Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey again,

I have some concerns about reason the government deems as appropriate to deny an application. Here are some details and I'm hoping someone can tell me if they are sufficient reasons for denying my PR application or my fiance's sponsorship application?

1. We are both divorced and started our relationship together while separated from those ex-spouses. She has a 2-year-old daughter.
2. She is 35 and I am 25.
3. I have a poor credit rating and owe $ on student loans, etc.
4. Her ex-husband may end up being our landlord. (weird I know - blame the housing market crash LOL)

Thanks so much if you are able to shed light on any of the above!!!! :)

-wolf

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
who is sponsoring whom?

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
the way i see this none of these are reasons for denial persay... 1 and 2 *may* raise red flags and drive an interview, but they might not... it's hard to say... depends on the VO, cultural norms and the overall strength of your application.... make sure your relationship proof is strong enough to overcome doubts that these two factors may introduce to the situation.

3 and 4 are your business and likely wouldn't even really come onto a VOs radar unless you brought them up willingly... they don't ask/care about your credit rating/outstanding debt (as long as it's not to them, and the sponsor isn't on social assistance), nor do they really inquire as to your housing arrangements (if he lived WITH you, that may be considered another red flag)

good luck

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Additionally, I am a student right now so will that impact the application as well?

Thanks!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
pseudowolf said:
I have some concerns about reason the government deems as appropriate to deny an application. Here are some details and I'm hoping someone can tell me if they are sufficient reasons for denying my PR application or my fiance's sponsorship application?

1. We are both divorced and started our relationship together while separated from those ex-spouses. She has a 2-year-old daughter.
2. She is 35 and I am 25.
3. I have a poor credit rating and owe $ on student loans, etc.
4. Her ex-husband may end up being our landlord. (weird I know - blame the housing market crash LOL)
3 and 4 don't matter at all, and there is no reason for them to be mentioned in the application. If asked about either at interview, don't lie, but I highly doubt you will be asked. As long as the ex-husband isn't actually going to be living with you, it won't be an issue.

The fact that the applicant is a student doesn't matter. The visa officer wants to be satisfied that the applicant will be able to support himself once in Canada, but it is generally assumed that a young person will be willing to work, unless there is a lot of evidence to the contrary.

1 and 2 would be an issue in an arranged marriage from India, for example. If this is a Canadian/American relationship, they are less of a problem, since it is common for Canadians and Americans to get divorced and to remarry. In your proof of a genuine relationship, include evidence that you have a good relationship with the daughter and are involved in her life.
The age difference, with the wife older, is a bit of a red flag, but just increase the amount of relationship proof you submit. If asked about it at interview, just state that the two of you do not care about the age difference.

KarenCee

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Georgia, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Soooo...would the immigration officer look at a married couple of say 12 years in which there is an age difference with the wife being older - even if it is a Canadian/American marriage? I'd say 12 years together is proof that it's a good solid marriage. I know more proofs are needed as with all cases, but just wondering... :)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
A marriage that has lasted for 12 years will almost certainly be found to be genuine. In this case I doubt the visa officer would even question you about the age difference, but if he/she does, just say that it doesn't matter to you. Actually, if you send in enough evidence, you probably won't be interviewed.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
A marriage that has lasted for 12 years will almost certainly be found to be genuine.
If not the fraudsters are deadly serious, and really stupid to wait so long :)

Sorry I just had to say it ;D ;D ;D

Even the most miserable IO should see that you are serious about each other after 12 years.

KarenCee

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Georgia, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, I figured, but had to ask...I've learned in this life not to assume I know the answer to everything. ;D

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KarenCee said:
Yeah, I figured, but had to ask...I've learned in this life not to assume I know the answer to everything. ;D
Always a good way to proceed :)

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
canadianwoman said:
A marriage that has lasted for 12 years will almost certainly be found to be genuine. In this case I doubt the visa officer would even question you about the age difference, but if he/she does, just say that it doesn't matter to you. Actually, if you send in enough evidence, you probably won't be interviewed.
Be careful. "Genuine" is not about how long a couple has been in relationship - it's about whether the relationship is primarily for the purpose of the foreign national getting into Canada. Granted, most long term marriages are about more than immigration or they wouldn't have stood the test of time - but that's not always true. Married partners are not even required to have been living together - 12 years or not - so you need to consider CIC's objective when providing evidence of the "genuine" relationship.

KarenCee

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Georgia, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can understand that thought process. We will definitely give them plenty of proof - and not just pics. We have a mortgage, we've co-mingled our assets and bank accounts, all sorts of financial proof. We have people ready to write letters of support that know us and can attest to our relationship. To be quite honest, when we first got married the thoughts of someday immigrating to Canada never crossed our minds. It's just been in the last year that we started toying with the idea of moving and now we've become quite definite in our plans.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
my moms and dads are still legally married, but haven't cohabitated or even had a civil conversation since the early 80s ;)

i would assume the burden of proof is showing both genuine and ongoing :) for someone with a 12 year genuine and ongoing marriage/relationship, this shouldn't really be all that challenging :)

Jez

Jul 26, 2010
Gatineau, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/9/2010
AOR Received.
2/12/2010
File Transfer...
20/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/7/2010
Passport Req..
8/2/2011
VISA ISSUED...
5/3/2011
LANDED..........
24/3/2011
Save some money, apply for visa after you've known each other at least a year and, if approved, rent a different property where your partner's ex-husband IS NOT YOUR LANDLORD. Seriously dude, you're opening up a can of worms with that genius proposal of yours.

But seriously, the divorce/kid/student-loan/ex-husband-landlord thing isn't grounds for denying you a visa.

However, if you're going to apply before you're married, conditions for Common-law sponsorship are that you have lived "together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted". If you're married, you're married - that's different.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp