+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Softlanding Experience: windsor-Detroit tunnel , by rented CAR, returned back to US using AVR , 2 vaccinated parents and 6yr old unvaccinated

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
Docs Carried for Canada border
1. Passports, CoPR letter
2. RT pcr test printouts
3. Goods to follow list
4. Goods to carry list
5. Canada address
6. Arrive CAN receipt printout
7.PoF
8. VACCINATION CARDS
9. Created canada lab account (in case fall in random testing for parents and a must for unvaccinated 6 yr kid, NOT REMEMBERING EXACT NAME).

Canada border:
1st checkpoint booth:
Officer: Good evening
Me: we a have canada confirmation of PR , here for activating PR card
Officer: Travel document please
Provided passports with CoPR
Officer: are you moving today to Canada?
Me: we will be moving in December since we are in job search. We will return today itself in 2 hrs.
Officer: covid -ve result pls
Handed over the RT PCR test result.
Officer: pointed towards immigration center, asked to park vehicle there.
Me: I have the ArriveCAN barcode printout. Do you want that?
Officer: i got those details by scanning passport. I am good.

@Immigration Center:
Officer: Please turn off car and provide the travel docs. Provided passport with copr docs.
Officer: Are you moving to Canada today?
Me: Repeated same answer.
Officer: Do you have a Canada address?
Me: gave the address.
Officer: whose address is this?
Me: My friends address is this, we are moving here in December.
Officer: OK, i will note this address for your PR card. Do you have goods to follow and carrying list.
Handed over that. Officer went inside , we sat in the car for 20 mins.Officer returned.
Officer: i am very impressed with your list, made my job easier. One thing I noted, you mentioned only one car (honda) in GTF list. If you are not listed this(pointing my car), you would need to pay tax while import. Do you want this to the list?
Me: This is rented car, I have only one car (honda).
Officer: ohh I see. Ok here are the documents you need to sign. This document (confirmation of PR it seems), is very very important.You have to keep this untill you get citizenship.Here is the copy of GTF and Goods accompanying. You are good to go. Welcome to Canada.
Me: Thank you. So my PR card will be mailed to the address right? Can I come with this confirmation document next time until I get pr card.
Officer: you must take this next time you until you get pr card. You can enter using this since PR mails getting almost 1 yr nowadays.
Me: Do you need to perform any post entry covid test for this unvaccinated kid?
Officer: Did the officer in 1st booth gave any test kit?
Me: No
Officer: Then you are good to go, no need to do that. Welcome to Canada.

We drove almost 45km inside Canada and returned back thru same tunnel.

At US border:
Docs carried for US border.
1. Old and current passports
2. I797 old and current
3. Employment verification letter
4. Payslips
5. AVR RULE PRINTOUT
6. US DRIVERS LICENSE

1st booth officer: Hello, what is your travel purpose?
Me: I am working in US in h1 visa, my dependents hold h4 visa. We went to Canada to activate our PR. We would like to enter us using AVR rule (handed over passports and i797As).
Officer after checking something: drive the car to next check point, those officers will guide you.
Next checking area officer: Turn of car, leave all the items. Take only the document and go to the office.

At CBSA office:
Officer: what is your travel purpose?
Me: I am working in US in h1 visa, my dependents hold h4 visa. We went to Canada to activate our PR. We would like to enter us using AVR rule (handed over passports and i797As).
Officer after scanning our passports: can I get all your expired and cancelled passports?
Gave all the old passports.
After verifying something: who is your employer
Me: XYZ
Officer: please sit there, I need to do verify something.
After sometime he called us.
Officer: you are good. I need to take your pics and verify fingerprints.
Did photos and finger printing. Officer put immigration seal and put date as same that of i797 validity. Handed over everything.
Officer: you are good to go, welcome back

We went to the car. We could see our car checked thoroughly. Started the car and drove back to home.

In total everything went smooth

sk2701

Oct 22, 2020
Hi,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I have couple of questions could you please kindly guide:
1.) around what time/day did you do your soft landing?
2.) how did you provide a Canadian address? Printout with friend’s address including his name& residence details or showed on your phone?
3.) Any pointers on GTF|GTC?

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hi,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I have couple of questions could you please kindly guide:
1.) around what time/day did you do your soft landing?
2.) how did you provide a Canadian address? Printout with friend’s address including his name& residence details or showed on your phone?
3.) Any pointers on GTF|GTC?
1. Around 3 pm
2. I had that printout and shown the adress to him. He wrote it down
3. Pointers means?

sk2701

Oct 22, 2020
Thank you for the prompt response.
1.) By Pointers I meant how did you list details in GTF.. did you happen to include bills or model numbers etc., and appraised your jewellery in case of no bills or estimated a rough value for it by adding pictures?
2.) May I ask if GTF = bsf186a and GCF= bsf186?

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
1. Made categories, like furniture, jewelry, electronics etc etc. Make sure do max 5-6 categories as there is 5-6 rows in bsf list where officer need to write. Provide subtotal for each categories. Create a last sheet which shows each categories subtotal and final total of all the items (so that he can just transfer those values to before form).
Each electronics items I added the serial number wherever possible.
Eg:
Category: Electronics
Item/SI : mobile phone/Samsung galaxy/1234567
Value: CAD ×××××
2. Don't worry about those forms. Just take 2 copies of each GTF and GTC excel printout list. They will fill bsf forms.
3. For jewelleries, I did appraisal and kept bw printout photos of each (jewelleries items were my 1st items in gtf list).
Did appraisal in India (many of the jewelleries are there). Spend Rs.500. Even they did appraisal for the items those are with me when I send pics in whats app.

As per IRCC "Describe each item of jewellery you plan to bring into Canada on the list of goods you submit. Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by jeweller or gemologist. This makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later when you return from abroad with the jewellery."

One thing, don't underestimate the value of items if you don't know real price. Always overestimate.

Last edited:

Narenkk

Feb 13, 2021
Hi thanks for the detailed post. One question though. What did you have in GCF list? Just laptop and mobile which you carried with you during soft landing?

sri7

Jul 20, 2019
thanks @coolusa for detailed steps

I went through Detroit tunnel on Dec 3rd 2021 at 4:00pm for soft landing and they gave me yellow slip and when i parked the car at immigration center, the immigration officer along with two other officers are standing and as soon as i park, they asked me to shut off the engine and lower windows.

immigration officer: Can i see your passport, COPR doc and can you give me yellow slip
me: provided all. (I also have a printed copy of my friend's address for sending PR card), gave that as well
officer: do you have GTF and GTC
me: gave him both
officer: (he just glanced for 10 sec) So when are you moving permanently
me: currently in a job search and will be moving in couple of months (feb or march 2022)
officer: ok lets do the B4 when you permanently move, and gave me both passport and copr back
me: So when should i apply for PR card
officer: Will do while doing B4 when you come back in Feb or March
me: So how should i enter next time
officer: Just like how you do today, passport and COPR confirmation is all you need
me: So how about if i arrive via flight
officer: same, passport and COPR confirmation
me: ok
officer: You're all set, good to go. You're landing is completed, Welcome to Canada
me: thank you sir

I roamed for few hours came back to USA via same tunnel. So at this point, since officer did not requested PR card, what are my next steps ? Please advice

Reactions: bluehorse

rbukka

Star Member
Nov 10, 2017
Docs Carried for Canada border
1. Passports, CoPR letter
2. RT pcr test printouts
3. Goods to follow list
4. Goods to carry list
5. Canada address
6. Arrive CAN receipt printout
7.PoF
8. VACCINATION CARDS
9. Created canada lab account (in case fall in random testing for parents and a must for unvaccinated 6 yr kid, NOT REMEMBERING EXACT NAME).

Canada border:
1st checkpoint booth:
Officer: Good evening
Me: we a have canada confirmation of PR , here for activating PR card
Officer: Travel document please
Provided passports with CoPR
Officer: are you moving today to Canada?
Me: we will be moving in December since we are in job search. We will return today itself in 2 hrs.
Officer: covid -ve result pls
Handed over the RT PCR test result.
Officer: pointed towards immigration center, asked to park vehicle there.
Me: I have the ArriveCAN barcode printout. Do you want that?
Officer: i got those details by scanning passport. I am good.

@Immigration Center:
Officer: Please turn off car and provide the travel docs. Provided passport with copr docs.
Officer: Are you moving to Canada today?
Me: Repeated same answer.
Officer: Do you have a Canada address?
Me: gave the address.
Officer: whose address is this?
Me: My friends address is this, we are moving here in December.
Officer: OK, i will note this address for your PR card. Do you have goods to follow and carrying list.
Handed over that. Officer went inside , we sat in the car for 20 mins.Officer returned.
Officer: i am very impressed with your list, made my job easier. One thing I noted, you mentioned only one car (honda) in GTF list. If you are not listed this(pointing my car), you would need to pay tax while import. Do you want this to the list?
Me: This is rented car, I have only one car (honda).
Officer: ohh I see. Ok here are the documents you need to sign. This document (confirmation of PR it seems), is very very important.You have to keep this untill you get citizenship.Here is the copy of GTF and Goods accompanying. You are good to go. Welcome to Canada.
Me: Thank you. So my PR card will be mailed to the address right? Can I come with this confirmation document next time until I get pr card.
Officer: you must take this next time you until you get pr card. You can enter using this since PR mails getting almost 1 yr nowadays.
Me: Do you need to perform any post entry covid test for this unvaccinated kid?
Officer: Did the officer in 1st booth gave any test kit?
Me: No
Officer: Then you are good to go, no need to do that. Welcome to Canada.

We drove almost 45km inside Canada and returned back thru same tunnel.

At US border:
Docs carried for US border.
1. Old and current passports
2. I797 old and current
3. Employment verification letter
4. Payslips
5. AVR RULE PRINTOUT
6. US DRIVERS LICENSE

1st booth officer: Hello, what is your travel purpose?
Officer after checking something: drive the car to next check point, those officers will guide you.
Next checking area officer: Turn of car, leave all the items. Take only the document and go to the office.

At CBSA office:
Officer: what is your travel purpose?
Officer after scanning our passports: can I get all your expired and cancelled passports?
Gave all the old passports.
After verifying something: who is your employer
Me: XYZ
Officer: please sit there, I need to do verify something.
After sometime he called us.
Officer: you are good. I need to take your pics and verify fingerprints.
Did photos and finger printing. Officer put immigration seal and put date as same that of i797 validity. Handed over everything.
Officer: you are good to go, welcome back

We went to the car. We could see our car checked thoroughly. Started the car and drove back to home.

In total everything went smooth
A very detailed info. Thank you so much man. I am from India but working in USA on H1B. So will I be eligible for AVR to reenter USA after the soft landing? I did not go to India (not even a single time) once I came to USA. If I cross the border in my own car, in which list I need to mention it.. GTF or GTC?? GTC and GTF are the ones which we carry/follow at the time of permanently moving to canada or just at the time of landing??

rbukka

Star Member
Nov 10, 2017
thanks @coolusa for detailed steps

I went through Detroit tunnel on Dec 3rd 2021 at 4:00pm for soft landing and they gave me yellow slip and when i parked the car at immigration center, the immigration officer along with two other officers are standing and as soon as i park, they asked me to shut off the engine and lower windows.

immigration officer: Can i see your passport, COPR doc and can you give me yellow slip
me: provided all. (I also have a printed copy of my friend's address for sending PR card), gave that as well
officer: do you have GTF and GTC
me: gave him both
officer: (he just glanced for 10 sec) So when are you moving permanently
me: currently in a job search and will be moving in couple of months (feb or march 2022)
officer: ok lets do the B4 when you permanently move, and gave me both passport and copr back
me: So when should i apply for PR card
officer: Will do while doing B4 when you come back in Feb or March
me: So how should i enter next time
officer: Just like how you do today, passport and COPR confirmation is all you need
me: So how about if i arrive via flight
officer: same, passport and COPR confirmation
me: ok
officer: You're all set, good to go. You're landing is completed, Welcome to Canada
me: thank you sir

I roamed for few hours came back to USA via same tunnel. So at this point, since officer did not requested PR card, what are my next steps ? Please advice
Generally we do soft landing before (1-2 months) the copr expires. Once the soft landing is over, should we also move permanently before the copr expires??

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
A very detailed info. Thank you so much man. I am from India but working in USA on H1B. So will I be eligible for AVR to reenter USA after the soft landing? I did not go to India (not even a single time) once I came to USA. If I cross the border in my own car, in which list I need to mention it.. GTF or GTC?? GTC and GTF are the ones which we carry/follow at the time of permanently moving to canada or just at the time of landing??
Your car need to mention in GTF list.
They will stamp GRF and GTC when you do softlanding (sometime they wont do). When you are moving permanently with your goods, you need to submit GTF to customs. Any items you are bringing with you which are in GTF are taxcfree.

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
Generally we do soft landing before (1-2 months) the copr expires. Once the soft landing is over, should we also move permanently before the copr expires??
After softlanding its your choice when you want to move permanently. Your PR status will activated by softlanding. After softlanding date, you will have 5 yrs to maintain your status. You need to stay min 2 yrs out of that 5 yrs to be eligible for PR extension. In same 5 yrs you should stay min 3 yrs to be eligible for applying Citizenship.

rbukka

Star Member
Nov 10, 2017
After softlanding its your choice when you want to move permanently. Your PR status will activated by softlanding. After softlanding date, you will have 5 yrs to maintain your status. You need to stay min 2 yrs out of that 5 yrs to be eligible for PR extension. In same 5 yrs you should stay min 3 yrs to be eligible for applying Citizenship.
Super. Thank you so much for the clarification. I thought the same but just wanted to double check.

pursuit

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Do we need to show cash in the bank? I have around CAD $1m cash & stock and jewelry in India which I don't have an estimate for, as they are not in my possession. I don't want to pay taxes again on cash and jewelry, how do I fill GTF and GTC?