+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP along with Study Permit processing time

hsieh82

Jun 2, 2020
Hi guys,

I applied for my study permit along with my wife's spouse open work permit on April 7. We both completed our biometrics on Apr 9 and received medical requests on May 7 together. Medical exam completed on May 18 and the doctor confirmed that our results were uploaded on May 25. On May 27, my study permit was approved along with a new eTA. However, my wife's SOWP hasn't even been updated for the medical results. Her status is still indicating "Your action is required" and "We have requested a medical exam." It's a bit confusing because I've heard that if the study permit and SOWP are submitted together as a package, applicants usually receive their results at the same time. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Thanks!

background:
Taiwanese applicants, applied from Taiwan and the documents should be sent to Hong Kong. I'm a fully-funded PhD student at Simon Fraser University with sufficient proof of funding (of two people). We both showed strong family ties in our home country and have no bad record of travelling in any country, including Canada.

Reactions: vikenfirakezi

vikenfirakezi

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
Hello from the other side.
Hasn't Taiwan had any lockdown? Fair to confess u had a swift processing.
SOWP might be processed a bit longer. Hopefully you will get that either.
As is understood, the intake is fall 2020?

hsieh82

Jun 2, 2020
Hello from the other side.
Hasn't Taiwan had any lockdown? Fair to confess u had a swift processing.
SOWP might be processed a bit longer. Hopefully you will get that either.
As is understood, the intake is fall 2020?
No, actually we didn't experience any "lockdown" like western countries or China. There are less than 20 confirmed cases that are still under treatment in Taiwan. We are doing business as usual, except that everyone is wearing a mask and trying to maintain social distancing. That's why I can still complete my biometrics and medical exam during this unusual time.

Thanks for your information and yes, the intake is fall 2020.

Reactions: vikenfirakezi

_denise

Aug 27, 2019
Hi hsieh82, I'm in a similar situation with my husband's SOWP, could you give an update on your case? Thanks in advanced! Hope everything is going well for you guys.

hsieh82

Jun 2, 2020
Hi hsieh82, I'm in a similar situation with my husband's SOWP, could you give an update on your case? Thanks in advanced! Hope everything is going well for you guys.
Hi Denise,

My wife's SOWP was approved last month. Her application was delayed because she was requested to retake the medical exam, and that took us almost three months to finish the whole process. I'm sure that the IRCC is still processing the SOWP, but it may take longer than usual because of the Covid. Hope the best for you guys!

Reactions: _denise

_denise

Aug 27, 2019
Thanks for your quick response and, most importantly, for giving us hope again! Glad everything worked out! Have a lovely rest of your week.

_denise

Aug 27, 2019
Hi Our SP and SOWP were approved together. Have you raised webform?
Hello! Yeah, I've heard that some SP + SOWP are approved together. I have not sent a webform since this was just a few hours ago, but will consider to do so if we don't get an answer for his SOWP soon... Maybe a couple weeks of waiting before I send it? Do you think is best to send it before?

DianaFilip

Star Member
Jul 14, 2020
Hello! Yeah, I've heard that some SP + SOWP are approved together. I have not sent a webform since this was just a few hours ago, but will consider to do so if we don't get an answer for his SOWP soon... Maybe a couple weeks of waiting before I send it? Do you think is best to send it before?
There is no harm asking status anytime.

Reactions: _denise

nataliamia

May 23, 2021
Denise!!!’ How many weeks after not getting the SOWP you sent the webform? I know you finally got your spouse visa from Mexico . You responded me in another forum but I am in a case where we have been waiting more than 16 weeks without response for my husband’s owp and I tried to contact the embassy in Mexico City and no response. I sent 2 webforms and no response.
can you advise me in your timeline when did you Contact the embassy how many times and if you got response?
Thank you in advance.

Sidm786

Dec 30, 2020
Hi,

Does anyone know if I have to submit the forms for my spouse along with my application or have to create a separate account for him? I am applying for mine and my husband's OWP under the new policy.

firecracker

Jan 28, 2022
Hi,

Does anyone know if I have to submit the forms for my spouse along with my application or have to create a separate account for him? I am applying for mine and my husband's OWP under the new policy.
You can submit both applications at the same time, but don't forget to sign the use of a family representative form. When you complete the online form it will ask you if you want to submit an application for another person and it'll show you what forms to fill.