+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

South Korea police certificate

rezasorna

Star Member
May 21, 2013
Hi,

I have a very urgent question regarding Korean police certificate. CIC instructions are very confusing. CIC asks for criminal records(including lapsed criminal sentences), investigation records (범죄경력(실효된 형 포함), 수사경력). Even Korean consulate in Vancouver did not know exactly what should be done to get this. I already have a PC but it doesn't have lapsed records.

It seems this version of the certificate including the lapsed sentences are only issued inside Korea. Korean consulate in Vancouver told me I can send a power of attorney document to a friend inside Korea and he can get it for me. I am not sure besides this POA certificate, is there anything else ( like a filled application form) which I have to send to my friend.

The Korean police website is in Korean 100% and I have no clue what to do?
Is there anyone here who did this before. I appreciate your help.
I have only 30 days left to submit my application. Getting nervous.

I feel very stressed about this. Thanks for your help in advance

taffytoffy

Nov 17, 2016
Not sure if I replied on time, but you are correct: the consulate overseas cannot issue such certificate and you have to ask your friend in Korea to represent you. As for other forms you need to prepare and what to mail to your friend, please refer to my article on my blog: Step-by-step guide to get your Korea Police Certificate:

taffytoffy.wordpress.com/2016/11/17/korea-police-certificate-a-step-by-step-guide-%E9%9F%A9%E5%9B%BD%E6%97%A0%E7%8A%AF%E7%BD%AA%E8%AF%81%E6%98%8E/

Reactions: Jojii

Jojii

Star Member
Jun 13, 2012
NOC Code......
Not sure if I replied on time, but you are correct: the consulate overseas cannot issue such certificate and you have to ask your friend in Korea to represent you. As for other forms you need to prepare and what to mail to your friend, please refer to my article on my blog: Step-by-step guide to get your Korea Police Certificate:

taffytoffy.wordpress.com/2016/11/17/korea-police-certificate-a-step-by-step-guide-%E9%9F%A9%E5%9B%BD%E6%97%A0%E7%8A%AF%E7%BD%AA%E8%AF%81%E6%98%8E/
This was an amazing blog post. It is so so helpful.
thanks a lot.

Is this blog written by you?

KlausKarp

Dec 5, 2016
Maple Ridge, BC
LANDED..........
9 July 2018
Hi, we just ran into the same problem! It seems though the Korean embassy in Shanghai will be able to provide us with this document within a week.

In our case, the whole application was rejected though, which is a bit annoying. I just posted a new thread regarding this. I would be interested to know how you resolved this issue. Was your application also rejected?

After an only two-month review process, my application got rejected. The police certificate I handed is is incorrect and I need to get a new one. No problem there, I just find the measure of outrightly "rejecting" the application too cumbersome, i.e. back to the beginning.

Is there a way to convince the CIC to not to outright REJECT/cancel the application, instead putting it on hold and asking for "review of additional documents"?

Getting the new police certificate will be only a matter of days, but as we are square zero again, have to go through the express entry application, the application pool, the invitation to apply, and the whole residence permit application. Is there any point in using the IRCC web form ("If you think we should not have cancelled your application, let us know by using the IRCC web form.")?

mnupadhya

Aug 1, 2017
Hi, we just ran into the same problem! It seems though the Korean embassy in Shanghai will be able to provide us with this document within a week.

In our case, the whole application was rejected though, which is a bit annoying. I just posted a new thread regarding this. I would be interested to know how you resolved this issue. Was your application also rejected?

After an only two-month review process, my application got rejected. The police certificate I handed is is incorrect and I need to get a new one. No problem there, I just find the measure of outrightly "rejecting" the application too cumbersome, i.e. back to the beginning.

Is there a way to convince the CIC to not to outright REJECT/cancel the application, instead putting it on hold and asking for "review of additional documents"?

Getting the new police certificate will be only a matter of days, but as we are square zero again, have to go through the express entry application, the application pool, the invitation to apply, and the whole residence permit application. Is there any point in using the IRCC web form ("If you think we should not have cancelled your application, let us know by using the IRCC web form.")?
I have run into the same problem as well.
My application has been rejected yesterday. Did you find any way to challenge/appeal against the rejection?

KlausKarp

Dec 5, 2016
Maple Ridge, BC
LANDED..........
9 July 2018
Oh, sorry for the late reply.
Well, I wrote them a message via the online mask, they wrote back after 2 weeks, simply referring me to the rejection letter, not really addressing the issue.
Turned out to be no big problem, it's a very straightforward process to get the police certificate, even if you're not in Korea yourself. Mail me if you run into problems getting the police certificate; the paperwork (which fortunately my wife did) seems a lot, but manageable.

... Handed in the express entry right away, got drawn right away, and am currently again under review. As said, the rejection simply delayed the process for a few months and caused more work for the CIC, which is no re-reviewing all my documents for the 2nd time.
Fingers crossed.