+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Software/Web Developer Wants to Immigrate To Ontario??

gmanreviews

Mar 6, 2014
I've visited Toronto, Ontario twice in the last two years and I've sort of fallen in love with the town and the people. I'm an experienced software/web developer from Jamaica (of Jamaican nationality) and would love to immigrate to Ontario in the future (sooner than later I feel would be best)... but I feel sort of lost in how to do this. I don't have any job offers as of yet but have been searching for jobs and so far am unsuccessful, I feel more than likely the fact that I'm currently not legally able to work in Canada is a big hurdle to get over. How do I make myself a more attractive target for companies to want to hire/file for me so that I can move to Canada?

pickednotes

Star Member
Oct 26, 2011
First, try to research the best option to come to Canada. Seems that you have a likely chance in the Federal Skilled Worker program. Apparently, Canada is looking for I.T. people (programmers and the like). But that's just the immigration talking, NOT the labor market.

Secondly, granting you get approved by the Canadian government, try to look for an employer while still in your home country. Maximize your stay there by looking for potential employers. If this fails and you are due to land in Canada, never, EVER resign from your job in your country. Try to get a long leave, even if its unpaid. Test the waters here first. You might be disappointed.

I am not discouraging you, just presenting facts and personal experiences.

Goodluck buddy! :)

gmanreviews

Mar 6, 2014
I know if the FSW Programme... the cap for IT (esp Programmers) was met a long time ago. It however finishes at the end of April and may be renewed, which means I'll be able to apply through there then.

Otherwise I agree with pretty much everything you're saying.

Thanks man.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
gmanreviews said:
I know if the FSW Programme... the cap for IT (esp Programmers) was met a long time ago. It however finishes at the end of April and may be renewed, which means I'll be able to apply through there then.

Otherwise I agree with pretty much everything you're saying.

Thanks man.
It's unlikely the cap will be reopened in May this year. CIC is introducing the EOI process in January 2015 and for this reason it's quite likely they will accept applications this year under the FSW occupations list stream. If by some chance they do accept applications this year, there's no knowing which occupations will be on the list. The list may be similar to last year or occupations may be added / removed.