+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOFT LANDING- NEED GUIDANCE ON PR CARD

raziiqbal

Feb 16, 2017
Moreover, you can always leave any time, before issuance of PR card, as you can face any emergency in your home country, e.g. death of a close relative etc., so there is no compulsion. And, its not illegal. And, i havn't heard about any such issue over here in these forums, which i am going through for a couple of years. So, be relax, and you can do your soft landing, if you have some long-term plan spanning 1-2 years in your home country.
Hi Cool_eagle,
Have you landed in Canada? Did you face any difficulty?

cool_eagle

Jul 3, 2015
Hi Cool_eagle,
Have you landed in Canada? Did you face any difficulty?
i had initially did soft landing for one week or so...............i received PR card in my home country by a visiting friend. after that, i havn't gone back to canada as of yet......have plans in near future...............but i have plenty of time before my 2 years residency obligation period expires....

raziiqbal

Feb 16, 2017
i had initially did soft landing for one week or so...............i received PR card in my home country by a visiting friend. after that, i havn't gone back to canada as of yet......have plans in near future...............but i have plenty of time before my 2 years residency obligation period expires....
Great. Did the immigration officer at the airport ask how long you will stay in Canada?

Last edited:

cool_eagle

Jul 3, 2015
No; they have new kiosk system now on airports at toronto, which asks the same information, which previously yo have to fill on the plane...e.g. how many days you visiting or how much currency you are carrying.....On that software on kiosk, all other quesitons were same as on previously used form; but now there is new category ...among visit , etc, and immigration category, you have to click immigration category, and you don't need to declare no. of days officially. in the end, kiosk software prints the slip based on your entered information, which you have to show the immigration officer. immigration officer didn't asked me. however if they do ask, just tell them i am here for few months or longer than one year (as PR card takes 60 days to process), but you can always leave earlier after a week or so on the pretext of any family emergency or any other sudden excuse..(for the record setting............if they ever happen to ask about your short stay ...ever again in future...:)

Rocky2k17

Jun 14, 2017
Hi, I'm in a similar soft landing situation and also came across the settlement.org link below.

https://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/landing-and-leaving/leaving-canada/i-need-to-leave-canada-but-do-not-have-my-pr-card-yet-what-should-i-do/

01. When they say PR status does not guarantee a PRTD could they be referring to the residency obligation?

Calculating days present in Canada
If you have been a permanent resident for five (5) years or more
  • you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the five (5) years immediately before you apply for a PRTD.
If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
  • you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.
02. Can you think of any other reason for refusing a PRTD request , provided that a complete application is submitted?

03. I noted PRTD application asks for evidence to prove your PR status. After a soft landing one would only have the stamped COPR and a confirmation of landing. Will these two documents be enough ?
You spoke my mind.

Have you figured it out yet?

raziiqbal

Feb 16, 2017
No; they have new kiosk system now on airports at toronto, which asks the same information, which previously yo have to fill on the plane...e.g. how many days you visiting or how much currency you are carrying.....On that software on kiosk, all other quesitons were same as on previously used form; but now there is new category ...among visit , etc, and immigration category, you have to click immigration category, and you don't need to declare no. of days officially. in the end, kiosk software prints the slip based on your entered information, which you have to show the immigration officer. immigration officer didn't asked me. however if they do ask, just tell them i am here for few months or longer than one year (as PR card takes 60 days to process), but you can always leave earlier after a week or so on the pretext of any family emergency or any other sudden excuse..(for the record setting............if they ever happen to ask about your short stay ...ever again in future...:)
Thanks for the reply. That clears a lot of doubts.

Another quick question. How did you manage proof of funds after landing? Did you show them the bank statement?

cool_eagle

Jul 3, 2015
Thanks for the reply. That clears a lot of doubts.

Another quick question. How did you manage proof of funds after landing? Did you show them the bank statement?
i had bank statement, and my visa debit card internationally enabled. however, they didn't asked about proof of funds. however, when they asked, r u carrying more than 10000 dollars, i said yes (may be thats why they didn't asked for proof). but, later on customs counter, they tried to issue may a slip that i am carrying more than 10000 dollars, so that i can later on deposit those funds in any bank (banks do require that customs issued slips), but later on, realizing my mode of carrying is not cash, they simply just let me go through the customs to internatinal arrival lounge.

raziiqbal

Feb 16, 2017
i had bank statement, and my visa debit card internationally enabled. however, they didn't asked about proof of funds. however, when they asked, r u carrying more than 10000 dollars, i said yes (may be thats why they didn't asked for proof). but, later on customs counter, they tried to issue may a slip that i am carrying more than 10000 dollars, so that i can later on deposit those funds in any bank (banks do require that customs issued slips), but later on, realizing my mode of carrying is not cash, they simply just let me go through the customs to internatinal arrival lounge.
Thanks for your reply.
So you were not carrying the money in the form of cash. You had bank statements and your visa cards? Why I am asking this because many people were asked to show proof of funds even on this forum. So I was wondering what to do? I am planing to take around 10K in cash and rest I'll take bank statements of last three month to show them I have ready to use funds anytime.

cool_eagle

Jul 3, 2015
Thanks for your reply.
So you were not carrying the money in the form of cash. You had bank statements and your visa cards? Why I am asking this because many people were asked to show proof of funds even on this forum. So I was wondering what to do? I am planing to take around 10K in cash and rest I'll take bank statements of last three month to show them I have ready to use funds anytime.
beware to carry less than 10000 USD, because i think legally it is not allowed from pakistan to carry 10000 USD or more in cash. i think, even if they ask about proof of funds from you, if you show bank statements of last week or 15 days prior to flight, it is fine, and there wouldn't be any problem.

pratikpatel88

Feb 12, 2018
Can anybody from the forum share their experiences for second landing/re-entry into Canada? Ideally from someone who has done soft landing for a few weeks (left without PR card) and got their PR card delivered (by friend or relative) to home country. Is their any risk doing this because they would know obviously that the person was not present when the PR card was issued.
Your experience, thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.