are insurers who offer coverage to visitors to Canada which meet the government's requirements but who also have PROPORTIONAL REFUNDS, should the insured leave before one year. Here's the way it works... you apply for the coverage before your visitors arrive, and list the expected date of arrival. If your visitor's actual date of arrival is different, the Insurer will adjust the policy date. You pay up from for one year's coverage. Should your visitors stay later, you have up until 8 days before the expiry of the current policy to extend it. Should they leave earlier, you will get a proportionate refund, as long as the refund is a minimum of $25.00 Cdn. Please check out my website at dfsinc.ca , email me at info@dfsinc.ca, or call me at 1-888-933-7462 if you need additional assistance!

Tracy DesLaurier, DesLaurier Financial Services

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
Baloo & Kedisha,

If you stop saying nonsense, there would appear people who understand correctly and answer back. As They did.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bsz said:
Baloo & Kedisha,

If you stop saying nonsense, there would appear people who understand correctly and answer back. As They did.
You really need a sense of humour :)

I actually responded to your question about refunds, check the amount of the refund, it will not be fully proportional.

You may have noticed that I mentioned that you needed to talk to an insurance representative.

OnlineInsPro

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
Baloo, although that may be your experience there are certainly carriers which do offer fully proportional refunds, including several that I represent. dfsinc.ca info@dfsinc.ca 1-888-933-7462

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OnlineInsPro said:
Baloo, although that may be your experience there are certainly carriers which do offer fully proportional refunds, including several that I represent. dfsinc.ca info @ dfsinc.ca 1-888-933-7462

Are the full proportional refunds available on "super visa" specific policies?