+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOME GOOD NEWS FOR ALL INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS - LATEST UPDATE FROM IRCC

ravinder_kaur

Feb 23, 2020
Student Direct Stream (SDS)
Note: Clients are advised to submit a study permit application under the SDS only if they can satisfy all eligibility requirements upon submission of their application. Those who are unable to provide the required documents for the SDS upon submitting their application may be advised to submit a study permit application under the regular process or to apply under the SDS once services resume and they are able to submit the required documents.

In this case all eligibility means Biometrics also?
But I have already applied under SDS for Fall 2020 intake. What should I do now?

ravinder_kaur

Feb 23, 2020
Note: Clients are advised to submit a study permit application under the SDS only if they can satisfy all eligibility requirements upon submission of their application. Those who are unable to provide the required documents for the SDS upon submitting their application may be advised to submit a study permit application under the regular process or to apply under the SDS once services resume and they are able to submit the required documents.

But I have already applied for study permit under SDS for Fall 2020 intake. What should I do now?

firestone45

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
GettiNG AIP and studying online is the best option for the students who are gonna pursue this fall..
I would do the same if I had the option unfortunately my course is blended and I don’t have option to defer to Jan as the course is only for fall intakes and I wouldn’t be able to travel by September to attend offline classes as required by the college as international flights aren’t open and also I haven’t done my biometrics.

Anyways, good luck winning this people ✨

fdd123

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
All this worry can be solved if IRCC just changes this 50% completion of course outside Canada. Just make it 80% at least. At the end of this month, July 31, when the travel ban expires (likely IRCC will extend), they need to come up with a proper plan how international students can be exempt to come at least before December 2020.

Karan Gandhi

Jul 17, 2020

I am also confused with the eligibility requirements. I have also applied through SDS and my biometrics is pending. Will my application be considered for approval-in-principle without biometrics ?

• Sad
Reactions: marmik1617 and 2tit

Mandalorian

Nov 21, 2019
winnipeg
NOC Code......
Guys any thoughts on the Time Zone differences. I have 12 hours time zone difference. Imagine if I have classes to attend from 1 am to 3 am and 3 am to 5 am, and the attendance is compulsory :oops:
My College(Centennial)held a web session regarding these doubts.
They have decided to conduct classes which would suit most people from different time zones.
Also there would be offline classes too. So if it's too late then we could just attend offline classes.
They are still in the process of figuring it out.

Mandalorian

Nov 21, 2019
winnipeg
NOC Code......
i think the good news today can only be 'someone has got the study permit'. we have seen too many policies in this year.
That someone happened to me a person from Srilanka(I hope you are referring the same person who posted yesterday).
In Srilanka there's no SDS and he had to submit under normal application. And he got the entire process done in less than a month.

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
All this worry can be solved if IRCC just changes this 50% completion of course outside Canada. Just make it 80% at least. At the end of this month, July 31, when the travel ban expires (likely IRCC will extend), they need to come up with a proper plan how international students can be exempt to come at least before December 2020.
They should definitely start accommodating may n sept intake at the end of year so atleast we are present there..

marmik1617

Jan 4, 2020
They gave lollipop for SDS students as per my knowledge full application consider biometric and other stuffs but VFS is closed and they are not giving any clarity to reopen VFS so it is just lollipop for us.

Reactions: Bond 007 and Gax

Mandalorian

Nov 21, 2019
winnipeg
NOC Code......
Three weeks ago Canada's active covid-19 cases were 35,000. Right now it's close to 5000. So be positive that Canadian Gover
And the worst thing is that if we begin our sept intake online n we come to know January semester 2021 becomes online then we wont be able to backoff from the course . We have to get assurance that atleast jan semester is in campus
Three weeks ago Canada's active covid-19 cases were 35,000. Right now it's close to 5000. So be positive that Canadian Government will allow students by Jan 2021.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019

I really hope, pray and wish that they extend the PGWP eligibility to at least 80%. I mean, what difference does it make if we sit and do the program online from home versus sit in a hostel room in canada and do it?

In my opinion, it's going to be the same anyway - given that it's online, how does it matter if we sit at home and study online, or sit in a hostel in Canada and study online. Anyway we can't freely move about, make friends, integrate into the environment there, etc. due to the pandemic.

Just because we are not able to travel now due to Covid, which is not our fault, they should not penalize us by saying PGWP is only for those who complete at least 50% in Canada.

What will happen to us, our dreams, our lakhs of money, our future, everything, if suppose the January term is also online, and just like September, what will happen if they say that online is non-essential for January also? And prevent us from coming in January also?

They have to make this clear. After all, we pay so much - $21 billion per year is the total income we international students as a whole bring to the country.

Even those who started their studies in September 2019 or January 2020 are studying fully online since March, sitting in hostel rooms. Their PGWP is not at all affected, and they don't have to worry about this 50% limit, just because they already entered the country before the pandemic.

We are not able to enter now only because of IRCC rules, even though we got the approval before March 18. Now, they say that we can only enter if we have in-class courses. Just tell me, who has in-class courses in this pandemic situation? Hardly anybody. Most people have it online only. But still they are penalizing us for having online courses. They say that we can't enter as online is non-essential. And we'll lose the PGWP just because they are not allowing us to enter.

The sad thing is - if you're already in Canada now, even if you completely violate requirements like full-time studies, and take a break for the semester due to Covid, even then PGWP will not be affected for those people ( just because they went there few months before we would have gone ).

It's only us who are not able to travel, and will therefore suffer just because we are not there yet. This is so unfair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bond 007