+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SP approved @ POE (US Citizen)

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Hi all,

I applied at a POE (flew into the airport) and had my SP approved on the spot. I know this option is only available to the US (not sure if it’s both citizens and residents - I’m a citizen) but if anyone has questions about it, feel free to leave me a message.

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Hi all,

I applied at a POE (flew into the airport) and had my SP approved on the spot. I know this option is only available to the US (not sure if it’s both citizens and residents - I’m a citizen) but if anyone has questions about it, feel free to leave me a message.
Hello Resilientflora,

When did you arrive (applied and approved)?

What evidence did you give or say as your quarantine measures?

I am just curious for answers that has PRACTICALITY.

All the best

AnaCamp

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Hi all,

Even after receiving AIP you had to apply again?

Reactions: Sandpiper4

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Congrats! :) Just wondering, do you have in person classes?
I actually don’t, but my program is heavily community oriented and has artistic components (especially music) which is difficult to do online. I also had a letter from my program explaining that key components have to happen within Canada (such as an internship I was given that adds to my funding package that i would lose otherwise).

Last edited:

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Hello Resilientflora,

When did you arrive (applied and approved)?

What evidence did you give or say as your quarantine measures?

I am just curious for answers that has PRACTICALITY.

All the best
Arrived and applied yesterday.

I used the ArriveCAN app to input my quarantine plan and was actually not asked much about it in person. But I came super prepared with a folder and laminated sheets for each item I needed to hand over. I also had to explain my plan to someone before getting on the plane in the US. It mostly seemed like they just wanted to know I had a plan.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Even after receiving AIP you had to apply again?
Yes, and I paid another $150CAD. Completely worth it. They didn’t make me pay until I was approved. Not sure if this is always the case, but I imagine they don’t make you pay if they send you back.

mmhien

Jul 20, 2020
I actually don’t, but my program is heavily community oriented and has artistic components (especially music) which is difficult to do online. I also had a letter from my program explaining that key components have to happen within Canada (such as an internship I was given that adds to my funding package that i would lose otherwise).
Ah, I see. Happy to see you got in. I also have a required internship for my program, but it will not happen until next summer, so I am not sure if I would be able to get in just for that. My significant other (who is Canadian) thinks I should just go to the border and at least try to get in, but I am a very wary of doing that during a pandemic. I am curious to know the situation of Americans who were issued a study permit at the border, so thank you for answering my question!

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Ah, I see. Happy to see you got in. I also have a required internship for my program, but it will not happen until next summer, so I am not sure if I would be able to get in just for that. My significant other (who is Canadian) thinks I should just go to the border and at least try to get in, but I am a very wary of doing that during a pandemic. I am curious to know the situation of Americans who were issued a study permit at the border, so thank you for answering my question!
I was basically in the same situation except for the timing of internship. My canadian SO and I agreed to try it, and here I am. I do think the internship was part of it, but ultimately I think my program itself and the music component were key aspects that helped me get in. What’s your program?

mmhien

Jul 20, 2020
I was basically in the same situation except for the timing of internship. My canadian SO and I agreed to try it, and here I am. I do think the internship was part of it, but ultimately I think my program itself and the music component were key aspects that helped me get in. What’s your program?
Yeah, that makes sense why you got in! Unfortunately, my program (Master of Global Affairs) has moved completely online for the fall. Classes are *supposed* to be in-person for the winter semester, but as we know, anything can change at this point. Some international students in my program asked our director to provide students with a support letter for traveling to the border, but they refused to do so (which makes sense, even though it sucks). I have been searching for weeks for an in-person elective to take, but almost everything has moved online.

Did you happen to have an apartment lease with your name on it or anything like that? That is pretty much the only thing I have that might help, but even then, I don't think it will do much for me.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Yeah, that makes sense why you got in! Unfortunately, my program (Master of Global Affairs) has moved completely online for the fall. Classes are *supposed* to be in-person for the winter semester, but as we know, anything can change at this point. Some international students in my program asked our director to provide students with a support letter for traveling to the border, but they refused to do so (which makes sense, even though it sucks). I have been searching for weeks for an in-person elective to take, but almost everything has moved online.

Did you happen to have an apartment lease with your name on it or anything like that? That is pretty much the only thing I have that might help, but even then, I don't think it will do much for me.
Ah, gotcha. No, I don’t have a lease yet but I’m moving in with my partner in a house he leases so I did think about getting my name on that too, but speaking to a lawyer who was able to get some other Americans in, the key is that letter of support / mandatory requirement of being in Canada for whatever reason.

There is only one thing that I can think of that might help your case, which is dependent on how long you and your SO have been together. I think there’s something about having a common law partner that might be to your benefit, but you’d have to prove it’s been a real + long (?) relationship