+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP or Visitor Visa: Which is faster?

MohammedShaat

Aug 7, 2019
Hello everyone, I'm a new international student in Canada, and I'm thinking of a family reunion with my wife and 2-year-old daughter. Which is the fastest process nowadays, a spouse's open work permit or a visitor visa? Could any of them be rejected for any reason?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Is your school a DLI with PGWP? How long is your program? Any visa can be rejected. Your family needs to show strong ties, funds, strong travel history etc. If spouse wants to work then SOWP is the best path. Both take months to process.

MohammedShaat

Aug 7, 2019
Is your school a DLI with PGWP? How long is your program? Any visa can be rejected. Your family needs to show strong ties, funds, strong travel history etc. If spouse wants to work then SOWP is the best path. Both take months to process.
Yes, it is a DLI & PGWP school, and my program will be for 2 years. I have good financial status, no travel history for me or for my spouse, but we both have strong ties in our country.
So the 2 options will take the same process time? What are the rejection chances? I hear that kind of application usually gets approved!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, it is a DLI & PGWP school, and my program will be for 2 years. I have good financial status, no travel history for me or for my spouse, but we both have strong ties in our country.
So the 2 options will take the same process time? What are the rejection chances? I hear that kind of application usually gets approved!
Can’t give you a percentage of rejection chances. People think that application gets approved. The issue is why didn’t you apply together when you submitted your study permit if your financial status is good. If doing a Masters or PhD, your spouse has a good change with a SOWP. Again you decide. Not sure how her ties would be strong if you are in Canada for two years.