+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sons passport expired(indian passport). Do i need to renew it before the canada citizenship application.

mathenagsatish

Oct 9, 2013
Hi All , Good morning.
Sons passport expired(indian passport).
1. Do i need to renew it before the canada citizenship application or can i apply passport after i start my canadin citizenship application.
2. Do i need to renew it at all.

Thanks you in advance.
Nag .

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi All , Good morning.
1. Do i need to renew it before the canada citizenship application or can i apply passport after i start my canadin citizenship application.

Thanks you in advance.
Nag .
I know for sure if there is a break between two passport because of delay in renewing, IRCC do ask for reason. So I feel they expect you to hold a valid passport. Will let others chime in.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi All , Good morning.

Thanks you in advance.
Nag .
If you are not travelling anytime soon, you do not really require the passport to be renewed
During the pandemic time lot of folks who applied for citizenship did not renew their passport because they were not travelling

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
If you are not travelling anytime soon, you do not really require the passport to be renewed
During the pandemic time lot of folks who applied for citizenship did not renew their passport because they were not travelling
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

I was just worried about "Question 14." about the need for an explanation and what would be good one :)

mathenagsatish

Oct 9, 2013
it says
"
  1. Colour photocopy of all pages (valid or expired) of your passport(s) or travel document(s)during your (5) year eligibility period, including the biographical page which includes: name, photo, date and place of birth, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date.
    • If you do not have these documents or there is missing time between the validity dates of the travel documents, provide an explanation in question 14 on the application form.
"

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@mathenagsatish see my message above.
You don't need to renew anything, unless you want your kid to travel before having a Canadian passport.
Provide the passport copy of the expired document, and give a short explanation in the lines of "didn't need to renew".
Having a valid passport is not a citizenship application requirement.

mathenagsatish

Oct 9, 2013
@mathenagsatish see my message above.
You don't need to renew anything, unless you want your kid to travel before having a Canadian passport.
Provide the passport copy of the expired document, and give a short explanation in the lines of "didn't need to renew".
Having a valid passport is not a citizenship application requirement.
Thanks a lot. And one last thing, what if situations gets changed and i wanted to renew it after i started citizenship application(before its finalized)? will that be a problem.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks a lot. And one last thing, what if situations gets changed and i wanted to renew it after i started citizenship application(before its finalized)? will that be a problem.
You dont need to update if your document changes
e.g. for our minor's application we provided Health Card which was coming up for renewal (it was still valid at the time of submission).
After 2 months we renewed the health card but we did not send the copy of the new health card after we received the new card via the webform.

Last edited:

mathenagsatish

Oct 9, 2013
You dont need to update if your document changes
e.g. for our minor's application we provided Health Card which was coming up for renewal (it was still valid at the time of submission).
After 2 months we renewed the health card but we did send the copy of the new health card after we received the new card via the webform.
Thanks a lot.