+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SP Approved at age 47 (January 2019 intake)

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Application: SDS paper based (no agent) at VFS Manila
SP Application date: 26 September 2018
SP Approval date: 31 October 2018
DLI: Durham College (Oshawa campus)

Timeline:

2017 Sept - Applied directly at Durham College for 2018 Sept intake
2017 Nov - IELTS exam
2017 Dec - IELTS result (overall 7.5: L 8, R 6.5, W 7, S 7.5)
2018 March- Submitted my transcripts to Durham College
2018 June - Received unconditional LOA from DC
  • Requested DC to defer me to January 2019 intake because I was not confident I would get my SP approved in time.
  • Did upfront medical. Required additional sputum test due to slightly hazy xray result.
2018 July - Paid 1 year fee at Durham College
2018 Aug - Transferred CAD$10,200 to Scotia bank. Got my letter of instruction 3 working days later.
2018 Sept - Applied for SP at VFS Manila on 26 Sept. Sputum test result negative.
  • Linked my paper application to my GCKey on 28 Sept
2018 Oct - Did follow up xray on 1 Oct. Following day, 2 Oct, GCKey update that medical passed
  • Review of eligibility started on 30 Oct
  • SP Approved on 31 October
Documents submitted:
  • Unconditional LOA from Durham College and conditional LOA from UOIT (DC program transfers to UOIT upon successful completion)
  • 1 year fee receipt
  • GIC letter of instruction
  • Upfront medical form from IOM Manila
  • IELTS result
  • College and High School transcripts
  • COE from previous works as well as all my ITRs since I started working
  • IT certifications (C|EH and ITIL v3 Foundation) and certificate of attendance in various IT seminars
  • Property documents (I have two properties)
  • Letter from my brother-in-law that he will provide me with room and board, together with his valid ID
  • Business registration from SEC (I have a tech startup which was duly registered with Philippines SEC as limited partnership)
  • Marriage certificate
  • NBI clearance
  • SOP
  • All required forms as per checklist
What I learned based from my experience:
  • SP processing time is unpredictable. I got mine after 35 calendar days. But I have a friend who applied non-SDS on 17 Oct and got his approval on 25 Oct.
  • SOP key points:
  • My background: Took up Aeronautical Engineering in college but work experience for the past 22 years are solid IT (from systems and network administration to software/application development and project management)
  • Objective: What I plan to achieve. Why I want to study in Canada
  • Why Canada: Less expensive than other countries such as AU, NZ or USA. Great peace and order situation. Multicultural.
  • Why Durham College and UOIT: I only applied at DC and UOIT so i was able to highlight their qualities.
  • Career progression: How my intended program will help in my future career growth in my home country
  • Declaration: that I will abide by all the conditions, rules and regulation of the SP should I be approved. That I intend to finish my program the soonest possible time and go back to my home country. That, should my SP be revoked by IRCC, I will leave Canada immediately.
  • No agent/consultant. Everything I need I read from the IRCC/CIC website and Scotia bank website. Anything that is unclear to me, I asked from the forum. There are a lot of veterans here who goes out of their way to answer queries (hats off to all of you guys!)
  • Make sure you have the complete documents upon submission. Utilize the checklist.
  • For SDS applicants, it doesn't hurt to submit additional financial documents/proofs
  • Plan accordingly, do not rush things. Very important to strategize properly. There is plenty of time. If I am able to do it at my age, how much more can younger applicants?
  • Finally, YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL! :)

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017

Timeline:

2017 Nov - IELTS exam
  • Requested DC to defer me to January 2019 intake because I was not confident I would get my SP approved in time.
  • Did upfront medical. Required additional sputum test due to slightly hazy xray result.
2018 Aug - Transferred CAD$10,200 to Scotia bank. Got my letter of instruction 3 working days later.
2018 Sept - Applied for SP at VFS Manila on 26 Sept. Sputum test result negative.
2018 Oct - Did follow up xray on 1 Oct. Following day, 2 Oct, GCKey update that medical passed
Documents submitted:
  • Unconditional LOA from Durham College and conditional LOA from UOIT (DC program transfers to UOIT upon successful completion)
  • 1 year fee receipt
  • IELTS result
  • IT certifications (C|EH and ITIL v3 Foundation) and certificate of attendance in various IT seminars
  • Letter from my brother-in-law that he will provide me with room and board, together with his valid ID
  • Business registration from SEC (I have a tech startup which was duly registered with Philippines SEC as limited partnership)
  • Marriage certificate
  • NBI clearance
  • SOP
  • SP processing time is unpredictable. I got mine after 35 calendar days. But I have a friend who applied non-SDS on 17 Oct and got his approval on 25 Oct.
  • SOP key points:
  • My background: Took up Aeronautical Engineering in college but work experience for the past 22 years are solid IT (from systems and network administration to software/application development and project management)
  • Why Canada: Less expensive than other countries such as AU, NZ or USA. Great peace and order situation. Multicultural.
  • Why Durham College and UOIT: I only applied at DC and UOIT so i was able to highlight their qualities.
  • Career progression: How my intended program will help in my future career growth in my home country
  • Declaration: that I will abide by all the conditions, rules and regulation of the SP should I be approved. That I intend to finish my program the soonest possible time and go back to my home country. That, should my SP be revoked by IRCC, I will leave Canada immediately.
  • No agent/consultant. Everything I need I read from the IRCC/CIC website and Scotia bank website. Anything that is unclear to me, I asked from the forum. There are a lot of veterans here who goes out of their way to answer queries (hats off to all of you guys!)
  • Make sure you have the complete documents upon submission. Utilize the checklist.
  • For SDS applicants, it doesn't hurt to submit additional financial documents/proofs
  • Plan accordingly, do not rush things. Very important to strategize properly. There is plenty of time. If I am able to do it at my age, how much more can younger applicants?
congrats man :)

Reactions: rogelcorral

Bhavin_vag

Sep 26, 2018

Timeline:

2017 Nov - IELTS exam
Documents submitted:
  • 1 year fee receipt
  • IELTS result
  • Marriage certificate
  • NBI clearance
  • SOP
  • SOP key points:
Hey I gave sputum test too. my results will be out on 15th november and 2nd x-ray on 24th november. So can i apply after 15th november or should i wait till 24th november?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hey I gave sputum test too. my results will be out on 15th november and 2nd x-ray on 24th november. So can i apply after 15th november or should i wait till 24th november?
What I did was wait till I am sure I'm cleared before I applied. Although, the panel physician said that I should have applied even before the sputum test result came out. If you are not applying under SDS, and sure that you are clear, then you can apply now. Otherwise, the upfront medical would be useless if you are applying under SDS as the medical would wait to be cleared before your SP gets processed, IMHO.

Good luck mate! Hope you get approval too!

Bhavin_vag

Sep 26, 2018
What I did was wait till I am sure I'm cleared before I applied. Although, the panel physician said that I should have applied even before the sputum test result came out. If you are not applying under SDS, and sure that you are clear, then you can apply now. Otherwise, the upfront medical would be useless if you are applying under SDS as the medical would wait to be cleared before your SP gets processed, IMHO.

Good luck mate! Hope you get approval too!
Thanks. I am gonna apply under sds. If i apply after 15th November so my medical will be cleared on 25th November(Very next day after 2nd X-ray)? Do you know anything like how will they know if my final medical results will available around 24th november if i apply early?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks. I am gonna apply under sds. If i apply after 15th November so my medical will be cleared on 25th November(Very next day after 2nd X-ray)? Do you know anything like how will they know if my final medical results will available around 24th november if i apply early?
Welcome!

Authorized panel physician will send the results directly to embassy. Since you already did an upfront (meaning you underwent the medical examination before applying for your SP), your record has been forwarded to the embassy already. Not sure exactly, but since you require additional sputum test (like me), your medical record at the embassy is on hold pending receipt of final medical result from panel physician. As soon as embassy receives your final medical result, it will be reflected in your GCKey immediately.

Again, best of luck mate!

Bhavin_vag

Sep 26, 2018
Welcome!

Authorized panel physician will send the results directly to embassy. Since you already did an upfront (meaning you underwent the medical examination before applying for your SP), your record has been forwarded to the embassy already. Not sure exactly, but since you require additional sputum test (like me), your medical record at the embassy is on hold pending receipt of final medical result from panel physician. As soon as embassy receives your final medical result, it will be reflected in your GCKey immediately.

Again, best of luck mate!
Thanks mate :)

Matibrahim_86

Star Member
Nov 1, 2017
Kuwait
You are so great.
Congratulations!
My study application exceeded the normal processing time, Does this mean any sign of approval,?
Other thing ,I just paid tution deposit fees, but I showed him enough funds in Bank statements and letter of my mother that she will sponsor me, along with her I'D and bank statements.
Along with other lease contracts and primary sale contracts of properties.
Along with owning Car certificate.

Ielts (6.5 with no subclass under 6)
I have Bachelor degree and my program is applied degree in Petroleum Engineering
Is that enough ?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
You are so great.
Congratulations!
My study application exceeded the normal processing time, Does this mean any sign of approval,?
Other thing ,I just paid tution deposit fees, but I showed him enough funds in Bank statements and letter of my mother that she will sponsor me, along with her I'D and bank statements.
Along with other lease contracts and primary sale contracts of properties.
Along with owning Car certificate.

Ielts (6.5 with no subclass under 6)
I have Bachelor degree and my program is applied degree in Petroleum Engineering
Is that enough ?
Thanks, mate!

Can’t say with certainty if delayed processing time means approval. Statistics is very inconsistent. Some gets approval or rejection in just a few days. While some gets approval or rejection after several months.

In terms of fee, there are applicants who only paid 1 semester and limited funds in bank but got approved. While there are SDS applicants who, despite paying 1 year and GIC of CAD$10k, still got rejection.

Your IELTS score is good, mate.

Wish you all the best!

leonardasobo

Star Member
Dec 14, 2017
thanks! I am not an expert but always happy to help :)

CONGRATS .please I will soon apply can u help me verify this sop if it answers all their required questions

The Visa Officer,

Canadian High Commission,

Subject: Re-Application for Study Permit

Dear Sir/Madam

I had applied for a study permit on July 11, 2018 for 4 years sports studies program at Bishops University in Quebec and got the visa rejection on August 5, 2018. The study permit was rejected for the following reasons:

“You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay”. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:

Ø purpose of visit

Ø personal assets and financial status

The grounds for rejection of my VISA application and clarification to the same are mentioned
below:

I am a sports teacher holding and extensive work experience of more than 4 years in the sports industry .I graduated from Progressive Comprehensive High School Bamenda in June 2012 and obtained the General Certificate of Education Advanced level .After high school, I wrote the entrance examination into the National Institute of Youth and Sports where I did two years and obtained my sports Teacher’s Diploma and was immediately integrated into the Public Service as a government sports teacher. I am currently working as a physical education teacher for the Government Public Service in Cameroon (please see Original letter of employment is attached and attestation) at Tassah Secondary Academy in Yaounde. I also work as an assistant football coordinator at Pantaire de Yaoundé Football club. Ever since I was a child a hard a passion for sports .Fortunately, for me my parents are successful in their careers and sponsored me through education. My father is an electrical engineer and my late mother was a laboratory technician. I have four siblings with me being the third child of my parents.

Studying sports in Canada has been the topmost focuses in my recent academic curricular .Apart from being strategically located with a suitable social and welcoming environment for studies, Canada is also economically stable and provides supportive and quality education. Canadian culture is more diverse and vibrant. It is considered peaceful, safe and orderly country. Being a country of immigrants from all over the World, different perspectives are respected and learning together is encouraged.

I chose Bishops University because it is a robust institute with outstanding ,renounced and a successful reputation as sports is concerned .Bishops University sports program consists of a state of the art learning environment with Cutting edge sports centres, and research facilities. The school has a highly competent and reputable staff. Also the school alumni, Comprehensive student support services, from Bishops’ friendly Student Advisement Centres to the excellent resources of the Career Centre plus exhibitions for students to show their profile and work developed during their studies and above all, a Practical hands-on learning that prepares you to ‘jump right in' to the workforce . Other than these, Unique Leading-Edge Centre's of Excellence, These centres include: Bishops’ Elder Research Centre, Bishops’ health and fitness centre, Bishops’ central sports complex, Centre for Healthy Communities just to name a few All these features, facilities and services impressed me and convinced me to join Bishops University for my quest for knowledge and practical experience in sports.

Sports is a highly competitive and lucrative discipline that requires a superlative environment to thrive. A degree in sports is a degree with rich academic and professional curricular that gives its participants the opportunity to be the best in their careers.

My diploma and teaching experience has provided me with the necessary prerequisite in pursuing my coaching career. It could have been easier for me if sports where offered at the higher levels (Bachelor’s degree) in my country but unfortunately it is not. During my diploma program, I was taught mostly on theory in courses like physical and mental health, theory of coaching, exercise science ,cognition and motivation in sports just to name a few. For a successful future, each individual has to present himself with an uncommon qualification and talent that separates him from the mass. Furthermore, world recession has made every industry highly competitive as there is a rapid advancement and growth in every organisation. According to the recent market trends and needs i have decided to enhance my educational qualification and make a career change in my life and strongly feel that this is the right time for me to update my professional skills from physical education teacher (Diploma) to Coaching (Bachelor’s degree) to pursue with a bright and secure future career. Based on research, I believe I will be more competent and productive after my studies at Bishops University. I will improve both theoretically and practically in courses like: Advanced coaching, health and fitness exercises, dietary planning, and sports in business and marketing just to name a few.

My interest is to become a football coach which is a very lucrative and demanding discipline .Cameroon and Africa are in dire need of professional football coaches .In the current market, there is a high demand of coaches in Cameroon because of the upcoming African Cup of Nations which will be hosted in Cameroon for the first time. This has attracted more investments from the government as well as several multinational companies World Wide. Also there are many young talented Cameroonians in the sports field that lack mentors in their fields of interest which they cannot easily have and meet up with the international standards and their aspirations . The government ,local and multinational sports companies like Young Sport Academy (YOSA),Cotton Sport Football Academy, Les Eagles de Douala sports academy, PWD Bamenda Sports Academy and the indomitable lions of Yaoundé Football club are targeting projects and qualified sports coaches . But due to inadequate and unqualified coaches and resource, Companies find it difficult to find experienced employees. So I am certain once I am back in my country after studies with a sports management degree in hand, I will be valued more by my employers in Cameroon.

I have fulfilled must of the school requirements and paid a tuition deposit of 350 CAD to accept my offer of admission and scholarship of 5000 CAD. I have applied and obtained an education loan (sanction letter) of 12,000000 FCFA per annum (approximately 27,500 CAD) from my Allied bank (salary account) for tuition and part of living expenses. My father has also agreed to sponsor my education in Canada with a sum of 15million (approximately 31000 CAD) for living expenses and Miscellaneous. I also have an account balance of 5,60000 (1,0000CAD) FCFA in my savings to assist in my study trip .My recent bank statements as well as that of my sponsor are attached showing available funds for the last six months. I have obtained a study leave with pay of 400000FCFA monthly (approximately 850CAD) from my employer. This funds, my sponsor’s (Father) landed property at Ndamukong Street in Bamenda and my piece of land at MFOU in Yaoundé has been pledged as collateral in the procurement of my loan.

I believe that the information provided is adequate and concise enough, however if you have any query, please feel free to contact me on email tangleonardasobo@gmail.com or call me on 00237671681193 for a personal interview.

Thank you

Yours Sincerely,

TANG LEONARD ASOBO