+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP chances of getting a job from home country

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
Hi! I have a question on finding a job from outside Canada. Is it possible to get a job from outside Canada if the person holds a open work permit? Have there been any success stories of landing a job in the data science domain?

Skeptical about going to Canada and searching for a job given the current situation, as it would incur huge outflows of savings if we don't find a job in 3 months.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! I have a question on finding a job from outside Canada. Is it possible to get a job from outside Canada if the person holds a open work permit? Have there been any success stories of landing a job in the data science domain?

Skeptical about going to Canada and searching for a job given the current situation, as it would incur huge outflows of savings if we don't find a job in 3 months.

Very hard to say. Really depends how specialized your skills are, whether they are in demand and whether people are actually hiring at the moment. It is certainly harder. If you have an SOWP your partner must already be in Canada or going to Canada so expenses are unavoidable.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Data science is a desired occupation and it may be possible to secure a job from outside of Canada. However this will very largely depend on your profile. Things such as:
- Education (PhD is strongly preferred)
- Languages and level of expertise / experience in each
- Work experience (have you worked for large multinationals with name recognition)
- Types of project / portolio of past projects

Reactions: Jedi_Returns

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
;0
Very hard to say. Really depends how specialized your skills are, whether they are in demand and whether people are actually hiring at the moment. It is certainly harder. If you have an SOWP your partner must already be in Canada or going to Canada so expenses are unavoidable.
Thank you so much for your response. We are yet to travel, and wanted to know of our realistic chances of getting a job because both of us will be quitting our jobs to move to Canada. If there was no pandemic it would have been a very easy decision. :)

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
Data science is a desired occupation and it may be possible to secure a job from outside of Canada. However this will very largely depend on your profile. Things such as:
- Education (PhD is strongly preferred)
- Languages and level of expertise / experience in each
- Work experience (have you worked for large multinationals with name recognition)
- Types of project / portolio of past projects
Thank you for your inputs! Don't have a PhD, only a Masters degree. But the other criteria matches well, will try hard to find a job till we reach Canada. I know it is very difficult to answer this, but do you think based upon your expertise that it would be a realistic expectation to land a job in 3 to 4 months after reaching Canada.

Also, both our permits were approved around 11th March. Would we be allowed to enter Canada together?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your inputs! Don't have a PhD, only a Masters degree. But the other criteria matches well, will try hard to find a job till we reach Canada. I know it is very difficult to answer this, but do you think based upon your expertise that it would be a realistic expectation to land a job in 3 to 4 months after reaching Canada.

Also, both our permits were approved around 11th March. Would we be allowed to enter Canada together?
I have no idea if the 3-4 months is realistic. COVID-19 has changed everything and employment has slowed down. It's really had to comment on the job market right now and where it will be in a few months.

In terms of coming to Canada, based on experienced here, you will not be allowed to board a plane and come to Canada right now since there is a travel ban is in place and your reasons for travel will be classified as non-essential (unless you can prove you have a job offer in which case you should be allowed to board). You will most likely have to wait untilt the travel ban has been lifted before you will be able to fly here. Right now the ban is in place until end of June.

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
I have no idea if the 3-4 months is realistic. COVID-19 has changed everything and employment has slowed down. It's really had to comment on the job market right now and where it will be in a few months.

In terms of coming to Canada, based on experienced here, you will not be allowed to board a plane and come to Canada right now since there is a travel ban is in place and your reasons for travel will be classified as non-essential (unless you can prove you have a job offer in which case you should be allowed to board). You will most likely have to wait untilt the travel ban has been lifted before you will be able to fly here. Right now the ban is in place until end of June.
Thank you for your reply! Really appreciate it, yes I guess we'll have to wait for a few months and see how it goes. :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Either you or your spouse are studying so the student could make the move initially while one person remains workin* in the home country. Where is school? Although I know jobs can be done remotely but data science jobs are mostly located in a few cities. The economy and covid has essentially put a lot of hiring on hold. When it comes to specialized positions the Jobs aren’t always available in regular intervals so it is hard to plan. There may be no job postings for a few months and then a few openings all of a sudden. Not sure if you have any connections in the industry in Canada but would suggest targeting some of the larger companies and contacting their HR department with a little paragraph about yourself, that you are relocating to Canada while your wife attends school, that you have a work permit already and that you are looking for opportunities in whatever field interests you/what area you have been working in and attach you4 CV. For smaller companies or research groups would reach out to someone if they don’t have an HR person. From the responses you may get an idea of whether hiring will be frozen for a while or you may even be given some leads.

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
Either you or your spouse are studying so the student could make the move initially while one person remains workin* in the home country. Where is school? Although I know jobs can be done remotely but data science jobs are mostly located in a few cities. The economy and covid has essentially put a lot of hiring on hold. When it comes to specialized positions the Jobs aren’t always available in regular intervals so it is hard to plan. There may be no job postings for a few months and then a few openings all of a sudden. Not sure if you have any connections in the industry in Canada but would suggest targeting some of the larger companies and contacting their HR department with a little paragraph about yourself, that you are relocating to Canada while your wife attends school, that you have a work permit already and that you are looking for opportunities in whatever field interests you/what area you have been working in and attach you4 CV. For smaller companies or research groups would reach out to someone if they don’t have an HR person. From the responses you may get an idea of whether hiring will be frozen for a while or you may even be given some leads.
Thank you so much for the detailed guidance. We'll be staying in Halifax. My husband doesn't have any HR connects in Canada yet. He did try talking to a few people on LinkedIn, who suggested that it would be difficult to get a job from outside Canada because of the travel restrictions and uncertain business conditions. I'm the student, I have a verbal contractual job offer from my current organisation but can't count on it unless it's on paper. We are yet to travel, so probably I'll move first and try converting my job offer. Thanks again for your inputs. Appreciate all the good work you are doing. :)