+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SP approved @ POE (US Citizen)

JodyA

Aug 16, 2020
How hard was it to get on the plane to Canada? I thought they weren't letting people on without the permits. I was planning on attempting this through a land border though flying would be preferable. Also, my son is a minor - he's the one in need of a study permit (14 years old, for boarding school). I need to accompany him to get him settled but I clearly don't fall under the "essential" category. So really uncertain that I could board the plane.

mmhien

Jul 20, 2020
Ah, gotcha. No, I don’t have a lease yet but I’m moving in with my partner in a house he leases so I did think about getting my name on that too, but speaking to a lawyer who was able to get some other Americans in, the key is that letter of support / mandatory requirement of being in Canada for whatever reason.

There is only one thing that I can think of that might help your case, which is dependent on how long you and your SO have been together. I think there’s something about having a common law partner that might be to your benefit, but you’d have to prove it’s been a real + long (?) relationship
Yeah, as of right now, I cannot get any support letter from my school. I am hoping that changes in the next few months. And I have been with my SO for 2 years, but we have never lived together for more than a year. The longest we ever lived together was three months. So I don't think we can qualify for common law. Thank you sharing what you know, though, I appreciate it!

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
How hard was it to get on the plane to Canada? I thought they weren't letting people on without the permits. I was planning on attempting this through a land border though flying would be preferable. Also, my son is a minor - he's the one in need of a study permit (14 years old, for boarding school). I need to accompany him to get him settled but I clearly don't fall under the "essential" category. So really uncertain that I could board the plane.
Yeah, this sounds a bit tricky. I thought there was some language about minors entering for boarding school though, maybe an exception to the rules. I’d look into that and call a lawyer for a consultation! It wasn’t that hard to ask for one imo.

Regardless of the exception, I’m not sure you’d be able to help him settle in. If he can cross, I’m guessing he’d have to cross alone.

They let me on the plane but asked me questions before getting on. I had so much documentation and came super prepared so I was able to get through. Big questions were quarantine plan, proper documents, and essential reason.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
How long did the whole process take?
From what point? The line just to speak to an officer took the longest time (~45m to 1hr). Speaking to the officer since I came prepared with all my docs in an accessible folder took about 4-5m to explain and answer questions. Then I waited ~12m to be called up again, given the paper to pay at the cashier, and received my permit right after paying.

Cadadosis

Sep 7, 2020
Hi all,

I applied at a POE (flew into the airport) and had my SP approved on the spot. I know this option is only available to the US (not sure if it’s both citizens and residents - I’m a citizen) but if anyone has questions about it, feel free to leave me a message.

Dear RF, Congratulations!
I would really appreciate if you can help me. I am also a US citizen and I will try to do the same, traveling from NY to Montreal, entering through the ground at LaCole port.
My university has advising me to not do the POE at the border without having the SP or Letter, however (everyone has been stuck in this point). I got the AIP last week.
Did you show this pre-approval letter at the POE?
Did you have to cancel your previous application before you requested the SP at POE?
I used to live in Montreal before the pandemic and got stranded outside so I have proof of my apartment lease and my Graduate Lab activities are in person. I do have two letters from my professors. I called so many times to CBSA and officers have confirmed that my case is non-discretionary.
I really hope this helps
Amanda

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Dear RF, Congratulations!
I would really appreciate if you can help me. I am also a US citizen and I will try to do the same, traveling from NY to Montreal, entering through the ground at LaCole port.
My university has advising me to not do the POE at the border without having the SP or Letter, however (everyone has been stuck in this point). I got the AIP last week.
Did you show this pre-approval letter at the POE?
Did you have to cancel your previous application before you requested the SP at POE?
I used to live in Montreal before the pandemic and got stranded outside so I have proof of my apartment lease and my Graduate Lab activities are in person. I do have two letters from my professors. I called so many times to CBSA and officers have confirmed that my case is non-discretionary.
I really hope this helps
Amanda

Hey! Sorry to delay, just saw this.

When you called the CBSA and they said your case is non-discretionary, what exactly did you ask them / tell them about your case?

What kind of letters do you have from your professors? I think a letter directly from your school / program is preferable.

Don’t fret too much about your university. They are trying to keep up with all the news from the government, and to be really transparent, many of them don’t seem to really know about this option. I wouldn’t heed their advice if you have a worthwhile case.

To answer your questions: yes, I showed them my AIP but only as a supplement to my case, not as my only reasoning. And no, do not cancel your previous app beforehand, you can do that afterward.

I think because you have in-person activities, your case might work - what type of program are you enrolled in?

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Please, is this method applicable to non- Citizens or Permanent Residents explore?
Hi, I would actually get in touch with a lawyer for a free consultation. You can talk directly with someone via email, and they may schedule a call with you to discuss your case in depth. As you’ll be using free lawyer time, I recommend you get all of your questions and details about your case on hand so as not to waste anyone’s time. Email them here: wp@canadavisa.com

Cadadosis

Sep 7, 2020
Hey! Sorry to delay, just saw this.

When you called the CBSA and they said your case is non-discretionary, what exactly did you ask them / tell them about your case?

What kind of letters do you have from your professors? I think a letter directly from your school / program is preferable.

Don’t fret too much about your university. They are trying to keep up with all the news from the government, and to be really transparent, many of them don’t seem to really know about this option. I wouldn’t heed their advice if you have a worthwhile case.

To answer your questions: yes, I showed them my AIP but only as a supplement to my case, not as my only reasoning. And no, do not cancel your previous app beforehand, you can do that afterward.

I think because you have in-person activities, your case might work - what type of program are you enrolled in?
///
Thank you so much for your reply, no worries about timing!
Reading about your case is really a great hope for me!

I am a PhD candidate in the Humanities program at Concordia, but I used to be a visitor scholar last fall, then traveled out of Montreal for a job and got stranded out. Meanwhile, I got accepted as PhD student. Originally I was planning to return to Montreal with my SO, and apply at POE as US citizen. But COVID came and I haven't been able to come back. Therefore, I did call CBSA and the officer said that my case is non-discretionary because, I used to live there and I' am returning home, and my research lab activities are presential.

I do have two letters from my advisers (with the official university letterhead) and even from the Dean of my department informing me that I must be there for lab activities, and the labs have been re-opened. My activities in the lab and with my advisor are related to theater activities and media recordings of residents of Montreal.

My ISO office is advising me to be very careful and a bit discouraging since I don't have an SP or an IRSS final letter. I believe they don't want to disclose info about the number of students who crossed (or might not have information about) US students who did it only with the AIP letter.

I'm really scared about the act of going to the land border because I only have the AIP, along with the other essential documents (even my apartment lease!). I really hope I have an understanding officer like yours.

Thank you for reading and posting about your case!

Reactions: Sandpiper4

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
///
Thank you so much for your reply, no worries about timing!
Reading about your case is really a great hope for me!

I am a PhD candidate in the Humanities program at Concordia, but I used to be a visitor scholar last fall, then traveled out of Montreal for a job and got stranded out. Meanwhile, I got accepted as PhD student. Originally I was planning to return to Montreal with my SO, and apply at POE as US citizen. But COVID came and I haven't been able to come back. Therefore, I did call CBSA and the officer said that my case is non-discretionary because, I used to live there and I' am returning home, and my research lab activities are presential.

I do have two letters from my advisers (with the official university letterhead) and even from the Dean of my department informing me that I must be there for lab activities, and the labs have been re-opened. My activities in the lab and with my advisor are related to theater activities and media recordings of residents of Montreal.

My ISO office is advising me to be very careful and a bit discouraging since I don't have an SP or an IRSS final letter. I believe they don't want to disclose info about the number of students who crossed (or might not have information about) US students who did it only with the AIP letter.

I'm really scared about the act of going to the land border because I only have the AIP, along with the other essential documents (even my apartment lease!). I really hope I have an understanding officer like yours.

Thank you for reading and posting about your case!
I think if you can explain why you have to be there (lab activities) and you bring all of those documents, along with your story of living there prior to covid, you should be fine. I’m also in the humanities and personally I think a big part of the reason I succeeded is because I expressed how difficult it is to play music simultaneously via zoom - theatre studies (not sure if you’re actually performing, but it might help your case if you are) may be a strong point as well.

I feel like I have a very similar case as you (but MA, not PhD - and not returning home which also seems a strong point) and it was honestly very simple. They’re not going to ask you why you’re applying for the permit knowing about covid because the application is actually open to US students - it’s risky, but not impossible by any means.

I would also have a quarantine plan handy! The officer actually didn’t ask me about this but I’ve heard many others have been asked. I came prepared with all (and I mean allll) of my documents printed out and neatly organized into a nice folder. Anything the officer asked about, I had available. I’d recommend you do the same.

Finally, I entered via air and noticed you said you’d go by land. I’m guessing then that you’re only going to talk with the officer directly (not so sure about this,) but if you end up opting to go by air, you’ll get some questions by those working at the airport. It’s actually kind of nice practice before speaking with the officer, you just have to convince them that you know what you’re doing. If you do go by land, maybe ask a friend to just ask you some questions to ease the nerves.

Hope any and all of this is helpful! Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Reactions: Cadadosis

Fishball

Sep 10, 2020
Hi all,

I applied at a POE (flew into the airport) and had my SP approved on the spot. I know this option is only available to the US (not sure if it’s both citizens and residents - I’m a citizen) but if anyone has questions about it, feel free to leave me a message.
I am US citizen too,and i am the freshman .
I have already applied my SP but the IRCC is too slow and not yet give me the approval letter (waiting about 3months )

I am very confused cause I visited the website and it said that the POE is not available at this time,
Can I still make my SP at the port of entry

I am urgent to come to Canada and my school support travel letter!!

Fishball

Sep 10, 2020
Hi all,

I am United State Citizen and I am a freshman.
I already apply the Study permit online,but it not yet get me the approval letter (still processing and I wait for about 3months already)
I can’t wait anymore,because my program will start at 14 September soon,I have rent my home at Canada and I have the travel letter for my school saying that I need to go to Canada with essential purpose.
Can I make my SP at POE?what document should I bring?

*I have a medical check (4months ago)*
Will the airline reject me to fly to Canada if I don have the Study permit or approve letter with me yet?
Thanks

Cadadosis

Sep 7, 2020
Dear all
I hope this email finds you well.
I just want to let you know that I was able to receive at the POE my student permit at the LaColle/St Bernard ground border. Therefore I am in Montreal and have my Student Permit.
The CB/IRCC is actually allowing the new students to enter and apply for their student's permits at the port of entry, only coming from US and US nationals, who can prove that their reasons are non-discretionary.
This is not officially announced in the IRCC but several US students have reported that they acquired their new permits at the port of entry via ground and air.

Reactions: Sandpiper4

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Dear all
I hope this email finds you well.
I just want to let you know that I was able to receive at the POE my student permit at the LaColle/St Bernard ground border. Therefore I am in Montreal and have my Student Permit.
The CB/IRCC is actually allowing the new students to enter and apply for their student's permits at the port of entry, only coming from US and US nationals, who can prove that their reasons are non-discretionary.
This is not officially announced in the IRCC but several US students have reported that they acquired their new permits at the port of entry via ground and air.
Wahoo! Congrats. Yes, this is exactly what I was hoping to share with others via this thread. So glad to hear you made it through. Stay safe and keep the peace