+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP can continue working after spouse graduate?

marcelod

Star Member
Oct 15, 2020
Hi all,

My wife is graduating in April and my OWP expires at the end of july. Can i continue working after my wife graduation up to my permit expires?

Thanks in advance.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Yes, you can then she can change your status to visitor until she proves she is working in NOC A, B OR 0 plus 3 payslips; that's when you can apply for a new OWP.

Hudzon

Jan 4, 2021
Yes, you can then she can change your status to visitor until she proves she is working in NOC A, B OR 0 plus 3 payslips; that's when you can apply for a new OWP.
What is the procedure for changing status to visitor? Is it exactly same as applying for a visiting visa for husband? And any idea, how long will it take for the approval?

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
What is the procedure for changing status to visitor? Is it exactly same as applying for a visiting visa for husband? And any idea, how long will it take for the approval?
Yes. I have no idea about how long it takes, maybe the same time with PGWP.

Reactions: Hudzon

Hudzon

Jan 4, 2021
Yes. I have no idea about how long it takes, maybe the same time with PGWP.
Can student start working full time, after completion of studies but before applying pgwp? Eg. Study permit valid till July, but course completes by April. In this case, can student work full time between April-June then apply for pgwp?

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Can student start working full time, after completion of studies but before applying pgwp? Eg. Study permit valid till July, but course completes by April. In this case, can student work full time between April-June then apply for pgwp?
No. You can only start working after you submit your PGWP. So, you will stop working part-time when you receive your graduation confirmation.

marcelod

Star Member
Oct 15, 2020
I mean my permit is valid until July 2021, so, can I continuing working until this date?

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
I mean my permit is valid until July 2021, so, can I continuing working until this date?
Once you get your final transcripts or graduation confirmation, you can't work even if your permit is still showing; it will expire in July. You have to submit a PGWP application to continue working.

marcelod

Star Member
Oct 15, 2020
For Visibility:

Spouses or common-law partners of full-time students (C42)

If the spouse or common-law partner of a full-time student is issued a work permit under C42 (Spouses or common-law partners of full-time students [C42]) before the change of status (either visitor or worker) of the student, the work permit (C42) of the spouse or common-law partner remains valid until it expires or becomes invalid.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/assessing-conditions.html#spouse-students