+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

South Korean Criminal History Information VS Criminal Records Certificate?

bdimmigration

Jun 20, 2011
I am a US citizen applying for Permanent Residency in Quebec via Common Law sponsorship.

I reside in Quebec and have submitted my application outland to Buffalo and included a clean Criminal Record Certificate from South Korea (having lived in South Korea for one year previously) in the application.

I have just received an email acknowledging the receipt of my Criminal Record Certificate but also requesting a Criminal History Information Record.

1. What is the difference between Criminal Record Certificate and Criminal History Information?

2. The link I follow to learn more tells me "Please note that Criminal Record Certificates issued by the Korean National Police outside Korea are not sufficient for immigration purposes." ... in that case what should I do?

Thanks for your help!

lovelyjune81

Oct 21, 2011
I am curious too about this, i will apply PR inside Korea because I live in here for more than 2 years. So any clue, what kind of criminal background check in Korea?

Momolar

Aug 25, 2010
Hi,

The information below is from the "Embassy of the Republic of Korea to Canada" website. There is an attachement on the website for the Power of Attorney Form. If I remember correctly, it took about a day to get the Information History and translated to English. Cost was about $100 CAD (History, translation to English, and Notarized,).

● Immigration (to Canada) purpose

In order to obtain Criminal History Information Record (Bumjoi Gyung-ryuck, Soosa Gyung-ryuck Jo Hoi Hoibi-Seo) for whose who had lived in Korea and intend to apply a permanent residency to Canada, they can delegate the authority to a representative (a family member or a friend) in Korea by:

1. Fill out Power of Attorney and get it notarized by a lawyer or a notary public in Canada
2. Get a consular seal on notarized Power of Attorney from Korean Embassy or the near Consular General of Korea in Canada
3. Send it to the representative in Korea let them to obtain the Criminal History Information Record on behalf of you.

Criminal History Information Record is issued only in Korean so it is recommended to get a certified translation to English in Korea.

Below is a sample of the power of Attorney Form (.

시민권자의 위임장
POWER OF ATTORNEY
위 임 자(본인) Personal Information
한국이름(Name in Korean) 영문이름(Name in English)
생년월일(Date of Birth) 성별(Sex)
여권번호(Passport No) 시민권번호(Citizenship No)
현주소(Present Address)
캐나다내전화(Home Telephone)
피 위 임 자 (대 리 인) Representative
성명(Name) 생년월일(Date of Birth)
주소(Address)
사 용 용 도 (Usage of This Document)

Applicant's Signature(본인성명) :
Date : . . .

는(은) 위에 기재된 사항이 진실하며 위 사서증서에 본인이 서명날인한 것임을
본 공증인의 면전에서 자인하였다. 본 공증인은 위 인증한다.

I, A NOTARY PUBLIC. DO HEREBY CERTIFY THAT ON THE DAY
OF , 200 ,. PERSONALLY APPEARED BEFORT ME, , WHO, BEING BY
ME FIRST DULY SWORN, DECLARED THAT HE(SHE) IS THE PERSON WHO SIGNED THE
FOREGOING STATEMENT AND THAT THE STATEMENTS ARE TRUE AND CORRECT.

NOTARY PUBLIC

PRINTED NAME SEAL
COMMISSION NO
MY COMMISSION EXPIRES
TELEPHONE NO
ADDRESS
SIGNATURE OF NOTARY

★ 동 예문은 신청자의 편의를 도모하기 위한 안내 자료인바, 동 예문을 참고하여 신청자가 적의 작성하시기 바랍니다.

Hope this helps.

bdimmigration

Jun 20, 2011
emmagail said:
Why are ye so worried about background checks??
"Criminal Record Certificate" has been submitted and is CLEAN.

They also require "Criminal History Information" so I'd like to know the difference, please.

de_to_ca

May 6, 2012
Criminal history information record is for immigration purposes, and criminal record check from KNPC is for non-immigration purposes.

tikya

Star Member
Sep 4, 2012
App. Filed.......
01-11-2017
Need help!!!

We are here in Canada and we need to obtain this CHRI. How can we get this if we don't have any representative in South Korea? please help.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
To the OP, you need to submit a Criminal History Information Record issued by the KNPC in Korea, translated and notarized. You can read about it here;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/korea-south.asp

Be sure to follow the sample form at the bottom of the page exactly. Korea has some very strange ways of keeping criminal records. If you don't follow that sample form to the letter, your result might be incomplete. I know, because I didn't follow the form exactly for my wife's application and CIC requested another one. That was difficult to get as we had already moved to Canada.

I am not sure what a Criminal Record Certificate is.

If you are not in Korea and wish to obtain the CHIR, you will need to follow the process described in Momolar's post. Go to the Korean embassy and have them complete the Power of Attorney appointing someone you know in Korea to do the search for you. In Toronto they charged my wife six bucks for the power of attorney. We sent that off to one of my wife's friends in Korea who then completed the search and had it translated/notarized there.

tikya said:
Need help!!!

We are here in Canada and we need to obtain this CHRI. How can we get this if we don't have any representative in South Korea? please help.
If you don't have someone in Korea to do it for you, apparently there is a way to do it but my knowledge of it is limited. When CIC requested the second CHIR for my wife she called the police station in Korea where she did the initial search. They said that the main KNPC office in Seoul could, for a fee, do the search for you if you provided them with the Power of Attorney document described in Momolar's post. In the end we just had my wife's friend do it for us, so I'm not sure exactly what that process entails or how much it costs. If you have a Korean speaking friend who could call the KNPC office in Seoul on your behalf you might get better information on how to do it. Alternatively you might go to their website and email them in English. My guess is that someone who reads English might respond. Hope that helps. Good luck.

ricoceliks

Nov 17, 2012
bartjones said:
To the OP, you need to submit a Criminal History Information Record issued by the KNPC in Korea, translated and notarized. You can read about it here;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/korea-south.asp

Be sure to follow the sample form at the bottom of the page exactly. Korea has some very strange ways of keeping criminal records. If you don't follow that sample form to the letter, your result might be incomplete. I know, because I didn't follow the form exactly for my wife's application and CIC requested another one. That was difficult to get as we had already moved to Canada.

I am not sure what a Criminal Record Certificate is.

If you are not in Korea and wish to obtain the CHIR, you will need to follow the process described in Momolar's post. Go to the Korean embassy and have them complete the Power of Attorney appointing someone you know in Korea to do the search for you. In Toronto they charged my wife six bucks for the power of attorney. We sent that off to one of my wife's friends in Korea who then completed the search and had it translated/notarized there.

If you don't have someone in Korea to do it for you, apparently there is a way to do it but my knowledge of it is limited. When CIC requested the second CHIR for my wife she called the police station in Korea where she did the initial search. They said that the main KNPC office in Seoul could, for a fee, do the search for you if you provided them with the Power of Attorney document described in Momolar's post. In the end we just had my wife's friend do it for us, so I'm not sure exactly what that process entails or how much it costs. If you have a Korean speaking friend who could call the KNPC office in Seoul on your behalf you might get better information on how to do it. Alternatively you might go to their website and email them in English. My guess is that someone who reads English might respond. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Hi there,

Just had my POA stamp and sealed at the Korean embassy in vancouver for $4 and send it to my friend in korea but when my friend show the POA to the local police station in korea ,the officer said they won't issue certificates..I had to go to Korean consulte in Canada and do it personally...I wasted my time and only have 2wks to meet my deadline..
Pls. Send me new info. On what is really the right thing to do...
Thanks

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
ricoceliks said:
Hi there,

Just had my POA stamp and sealed at the Korean embassy in vancouver for $4 and send it to my friend in korea but when my friend show the POA to the local police station in korea ,the officer said they won't issue certificates..I had to go to Korean consulte in Canada and do it personally...I wasted my time and only have 2wks to meet my deadline..
Pls. Send me new info. On what is really the right thing to do...
Thanks
Why wouldn't the police issue the certificate? My wife has now done this three times from Canada using the exact procedure I described, as recently as last month, without a problem.

holyroller12

Apr 23, 2012
Quick question: When I have the document translated, does the translation need to be notarized? Who can do the translation? Does it have to be an agency or can I get a friend to do it for me who is Korean?

Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
holyroller12 said:
Quick question: When I have the document translated, does the translation need to be notarized? Who can do the translation? Does it have to be an agency or can I get a friend to do it for me who is Korean?

Thanks!
Translations of official documents always need to be certified/notarized. If you go to any official translation services company or a lawyer that offers this service, they will usually include the certification as part of their translations.
It is not advisable to just get a friend to translate your docs.

holyroller12

Apr 23, 2012
Hi there. I was asking about translation in an earlier post.

I have received my Criminal Investigation Records Check Reply from South Korea. The document appears to be translated, as there are English words listed under each set of Korean characters. Do I still need to get it translated, or is this copy sufficient for my application?

Thanks!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
holyroller12 said:
Hi there. I was asking about translation in an earlier post.

I have received my Criminal Investigation Records Check Reply from South Korea. The document appears to be translated, as there are English words listed under each set of Korean characters. Do I still need to get it translated, or is this copy sufficient for my application?

Thanks!
It doesn't need to be translated if it's in both languages.

Jroberts

Nov 4, 2014
I'm a US citizen living in Canada with my husband. I was hoping someone may have figured out the problem of not having a power of attorney in South Korea? I haven't lived in SK for a few years now and don't know anyone left who could do this for me? CIC has given us until January 27th to obtain one and I'm not sure what to do? Please help!