+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

some questions from a newbie

swampwizard

Nov 1, 2010
hello everyone.
im in America right now. my wife who lives in Canada will be sponsoring me to be a PR.
we are filling out our forms right now and gathering all our evidence that we can. i have a couple questions for you guys though.

on the "Appendix C" page that i take to the DMP, and on the first page of the "Application for PR" it asks for the Visa office that i want have process my stuff. i checked the CIC webpage and they say the Buffalo office is the one i need to use. what do i actually put down though? just "Buffalo"?

also, after i send all my forms and documents to my wife up in Canada and she combines it with her forms and all our stuff, where does she send the package?

how important is my education and work history if im being sponsored by my wife?

and also, how much evidence is enough to prove our relationship? we have emails, pictures, wedding cards, love letters, a few chat logs, and we can get letters from our families/friends. but we didn't really save phone bills, nor do we have any copies of plane tickets because we drove our cars on our visits to each other.

and on that note, i better give some general info so you know a little about my situation.
before we got married i drove up probably about five times to visit her, and she drove down twice to see me. the trouble is that the border people didn't give us proof of them. they only marked my passport once and that was just for my very first Canada visit when i met her. so im not sure how to provide proof of our visits.

we got married in august of 2008 during one of my visits to see her. we filled out forms to extend my stay so we could have time to send an inland sponsorship application. the extension was granted. but we (STUPIDLY! :mad:) took our sweet old time in gathering up our stuff and filling out the sponsorship forms... so two years, three more extensions, and lots of procrastinating later, they refused my fifth extension. so now im back in America, and my wife and i are in a huge rush to do and send the outland application to get me back up with her as soon as possible.

and thats my status. i REALLY wish we rushed when i got my first extension.. :'(
so if anyone could give me some info here that would help us a ton.

Poetic

Star Member
Sep 22, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
12-06-2010
Interview........
No Interview!!!
Passport Req..
25-10-2010
I can help with some of your Q's.

Yes you just put Buffalo.

Your education and work history wont make a difference really..it's just for background checks, but it wont affect your application.

The evidence you mentioned is fine..We sent about 25 pictures, couple chat logs, letters, poems, lease agreement, wedding certificate and a letter from his best buddy. It was enough in our case, so as long as the proof is strong, the amount wont matter. You also have the freedom to write letters explaining why you don't have proof of trips and such.

Rush or no rush, outland would def be your best option as it would be much quicker.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
swampwizard said:
hello everyone.
im in America right now. my wife who lives in Canada will be sponsoring me to be a PR.
we are filling out our forms right now and gathering all our evidence that we can. i have a couple questions for you guys though.

on the "Appendix C" page that i take to the DMP, and on the first page of the "Application for PR" it asks for the Visa office that i want have process my stuff. i checked the CIC webpage and they say the Buffalo office is the one i need to use. what do i actually put down though? just "Buffalo"?
Yes, just put "Buffalo"
swampwizard said:
also, after i send all my forms and documents to my wife up in Canada and she combines it with her forms and all our stuff, where does she send the package?
She sends the entire package to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, ON. CPC-M will transfer the application to Buffalo once they've finished assessing the sponsor's eligibility.
swampwizard said:
how important is my education and work history if im being sponsored by my wife?
Not relevant at all.
swampwizard said:
and also, how much evidence is enough to prove our relationship? we have emails, pictures, wedding cards, love letters, a few chat logs, and we can get letters from our families/friends. but we didn't really save phone bills, nor do we have any copies of plane tickets because we drove our cars on our visits to each other.
and on that note, i better give some general info so you know a little about my situation.
before we got married i drove up probably about five times to visit her, and she drove down twice to see me. the trouble is that the border people didn't give us proof of them. they only marked my passport once and that was just for my very first Canada visit when i met her. so im not sure how to provide proof of our visits.
It's important to substantiate how long you've been together through evidences - emails, chats, letters, phone calls, etc. Its' also important to show that you've spent time together - that's where evidence of trips to see one another is important. If you don't have copies of plane tickets and such, look for things like receipts or credit card statements that show purchases in each other's countries during visits and use those to substantiate the information you write as far as timing and frequency of your visits.

potcakes

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey, hindsight is a wonderful thing, We arrived September 08, we didn't apply till december 09 :mad: aargghhhh. Thanks to Canada post losing letters, computers crashing, and a we can do it tomorrow attitude it took a full year. Hang on in there, read all the advice, you will be fine. :)

swampwizard

Nov 1, 2010
thanks everyone for the info.

i just have one last question for now though.
my last extension to stay in Canada was declined and i moved back to the US.
so, do i need to inform them that i moved? or do they assume that i did?

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
swampwizard said:
thanks everyone for the info.

i just have one last question for now though.
my last extension to stay in Canada was declined and i moved back to the US.
so, do i need to inform them that i moved? or do they assume that i did?
Your address on the forms is going to be your place of residence in the United States so I would say that it is implied that you have returned.