App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-11-2016
My partner has received his COPR email and we have a couple of questions.

1. On the COPR email it says:
"Until you obtain Canadian Citizenship, your permanent residence status may be revoked if you are not present in Canada for at least 730 days within 5 years..."

Does this mean that after 5 years of living in Canada, that this condition doesn't apply anymore even if you don't get citizenship? We plan on living in Canada for way longer than that, but I am a permanent resident of Australia and in the distant future who knows, we may end up in Australia for awhile.

2. It says you need to make a list of all the items you are bringing with you and items that are following (in the mail I assume)...We will make a list for what we are bringing on the plane with us, but do we also need to make a list of what I am sending by boat before we fly to Canada? Also, does he need to make a list of everything in his tool box that will be sent by boat? He is a mechanic and that is ALOT of tools to list..

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
1) No. You must live in Canada (or outside Canada with an accompanying Canadian citizen spouse) for at least 730 days in every five year period until you get citizenship. If at any point in time you can look back five years, and not have 730 days in Canada (or, be able to at the end of 5 years for the first 5), then you are in breach of the Residency Obligation.

2) Anything not listed on the goods to follow list, you will have to pay duties & taxes on when/if you bring them to Canada. You are allowed to move your life and possessions as they are on arrival day, but you must list it all at the time.

Reactions: pippalei

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
My partner has received his COPR email and we have a couple of questions.

1. On the COPR email it says:
"Until you obtain Canadian Citizenship, your permanent residence status may be revoked if you are not present in Canada for at least 730 days within 5 years..."

Does this mean that after 5 years of living in Canada, that this condition doesn't apply anymore even if you don't get citizenship? We plan on living in Canada for way longer than that, but I am a permanent resident of Australia and in the distant future who knows, we may end up in Australia for awhile.

2. It says you need to make a list of all the items you are bringing with you and items that are following (in the mail I assume)...We will make a list for what we are bringing on the plane with us, but do we also need to make a list of what I am sending by boat before we fly to Canada? Also, does he need to make a list of everything in his tool box that will be sent by boat? He is a mechanic and that is ALOT of tools to list..

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
In regards to question #2 and listing out all the tools specifically, I have read about people being generic on the form when they have a LOT of the same items (i.e. clothes - instead of saying you have "12 sweaters, 18 pairs of underwear, 29 socks, etc." people will say they have "5 boxes of clothes, various items"). Your mileage may vary, but see if you can summarize what's in his tool box in a more succinct manner while still accurately representing everything that is in there. You certainly can't just say "tool box" - you do have to list what's inside, but maybe you can summarize it a little bit.

pippalei

Star Member
Sep 14, 2016
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-11-2016
1) No. You must live in Canada (or outside Canada with an accompanying Canadian citizen spouse) for at least 730 days in every five year period until you get citizenship. If at any point in time you can look back five years, and not have 730 days in Canada (or, be able to at the end of 5 years for the first 5), then you are in breach of the Residency Obligation.

2) Anything not listed on the goods to follow list, you will have to pay duties & taxes on when/if you bring them to Canada. You are allowed to move your life and possessions as they are on arrival day, but you must list it all at the time.

Thank you SO much for this info. It's one of the things we've been stressing about the most as I don't want to jeopardize this whole process.
Just to clarify, as I am a Canadian citizen, does that mean he can live outside of Canada with me in Australia and not jeopardize his PR?

pippalei

Star Member
Sep 14, 2016
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-11-2016
In regards to question #2 and listing out all the tools specifically, I have read about people being generic on the form when they have a LOT of the same items (i.e. clothes - instead of saying you have "12 sweaters, 18 pairs of underwear, 29 socks, etc." people will say they have "5 boxes of clothes, various items"). Your mileage may vary, but see if you can summarize what's in his tool box in a more succinct manner while still accurately representing everything that is in there. You certainly can't just say "tool box" - you do have to list what's inside, but maybe you can summarize it a little bit.
Thank you for your reply. When I mentioned to him that he would have to list everything individually he was in shock as he has so much. I think we have decided to leave the cheaper, easier to replace tool here in Australia and only bring the most important pieces. He will hopefully have alot less to list this way.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Just to clarify, as I am a Canadian citizen, does that mean he can live outside of Canada with me in Australia and not jeopardize his PR?
Yes. Days spent with you in Australia count as days towards his Residency Obligation in Canada (although obviously they're slightly harder to prove than just 'I was in Canada', so you might want to adopt habits of doing things like getting physical bills in both your names, taking photos together with landmarks, texting when one of you's down the grocery store of an extra thing you need for dinner tonight, etc - just in case the days together are questioned).

The thing those days don't count towards is his Canadian citizenship eligibility. Those days have to be spent physically inside Canada. But his PR status is fine as long as you're living together anywhere in the world.

pippalei

Star Member
Sep 14, 2016
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-11-2016
Yes. Days spent with you in Australia count as days towards his Residency Obligation in Canada (although obviously they're slightly harder to prove than just 'I was in Canada', so you might want to adopt habits of doing things like getting physical bills in both your names, taking photos together with landmarks, texting when one of you's down the grocery store of an extra thing you need for dinner tonight, etc - just in case the days together are questioned).

The thing those days don't count towards is his Canadian citizenship eligibility. Those days have to be spent physically inside Canada. But his PR status is fine as long as you're living together anywhere in the world.
Thank you SO SO much for clarifying this for me. It really helps a lot!

pippalei

Star Member
Sep 14, 2016
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-11-2016

Would there be a form or process he would need to go through to come back to Canada? I'm assuming he wouldn't just show up at the airport.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Would there be a form or process he would need to go through to come back to Canada? I'm assuming he wouldn't just show up at the airport.
Glad to be help :) If he has a valid PR card, he just shows up at the airport. CBSA may question his compliance with the RO if he's been out of the country for over 3 years, if so, that's when he'd need to prove living with a citizen partner (you).

If he doesn't have a valid PR card, he either needs to do the above at the US/Canadian land border after flying to the US, or get a Permanent Resident Travel Document from the Canadian High Commission in Australia to fly to Canada (and again, would need to prove RO compliance at that point if doing that route).

pippalei

Star Member
Sep 14, 2016
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-11-2016
Glad to be help :) If he has a valid PR card, he just shows up at the airport. CBSA may question his compliance with the RO if he's been out of the country for over 3 years, if so, that's when he'd need to prove living with a citizen partner (you).

If he doesn't have a valid PR card, he either needs to do the above at the US/Canadian land border after flying to the US, or get a Permanent Resident Travel Document from the Canadian High Commission in Australia to fly to Canada (and again, would need to prove RO compliance at that point if doing that route).
That is awesome. You are a wealth of knowledge. I've found researching overwhelming as the wording can throw me. Thanks again :)