+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP or Spouse Dependent Visa on my husband's study permit??

saaya30

Dec 3, 2019
Hello,

I and my husband are from India, and we both had applied for Study Permit via SDS.
Our applications were sent separately, but in the Immigration forms IMM5645 and IMM1294 each of us had declared that we were married and also that the spouse would be accompanying us.
He got the approval for Study Permit for his diploma, but I had the bad luck of getting rejected twice with the reason - VO not convinced that I will return back to my home country after the course.

After doing some research, I think the best thing for me would be to withdraw my application of the college and GIC and apply for the Spouse Visa.
However can someone please help me with what type of dependent visa (SOWP or Visitor or .. ) - considering that I have a history of 2 rejections on Study Permit, I don't want another rejection in my application.
We have been married for more than 2 years and have been together for more than 8 years.

Any helpful input on this subject would be appreciated as I don't want to be separated from him for a long duration and we are on a time-crunch (2 weeks remaining :(:( ). He is also worried that if he goes there and get's his study permit stamped before knowing what steps are needed to be taken here, he might impact my chances for getting a visa.

saaya30

Dec 3, 2019
Alright, as per update that I got till now, our agent who applied for our study permit still insists that I apply again.
Another second opinion consultant states that I should do CAIPS notes first and re-apply again, which is a better choice than any spouse visa or visitor visa. (seems logically true)

Now I am quite confused. Please can someone give me advice here ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Alright, as per update that I got till now, our agent who applied for our study permit still insists that I apply again.
Another second opinion consultant states that I should do CAIPS notes first and re-apply again, which is a better choice than any spouse visa or visitor visa. (seems logically true)

Now I am quite confused. Please can someone give me advice here ?
Yes you should order CAIPS before applying. TRV or SOWP is not guaranteed for spouses of international student but SOWP is what you should select since you aren’t going as a temporary visitor.

saaya30

Dec 3, 2019
Yes you should order CAIPS before applying. TRV or SOWP is not guaranteed for spouses of international student but SOWP is what you should select since you aren’t going as a temporary visitor.
Hey thanks for the reply. Throughout the day today, I went through a lot of forums and spoke to various consultants. The feedback that I have received is quite mixed and finally getting some reply has given me a ray of hope :) .
Honestly, the only thing matters to me right now is to be with my husband. Considering my previous work experience in IT industry, if at all I am eligible for SOWP then I would like to apply for it in a proper way with all my documents and facts stated straight. I don't want to goof up again and face one more rejection. So whichever type of visa has a higher chance of getting approved (as per what you said, SOWP), I prefer applying for that.
However,the information that I have gathered regarding SOWP is not consistent throughout. Some people are mentioning that I can apply for SOWP right away whereas some people are saying that my husband should go to Canada, get his enrolment letter from the college, complete and pass his 1st semester and after that only I can apply for my SOWP. Also, I came to know that before applying for SOWP I need to maintain certain amount of bank balance else there are chances of me facing a rejection again.
What exactly is legit here? The list of required documents was -
1. Evidence to prove that this is a genuine relationship (Come on! He has been my boyfriend for so many years and we both got married 2 years ago) which should be easy - Photographs before marriage, of marriage, after marriage, chat history, phone records, social media communication and updates (Facebook and Instagram???), Honeymoon pictures (travel history with proof)
2. Finance - what is finance here? I will have to apply for refund from college, GIC and my flight ticket for all this
3. Husband's offer letter, enrolment letter, passport study permit stamp
4. Marriage Certificate

Again for one day, that was a lot for me coming out of Study Permit to this. But since there is a time-crunch for us, I want to clear this quickly to so we can have some peace of mind before he has to leave. So I appreciate getting anything that helps me here.

waitgame

Jan 24, 2013
Hey thanks for the reply. Throughout the day today, I went through a lot of forums and spoke to various consultants. The feedback that I have received is quite mixed and finally getting some reply has given me a ray of hope :) .
Honestly, the only thing matters to me right now is to be with my husband. Considering my previous work experience in IT industry, if at all I am eligible for SOWP then I would like to apply for it in a proper way with all my documents and facts stated straight. I don't want to goof up again and face one more rejection. So whichever type of visa has a higher chance of getting approved (as per what you said, SOWP), I prefer applying for that.
However,the information that I have gathered regarding SOWP is not consistent throughout. Some people are mentioning that I can apply for SOWP right away whereas some people are saying that my husband should go to Canada, get his enrolment letter from the college, complete and pass his 1st semester and after that only I can apply for my SOWP. Also, I came to know that before applying for SOWP I need to maintain certain amount of bank balance else there are chances of me facing a rejection again.
1. Evidence to prove that this is a genuine relationship (Come on! He has been my boyfriend for so many years and we both got married 2 years ago) which should be easy - Photographs before marriage, of marriage, after marriage, chat history, phone records, social media communication and updates (Facebook and Instagram???), Honeymoon pictures (travel history with proof)
2. Finance - what is finance here? I will have to apply for refund from college, GIC and my flight ticket for all this
4. Marriage Certificate

Again for one day, that was a lot for me coming out of Study Permit to this. But since there is a time-crunch for us, I want to clear this quickly to so we can have some peace of mind before he has to leave. So I appreciate getting anything that helps me here.

Hi
Yes you should order CAIPS notes first and then go for SOWP. I would suggest waiting until the end of first semester considering your SP got rejected twice. Rest it also depends on what is in the CAIPS notes. In the meantime keep record of your communication. The rejection rate for SOWP is a bit high now so prepare and atrong case before applying. Hope that helps.

rajpatel90

Aug 25, 2020
4. Marriage Certificate

Did you get SOWP? What is the process for SOWP? I also want my spouse to join me during my studies which is starting from January 2021.
Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you get SOWP? What is the process for SOWP? I also want my spouse to join me during my studies which is starting from January 2021.
Thanks.
You need to apply for SOWP but spouses of international students are not guaranteed an SOWP. Depends on many things like your financial situation, your relationship. History, what type of degree you are doing, etc. Even with an SOWP a spouse would need special permission to come to Canada due to covid. Your studies would also be required to be in person.