+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SP + PGWP + SP again

Tatinha

Apr 29, 2017
Hi everyone!

I'm under a study permit right now and after my graduation in August I will apply for my PGWP.
The problem is, I want to study again in January 2018.
I know I can't keep my study permit after my graduation in order to work until January, that's why I want to apply for my PGWP. So from August 'till January I will be able to work under the PGWP.
My question is: I get my PGWP (in September, for example) and in November I need to apply for the SP again, what happens to my PGWP? Is this change of visas possible?

Thank you in advance.

rajwinder111

Mar 1, 2012
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone!

I'm under a study permit right now and after my graduation in August I will apply for my PGWP.
The problem is, I want to study again in January 2018.
I know I can't keep my study permit after my graduation in order to work until January, that's why I want to apply for my PGWP. So from August 'till January I will be able to work under the PGWP.
My question is: I get my PGWP (in September, for example) and in November I need to apply for the SP again, what happens to my PGWP? Is this change of visas possible?

Thank you in advance.
Don't apply PGWP , extend your study permit if you wana study again ....

1. Extend study permit for January intake before your old study permit expires.
2. Dont waste your PGWP only for 4 months gap
3. they will approve your study permit for sure if you want to continue your study ...
Good Luck

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Don't apply PGWP , extend your study permit if you wana study again ....

1. Extend study permit for January intake before your old study permit expires.
2. Dont waste your PGWP only for 4 months gap
3. they will approve your study permit for sure if you want to continue your study ...
Good Luck
The problem the OP is describing is due to the fact once graduated from the first course then the period between that and the new course is not a scheduled course break so the rule for being in full time education is broken to be able to work in that time.

I would agree that applying for a PGWP would be a waste given it is a one time opportunity and cannot be suspended whilst studying nor does it allow anyone to work beyond the 20 hours a week whilst studying.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
you finish first course in august....second course start in january.... effectively it's like semester drop....next course less than 8 mnths...you won't be eligible for pgwpp....call cic if my logic doesn't make senses
Also see here for the rules about qualifying for a PGWP with more than one course, although it is not clear whether the study permit needs to remain in play/extended across the break as well as for the new course but I suspect it does. Work permit issuance and validity section http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Please look below (latest link, changes in bold/undrlined : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp)

You aren’t eligible to apply for a PGWP if you:

• studied in a program that was less than eight months long
  • studied for more than eight months but not continuously (for example, you took a semester off)
  • took part in a Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
  • took part in a Government of Canada Awards Program funded by GAC
  • had funding from GAC
  • took part in the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile
  • took part in the Canada-China Scholars Exchanges Program
  • took part in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
  • completed a study program by distance learning either from abroad or from within Canada or
  • already had a post-graduation work permit following any other program of study.
It is down to interpretation given taking a semester off sort of implies an interuption in a course with an unscheduled break not a break between 2 different courses as long as the study permit bridges both courses.

Ultimately only CIC can confirm not any of us amateur experts on this forum myself included.

Reactions: rajj_c