+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spanish Cook wanting to work in Canada

serlopez

Feb 26, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am a Spanish cook who is currently in the US on a visitors visa who wants to work in Canada, Toronto to be exact.

I have a couple of questions and help would be greatly appreciated!!!

1) Can I go into Canada as a visitor and then apply for a work permit?
2) I went to "cooking" school for 2 years, got all my credits but I do not have the diploma as I did not hand in my final project, is this a problem when it comes to the scores? I do have 4 years of cooking experience...
3) Should I hire a lawyer to handle my case or is it "easy" to do it all on my own?

Thanks a lot and like I said... all help will be great!!!!

Thanks!!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

serlopez said:
Hello everyone,

I am a Spanish cook who is currently in the US on a visitors visa who wants to work in Canada, Toronto to be exact.

I have a couple of questions and help would be greatly appreciated!!!

1) Can I go into Canada as a visitor and then apply for a work permit?
2) I went to "cooking" school for 2 years, got all my credits but I do not have the diploma as I did not hand in my final project, is this a problem when it comes to the scores? I do have 4 years of cooking experience...
3) Should I hire a lawyer to handle my case or is it "easy" to do it all on my own?

Thanks a lot and like I said... all help will be great!!!!

Thanks!!!
1. No, not really. You would have to find a job, the employer would have to apply for a Labour Market Opinion, after advertising the position for 2 weeks on the job, and then demonstrate to HRSDC that either no Canadians or PRs applied or they weren't qualified. Takes about 3 months. Then you would have to apply for a work permit outside Canada not at a POE as you would require a medical
2. If you applied for PR, your cooking school would NOT be counted as you didn't receive the diploma. So that would mean your education score would be really low.
3. Your choice.

serlopez

Feb 26, 2012
Thanks for the info!!!

Do you think it would be better then to ask for a temporary visa?

Are this easier to get?

Thanks a lot!!