+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP extension while waiting for PGWP

Esporte321

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
Hey guys, nowadays we are waiting 3 months or more to get our PGWP. When we apply to PGWP we get the WP-EXT letter, allowing us to work until a decision is made.
While I was a student, my spouse had a SOWP, but it will expire soon. The IRCC website states that I must have a PGWP + Job (Noc 0, A or B) + 3 paystubs to apply for SOWP extension.

My question is: while I am waiting the PGWP, I am allowed to work. I got a job (Noc A), and I have the 3 paystubs already, once the PGWP processing time is quite long... Can I apply for SOWP extension without the PGWP on hands?

The SOWP processing time is almost 3 months nowadays, so if I apply my spouse will have an implied status (so she can continue working) and, after I get my PGWP approval, I can submit it by webform. Someone already made it?

Govardhan7

Star Member
Jan 8, 2020
yes, I applied. Sent the PGWP via web form with the most recents payslips.
Still waiting, applied on Dec 30, 2021.
Hi we are in same situation, Applied PGWP on Oct 18, also applied SOWP along with PGWP they provided letter decision will be made on or before Feb18 however we are yet to hear anything from IRCC. What about your application status..?

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
I’ll be applying soon to my spouse SWOP, so I’ll be in the same situation. Currently I am in maintained status since May 20th as I apply for PGWP and got no answer about my application yet. Spouse swop expires July 30th..

kasunsilva

Jul 20, 2022
I’ll be applying soon to my spouse SWOP, so I’ll be in the same situation. Currently I am in maintained status since May 20th as I apply for PGWP and got no answer about my application yet. Spouse swop expires July 30th..
HI @Bear6, my Situation is the same and my wife's OWP expired on 31 July 2022. And I have 3 pay stubs by employed to a NOC A category Job. I'm also planning to apply for my Spouse Open work permit soon.

Please update, what are your updates and thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
HI @Bear6, my Situation is the same and my wife's OWP expired on 31 July 2022. And I have 3 pay stubs by employed to a NOC A category Job. I'm also planning to apply for my Spouse Open work permit soon.

Please update, what are your updates and thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Kasunsilva, my wife OWP will expire also on July 31st and myself already applied to PGWP on May 20th. For what I’ve seen by other people experiences we should hope for the best and probably apply to our wives OWP extension before their current permit expires, at least that’s what we’ll do in a few days, as my job is Noc B and I also have 3 paystubs. Once I get my permit, I’ll send it via webform to attach it to her application and see what happens. I’ve seen people been successful doing it that way, and having goodwill and the rest of the docs ready We’ll hope for the best. But please do whatever you guys think its right and don’t take my ideas as the only way to act.
Good luck and let me know how your case goes guys!

kasunsilva

Jul 20, 2022
Hi Kasunsilva, my wife OWP will expire also on July 31st and myself already applied to PGWP on May 20th. For what I’ve seen by other people experiences we should hope for the best and probably apply to our wives OWP extension before their current permit expires, at least that’s what we’ll do in a few days, as my job is Noc B and I also have 3 paystubs. Once I get my permit, I’ll send it via webform to attach it to her application and see what happens. I’ve seen people been successful doing it that way, and having goodwill and the rest of the docs ready We’ll hope for the best. But please do whatever you guys think its right and don’t take my ideas as the only way to act.
Good luck and let me know how your case goes guys!
Hi @Bear60 , I've observed the same thing from the others' comments and sources. We are also planning to apply for spouse OWP within a few days. By the way good luck for your application and hope everything happens smoothly...
IRCC should be addressed to these circumstances, as the PGWP approval time is extending drasically.