+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP Extension Queries

Aug 30, 2016
Hi there,

My Spouse is currently in Canada working for an employer(non-LMIA).
He had received the ‘Spousal Open Work Permit’ (open for any employer) based on my Study Permit for a 1 year course. Therefore, his OWP expires this year end.
However, I have extended my course to a 2-year course and so we are applying for an extension for our permits.
While filling the IMM5710E document, I am having a few queries which I wished to clarify.

1. We are applying for extension to my Study Permit and his Open Work Permit together online. In the portal; For him there are only two column IMM5710E and passport. The portal asked my photo, but it doesn’t ask my spouse’s digital photo.

2. Also, my spouse wish to get ‘Open Work Permit’ with the same conditions as earlier simply with an extension of another year. Which option out of these should he select?
1. A work permit with the same employer
2. An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
3. Restoration of your status as a worker
4. Temporary resident visa

I know there have been many threads regarding second question, but we are still confused while applying. Any help, explanation of any kind is appreciated.

Thanks!!

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Hi there,

My Spouse is currently in Canada working for an employer(non-LMIA).
He had received the ‘Spousal Open Work Permit’ (open for any employer) based on my Study Permit for a 1 year course. Therefore, his OWP expires this year end.
However, I have extended my course to a 2-year course and so we are applying for an extension for our permits.
While filling the IMM5710E document, I am having a few queries which I wished to clarify.

1. We are applying for extension to my Study Permit and his Open Work Permit together online. In the portal; For him there are only two column IMM5710E and passport. The portal asked my photo, but it doesn’t ask my spouse’s digital photo.
Are you applying together in one online application? if they didn't ask for your spouses digital photo. then you dont have to upload it. however, if you are in doubt, you can upload it in the additional documents/explanation letter section

2. Also, my spouse wish to get ‘Open Work Permit’ with the same conditions as earlier simply with an extension of another year. Which option out of these should he select?
1. A work permit with the same employer
2. An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
3. Restoration of your status as a worker
4. Temporary resident visa

I know there have been many threads regarding second question, but we are still confused while applying. Any help, explanation of any kind is appreciated.

Thanks!!