+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sowp or trv for spouse?

cimci

Nov 26, 2018
Which one is the right visa type for staying longer than 6 months with a student spouse in Canada ? Sowp is a long process as far as I know. Some universities advice to apply trv first and then after arriving Canada ,spouse can apply again to extend his/her stay and get SOWP . But some says if your spouse is in Canada on study permit, chances of refusal for trv visa is higher .

So there are two options as I understand;

1. Apply for trv , if granted , apply for SOWP after arriving Canada.
Or
2. Apply for SOWP directly.

Which one is the right choice ?

gychemist

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Which one is the right visa type for staying longer than 6 months with a student spouse in Canada ? Sowp is a long process as far as I know. Some universities advice to apply trv first and then after arriving Canada ,spouse can apply again to extend his/her stay and get SOWP . But some says if your spouse is in Canada on study permit, chances of refusal for trv visa is higher .

Or

In my case I am on a study permit ... my wife came with me...but she already had a visitor visa before I applied for student visa... now we applied for OWP... and waiting to hear from them...

Mann157

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
which option you end up going with? TTRV

Or

which option you end up going with? SOWP or TRV ?