+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Software Developer - Work Permit

hyankov

Jul 17, 2009
Hi,

I want to move to Canada and I have a couple of questions regarding Temporary Work permits.

Some facts about me:
1. I am a Software Developer and I can prove 5-6 years of experience
2. I have NO Bachelor's degree (only 1 exam left, but let's assume I don't have the degree)
3. 26 years old, married and have a child (American citizen)
4. I live in Bulgaria

Now, if I understand the process correctly:
1. I find an employer in Canada who sends me a job offer
2. I take the job offer and use it to apply for Temporary Work Permit.
3. No letter from HRSDC is required for Software Developers, so the processing should be as simple as approving the work permit
4. They give me green light, I take the paper and land in Canada
5. I am issued temporary visa and work permit at the border
6. Year later, I can apply for PR

Did I make wrong assumptions here?

Questions:
1. Would the lack of Bachelor's degree be a problem?
2. I couldn't figure out if I should submit to a local processing center, or it will be processed in Canada? EDIT: I figured it out - Bucharest.
3. In any case, seems like the processing time is less than a month. Am I looking at the right place (http : // www .cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/15-temp-workers.asp)?

Am I missing something? Do you think this is a better approach than applying for the federal Skilled Worker Program?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
hyankov said:
Hi,

I want to move to Canada and I have a couple of questions regarding Temporary Work permits.

Some facts about me:
1. I am a Software Developer and I can prove 5-6 years of experience
2. I have NO Bachelor's degree (only 1 exam left, but let's assume I don't have the degree)
3. 26 years old, married and have a child (American citizen)
4. I live in Bulgaria
[quote author=hyankov]
Now, if I understand the process correctly:[/quote]
1. I find an employer in Canada who sends me a job offer Yes
2. I take the job offer and use it to apply for Temporary Work Permit. Yes. Apply outside Canada.
3. No letter from HRSDC is required for Software Developers, so the processing should be as simple as approving the work permit Yes
4. They give me green light, I take the paper and land in Canada If the result in 2 is positive :)
5. I am issued temporary visa and work permit at the border Refer back to 2 :) Visa at a visa office, so outside Canada/Work permit, yes port of entry/border
6. Year later, I can apply for PR Hmmm. As long as you qualify (check eligibility criteria).

[quote author=hyankov]
Did I make wrong assumptions here?

Questions:
1. Would the lack of Bachelor's degree be a problem?
2. I couldn't figure out if I should submit to a local processing center, or it will be processed in Canada? EDIT: I figured it out - Bucharest.
3. In any case, seems like the processing time is less than a month. Am I looking at the right place (http : // www .cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/15-temp-workers.asp)?

Am I missing something? Do you think this is a better approach than applying for the federal Skilled Worker Program?
[/quote]