+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP approved, should I cancel my visitor extension application

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
I have applied for SOWP, then as a back-up I have applied for visitor record extension before my maintained status kicked-off. My OWP has now been approvevd, should I cancel my visitor extension application?

I expect I won't get a refund on the visitor application, therefore I am tempted to not bother contacting IRCC, but would there be any issues once they get to my visitor extension application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have applied for SOWP, then as a back-up I have applied for visitor record extension before my maintained status kicked-off. My OWP has now been approvevd, should I cancel my visitor extension application?

I expect I won't get a refund on the visitor application, therefore I am tempted to not bother contacting IRCC, but would there be any issues once they get to my visitor extension application?
Would send In a webform indicating that you have received OWP. It is a good faith gesture plus you are supposed to update IRCC about any changes to your file and you may be able to get a refund or partial refund. Always worth shot.

Tarikla

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
Raise a webform, saying that you got an OWP and wish to withdraw your visitor record application. Refund or not, as Canuck said you must warn IRCC of any change in your status, and other people on this forum got a refund in the past in similar situations. No guarantee on that, but it's definitively worth a try.

Ideally, you'd want to raise a web form, and then call IRCC on Tuesday morning when they open so that an officer can look at the webform ASAP, if you wanna maximize your chances at a refund.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
Thanks, do I need to send also a separate webform for my PR application to inform them that my status changed from visitor to worker? Isn't IRCC able to see that themselves?

I have been told to send only strictly necessary updates to IRCC as each webform sent may delay the PR application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, do I need to send also a separate webform for my PR application to inform them that my status changed from visitor to worker? Isn't IRCC able to see that themselves?

I have been told to send only strictly necessary updates to IRCC as each webform sent may delay the PR application.
Webforms don’t delay applications unless the webform contains information that would lead to a delay. You would think that the IRCC system could recognize different applications at one time but sadly it rarely does so it is best to send in a webform.