+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some opinions on my situation

Dec 16, 2016
I just need some views on my situation. Not many people understand express entry, so need your opinions here. I have a crs point of 476 and my work permit is expiring on June 2017. I tried applying for provincial nominee through my employer and ontario provincial nominee was backlogged. Its been almost 1 and a half year and they kept saying its on wait list. ( Those guys told that to my employer and i naively believed and waited). I am still on their wait list.

My employer is willing to do LMIA but I have to find the lawyer and spend a few thousand and I will only get 50 points. Or I am thinking of doing masters, to buy time on study permit and also get qualifications. I have literally zero interest in going home and waiting for invitation. What do you think is a good option?

Like I said, my friends who are not on the same boat don't even understand the express entry system. So want your inputs. Thank you for reading.

Canada...canada

Aug 21, 2016
your employer should be the one to take care for the processing for LMIA and you dont even have to spend thousand of dollars because you can apply your work permit online and you only have to pay 150 cad for the work permit...it is up to you if you want to continue your masters but if you only want to buy sometime while waiting for the crs score to go down,, i would say just go for LMIA at least you still have to work...its still up to you...good luck..

chevalcriostoir

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
I kind of did a similar thing back in 2011. Maybe it will give you food for thought:

My work permit was ending, I couldn't change employer without an LMIA which was just impossible to get for me.
And even then my job was regulated and the regulator wanted more university credits to give me my licence so I could get work.
I decided to go back to Uni full-time for the year and get the credits to get the licence.

While on a study permit though, I was not allowed to work over 20 hours in a week and I was only allowed on-campus jobs for the first six months. It was hard to find a job at the uni that paid enough or even had enough weekly hours. After I finished though, I got a Post-Graduation Work Permit, which enabled me to work for any employer and gave me time to clock up enough work experience to apply through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). Maybe that's a good option? Note: IRCC have reformed the points system and you get more points for qualifying Canadian work Experience. Although if you've already counted these in your score, then I guess that might not do anything to boost your numbers, except the more years of work and study experience the more points you're entitled to.

Bear in mind, for the duration of your study, your income will be basically nothing so you'd have to have savings to live off and to pay tuition. (I luckily had a very supportive mother who loaned me my tuition to allow me to stay). Also i had to take out private health insurance as my province did not issue Medicare to study permit holders (but did to temporary workers strangely).

Another thing you might want to check out is IRCC have dropped their 4-year duration policy. Meaning after 4 years in the country you won't be barred from getting a new work permit. So you may be able to simply apply to extend it for another year while you figure out what's going on in that backlogged program.

Lastly, if you speak French, you could look into Mobilité francophone. There's a new rule that French-speaking immigrants can be brought in without needing an LMIA. You would have to take the French language exam (TEF) of course.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lannistersendtheirregards said:
Thank you. I did my bachelors in Canada and am in CEC pool now. Thats how I got 476. Doing masters require work, yeah I agree. This was informative.
476 is extremely competitive, you should expect an ITA in early 2017.