+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some Reasons for Denial

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
I 100% agree with chelley and RobsLuv. The past and the number of years might only play a minor role when couples have been in a relationship over a longer period. It's not about proving that you've been married for the last 150 years. It's more about what's been going on over the last 12 months and the perspective for the next 12 months...

@ pseudowolf: I disagree with Jez. The the 'divorce/kid/student-loan/ex-husband-landlord thing' IS grounds for denying you a visa. The ex-husband thing is very tricky. As she's Canadian, CIC might find out about this. you guys need a damn good and convincing story that is really bullet-proof. The 10-years age difference alone will raise questions. I'd be very surprised if you won't get at least an interview. If you have enough financial resources, get professional and qualified advise. This is by far not an easy case. good luck!

Jez

Jul 26, 2010
Gatineau, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/9/2010
AOR Received.
2/12/2010
File Transfer...
20/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/7/2010
Passport Req..
8/2/2011
VISA ISSUED...
5/3/2011
LANDED..........
24/3/2011
To spell it out for those of you... Worry about solidifying your relationship before factoring in subsequent issues.

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, thanks for all the advice. We are getting our own place together so the Landlord thing is out thank goodness. I'm still curious why people on the forum are always saying whether it's a first marriage or not. Does being divorced really count? I mean I was married to a woman who turned out to be a drug addict, lying to me about some fatal disease she didn't really have so no guesses there as to why I divorced her and my fiance was married for 7 years and with her ex a total of 13 so it's not like so can't commit or didn't try. Life happens you know? Any insights?

thanks

-Wolf

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is true that life happens. CIC are not normally in the business of moral judgement about divorce.

There have been cases of a partner being paid to get married; Also partners who come to Canada and once they have landed, they do not even visit to their partner - clearly fraud.
There are plenty of other circumstances where marriages can be seen as suspect, I guess that is why people ask.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
pseudowolf said:
I'm still curious why people on the forum are always saying whether it's a first marriage or not. Does being divorced really count?
It counts. Of course, how much weight a visa officer puts on a divorce depends on the country, the ethnic culture, and the background of both applicant and sponsor.
An arranged marriage in India between a twice-divorced Canadian woman of Indian extraction and a never-married Indian man: definitely an interview, and probably a refusal, since it will be hard for the visa officer to believe that any Indian parent would arrange such a match.
A relationship between a divorced American and a divorced Canadian, on the other hand, will seem perfectly normal to the visa officer. There would have to be other red flags for an interview.
One thing the visa officer is looking for to determine if a relationship is genuine is compatibility. If both partners have been divorced, then this will be seen as compatible. If one has been divorced several times, and the other has never even been in a relationship before, the visa officer will have some questions. Of course, such a relationship could well be genuine, and the VO may well decide to issue the PR visa, but certainly there would be an interview.