+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP Proof of Financial Support

LOM1207

Feb 24, 2024
Hi,

My wife has passed for her PHD in Canada and I will be applying for a SOWP, but I am worried about the proof of funds.

In the form it says you should have ~25k per year, and her PHD is 4 years in total. So they want us to proof we have enough funds for all 4 years or only for the first year?

Based on her PHD incomes minus tuition and what I have in my bank account, we have enough for the first year but I will be applying for jobs as soon as my visa is approved. Do you think it could be denied?

Thanks in advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

My wife has passed for her PHD in Canada and I will be applying for a SOWP, but I am worried about the proof of funds.

In the form it says you should have ~25k per year, and her PHD is 4 years in total. So they want us to proof we have enough funds for all 4 years or only for the first year?

Based on her PHD incomes minus tuition and what I have in my bank account, we have enough for the first year but I will be applying for jobs as soon as my visa is approved. Do you think it could be denied?

Thanks in advance.
First year only.

Reactions: LOM1207

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Impossible to say although there seems to be more flexibility when it comes to PhD student. How much does your wife have in terms of savings? You have? Where will she be studying and how much will she be paid by the university subtracting her tuition?

LOM1207

Feb 24, 2024
Impossible to say although there seems to be more flexibility when it comes to PhD student. How much does your wife have in terms of savings? You have? Where will she be studying and how much will she be paid by the university subtracting her tuition?
Excluding tuition, for the first year, she'll have CAD ~26k and I have CAD ~4k after the conversion. I know the minimum for 2 persons is around 25k.

LOM1207

Feb 24, 2024
How much is tuition? Has it been paid? How much is she being paid from the university per year?
Tuition is CAD 6,400 (for one year) and she's being paid CAD 33k per year. Tuition will be automatically paid as soon as she receives the funding.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Excluding tuition, for the first year, she'll have CAD ~26k and I have CAD ~4k after the conversion. I know the minimum for 2 persons is around 25k.
Minimum for 2 people is only for Quebec. Other provinces don’t specify the amount of extra funds needed for family members to join international students. So the family has 30k in savings for the first year and will have at least 25k for every additional year of her PhD. There isn’t really enough savings for the first year when you will face additional costs like travel, setting up a home even the bare minimum with a mattress and simple bedding, a table, a sofa, basic kitchen items, winter clothing, etc. The fact that she is studying a PhD likely gives you more flexibility than other applicants studying low level degrees so there is still a good chance of approval. Do you have any work history, like working for a multinational employer, which may make finding a job in Canada easier. Do you work in a field where there is a demand for workers in Canada and especially in the region where you will be living? Do you have higher score on your IELTS which will make your job skills job ready if being able to communicate in English is possible: Finding a job in Canada is harder than it used to be except in some fields but showing that you have either secured a job offer or have good prospects of finding employment in Canada because of A, B and/or C then that would also help your apllication. The would show that you will likely have additional income because you will be able to work as well.

LOM1207

Feb 24, 2024
Minimum for 2 people is only for Quebec. Other provinces don’t specify the amount of extra funds needed for family members to join international students. So the family has 30k in savings for the first year and will have at least 25k for every additional year of her PhD. There isn’t really enough savings for the first year when you will face additional costs like travel, setting up a home even the bare minimum with a mattress and simple bedding, a table, a sofa, basic kitchen items, winter clothing, etc. The fact that she is studying a PhD likely gives you more flexibility than other applicants studying low level degrees so there is still a good chance of approval. Do you have any work history, like working for a multinational employer, which may make finding a job in Canada easier. Do you work in a field where there is a demand for workers in Canada and especially in the region where you will be living? Do you have higher score on your IELTS which will make your job skills job ready if being able to communicate in English is possible: Finding a job in Canada is harder than it used to be except in some fields but showing that you have either secured a job offer or have good prospects of finding employment in Canada because of A, B and/or C then that would also help your apllication. The would show that you will likely have additional income because you will be able to work as well.
Thank you for all this info!

Regarding what you mentioned about expertise, I am currently working at a multinational company as a Data Engineer and I have an Advanced High English degree (one level below fluency).

My idea is exactly what you said... Start looking for a job as soon as I have my SOWP. Since it's a very demanding area, should be a bit easier.

I will detail those arguments on my letter of explanation and hope for the best!