+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SP approved, OWP still pending, both are under the same GCKey. Is that normal?

sishumfu

Jul 3, 2022
Hi guys,
My husband and I applied under the same GCKey.
I am the main applicant (SP) and he applied for an Open Work Permit.

My application was approved yesterday and I received the biometrics correspondence letter and the passport request letter. However my husband only received the biometrics correspondence letter and nothing else. It has been more than 24 hours now.

Is that normal? Did any of you experience the same thing before? Would they approve my application and reject my husband's?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

wakongah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2022
Yes, it’s normal. Some SOWPs are approved at the same time, some are approved a couple of days or possibly even weeks after. It’s also entirely possible for a SP to be approved and and an SOWP to be refused.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi guys,

My application was approved yesterday and I received the biometrics correspondence letter and the passport request letter. However my husband only received the biometrics correspondence letter and nothing else. It has been more than 24 hours now.

Is that normal? Did any of you experience the same thing before? Would they approve my application and reject my husband's?

Normal. SOWPs may not be processed with SP, and can be refused. All you can do is wait.

sishumfu

Jul 3, 2022
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I really don't understand why they would separate us as he is my sponsor and he will be covering our whole trip expenses including my school fees... :(

sishumfu

Jul 3, 2022
I would also like to mention again that he received the correspondence letter before I did.
10 minutes later, I received the correspondence letter and the passport request at the same time.

Ezzy20

Jul 27, 2022
I would also like to mention again that he received the correspondence letter before I did.
10 minutes later, I received the correspondence letter and the passport request at the same time.
Hello, I am in the process of looking for the best college to study in Canada and I am planning to go with my husband, he is the one who takes care of our finance stuff and the bank statement of the account we will show the proof of funds is under his name, that's where we deposit all of our savings. I just want to know if this can affect the application as I am going to be the SP applicant and he will be the SOWP applicant. I would also like to know if your husband was approved?

Last edited:

sishumfu

Jul 3, 2022
Hello, I am in the process of looking for the best college to study in Canada and I am planning to go with my husband, he is the one who takes care of our finance stuff and the bank statement of the account we will show the proof of funds is under his name, that's where we deposit all of our savings. I just want to know if this can affect the application as I am going to be the SP applicant and he will be the SOWP applicant. I would also like to know if your husband was approved?
Hello, we still didn't get the final decision regarding his file.

Sarah Park

Aug 16, 2022
Hi guys,

Hi, do you have update? This is also my situation now. When is your intake? Thanks

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
I applied with my wife, she was the main applicant for SP and I applied for OWP.

Our passport request letters arrived with a 24 hour difference but as previously stated, this can take even longer and it is also a possibility that the SP is approved and the OWP is not.

Best thing to do is submit the passport for the person that already received the passport request and keep waiting. Good luck!

eta32

Sep 20, 2022
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I really don't understand why they would separate us as he is my sponsor and he will be covering our whole trip expenses including my school fees... :(
Hi, I have the same problem now. Did you get any update?