+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing risks?

Meighen2

Star Member
Feb 12, 2020
Hi all, after a long wait I have finally received my COPR. I'm thinking of making a so-called "soft landing" where I would land, provide my friend's address for PR card delivery and I would fly back to my home country in 1 or 2 weeks, My questions:

1) are there any risks associated with it? If at the border I will be asked whether I am relocating permanently, is it ok to say I plan to return back to my home country in 1-2 weeks?
2) worse case scenario, what if my friend loses my PR card while I am outside of Canada, does that mean I am screwed? Is there a way to order a new one while I am outside of Canada?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all, after a long wait I have finally received my COPR. I'm thinking of making a so-called "soft landing" where I would land, provide my friend's address for PR card delivery and I would fly back to my home country in 1 or 2 weeks, My questions:

1) are there any risks associated with it? If at the border I will be asked whether I am relocating permanently, is it ok to say I plan to return back to my home country in 1-2 weeks?
2) worse case scenario, what if my friend loses my PR card while I am outside of Canada, does that mean I am screwed? Is there a way to order a new one while I am outside of Canada?

Thanks.
No risks. You my not be able to send your PR card to a friend. If not, you’ll need to apply when you return. You can apply for a PRTD to return to Canada by air and you can come in by land with your COPR or expired PR card (not in your case).

Arjunjuju

Dec 21, 2021
Hi Meighen2,

I saw your post about proof of funds. My AOR is September 3,2021 and COR India. I showed my Proof or funds as downloaded bank statement and screenshots. I haven't added the bank letter due to covid restrictions. But now banks are open can I get the bank letter and upload the document as webform. Did you also do that. I am quite worried if they will reject my application. Please help

Meighen2

Star Member
Feb 12, 2020
No risks. You my not be able to send your PR card to a friend. If not, you’ll need to apply when you return. You can apply for a PRTD to return to Canada by air and you can come in by land with your COPR or expired PR card (not in your case).
Thanks!

Meighen2

Star Member
Feb 12, 2020
Hi Meighen2,

I saw your post about proof of funds. My AOR is September 3,2021 and COR India. I showed my Proof or funds as downloaded bank statement and screenshots. I haven't added the bank letter due to covid restrictions. But now banks are open can I get the bank letter and upload the document as webform. Did you also do that. I am quite worried if they will reject my application. Please help
I'm not sure my case was similar to yours because I did submit the bank letter. I don't see why would you not submit the bank letter now given that the banks are now open. I mean, it wouldn't hurt submitting the letter via the webform, would it? It would suck if you don't do it and get a refusal down the line because of this technicality. So better minimize this risk, IMO.

Lpranitha

Apr 29, 2022

Thanks.
Hey, did you do your soft landing? How was the experience?

Ahsansn

Mar 19, 2020
Hi - please assist with soft landing. What are the risks of having PR card delivered to friends and then someone brings it over in UAE where I am staying? Or get it delivered from canada?

I only plan to stay 1 week before copr expiry. I have heard PR cards need to be collected instead of being delivered. Is it true?

Personal experience will be great to know

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi - please assist with soft landing. What are the risks of having PR card delivered to friends and then someone brings it over in UAE where I am staying? Or get it delivered from canada?

I only plan to stay 1 week before copr expiry. I have heard PR cards need to be collected instead of being delivered. Is it true?

Personal experience will be great to know
The main risks from IRCC side are: sometimes the CBSA officers do not want to accept the address if they don't think the PR is remaining; sometimes the card takes longer or does not arrive or there is some other problem. Hard to quantify either of these.

Even if you do not get PR card, you can apply for a PRTD and if in the near term, you will be in compliance and these are generally processed fairly quickly.

The main risks from your side: you put off returning to Canada, or something happens, and you return late, when you are either not in compliance or cutting-it-close and it causes other complications.

As far as I'm aware, they only require PR cards to be collected for PR card renewals, and even then only a small number (usually where some other issue).

Ahsansn

Mar 19, 2020
Thanks for the quick and precise reply. My CoPR expires in Jan. I just want to softland in Jan and return permanently in June during which i am assuming ill get the PR card delivered to someone in Canada and then get it couriered here in UAE so I can enter back.