+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP : Working as a contractor

vrahulan

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm a Post Grad Work permit holder currently in Canada working on a contract (Job tile: Business Analyst). My permit expires at the end of December 2018. My question is about the nature of employment. Would I have to be in a permanent job to be eligible to apply for a SOWP for my wife? If so, what are the options for those working in contract roles. Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

pjhades

Dec 6, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm a Post Grad Work permit holder currently in Canada working on a contract (Job tile: Business Analyst). My permit expires at the end of December 2018. My question is about the nature of employment. Would I have to be in a permanent job to be eligible to apply for a SOWP for my wife? If so, what are the options for those working in contract roles. Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks.
same question here, the pay stubs are not consecutive

pjhades

Dec 6, 2019
You should have consecutive pay stubs if working in a NOC 0, A or B role. 3 pay stubs usually means 6 weeks.
A lawyer told me that in this case (PGWP holder is a contractor who may not be working during certain months), the spouse might be given an OWP that lasts only for the duration of the contract instead of the duration of the PGWP. Not sure if that's possible.. since to my knowledge an OWP would have the same duration as the principal holder.