+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing/Moving to Canada

Janani2109

Jul 15, 2020
Hello,

We are planning to land in Canada next month.. we want to do a soft landing and take a u turn the same day through peace bridge..

My H4 is valid till October 2021 but my new h4 extension ( new employer) is still pending with Uscis. My husband has a valid H1b. We both don’t have visa stamps. Planning to use AVR. Will this affect my h4 extension with uscis. Can I do a soft landing with a pending application?

haripriya1012

Aug 12, 2019
Hello,

We are planning to land in Canada next month.. we want to do a soft landing and take a u turn the same day through peace bridge..

My H4 is valid till October 2021 but my new h4 extension ( new employer) is still pending with Uscis. My husband has a valid H1b. We both don’t have visa stamps. Planning to use AVR. Will this affect my h4 extension with uscis. Can I do a soft landing with a pending application?

As far as I know, when you leave US with your petition in pending status, it will get voided and you might have to apply for a new petition again when you are back to US.
If you still have time for your COPR expiry, I would suggest you to wait till you get your H4 approved.

Reactions: Janani2109

Janani2109

Jul 15, 2020
As far as I know, when you leave US with your petition in pending status, it will get voided and you might have to apply for a new petition again when you are back to US.
If you still have time for your COPR expiry, I would suggest you to wait till you get your H4 approved.
Thank you.. I was afraid of that.. I will wait till it gets approved

Reactions: haripriya1012

Janani2109

Jul 15, 2020
We have sent our passports for the visa stamp just now. It is a visa reissue since we couldn’t go due to covid last year. Our old visa expired. We redid medical in April. Do they always give a visa validity of 1 year from medical like before?

haripriya1012

Aug 12, 2019
We have sent our passports for the visa stamp just now. It is a visa reissue since we couldn’t go due to covid last year. Our old visa expired. We redid medical in April. Do they always give a visa validity of 1 year from medical like before?
It totally depends. Some are given longer duration whereas some are given only a month or two. Since, it is a second visa issue and you are permitted to travel from US now (inspite of COVID), my guess would be shorter duration. But I could be wrong. Let's hope for the best.

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
hello all,

First of all this forum was so helpful for all the insights and info which helped for my soft-landing experience. Thank you all for your time in answering queries. i really appreciate it. Now wanted to share our timeline and process and i will try to share extensively so that someone can get benefited from it.,

date: 15-may-2021, copr getting expired 19-may-2021

statuses:

me - valid h1b stamp with old employer until september and i797 with new employer until next 12/22.

wife - h4 valid visa stamp until september as of old employer. we havent started the h4 extension yet and we also have our US born baby.

We three reached the US border before taking the bridge, for some reason the gate was open and we didn't need to pay for the toll. crossed bridge, and reached canada by 12:30 to realize only single gate open and there are so many cars waiting as this was lunch break or something.

some officers changed their shift after a while we went to the gate,

officer - bonjour?

me- hello officer, we are confirmed permanent residents and here to finish the landing procedure.

officer - okay, are you planning to move today?

me - no sir, we will be moving later this year, but our copr is getting expired in 4 days and wanted to complete the landing procedure. We also booked airbnb in case of mandatory quarantine, but it will be great if we are let to turn back.

officer - what? for how many days did you book airbnb?

me - 14 days.

officer - you dont have to quarantine if you are not coming to canada. if you are returning back you can go ahead and we are not forcing you to quarantine.

me - thank you sir

officer - what do you have in car?

me - luggage and baby food for the stay

officer - any weapons or such?

me - no, just a pair of dumbells

officer - oh, yeah that can be used as a weapon nowadays haha. you are fine. did you fill gtf?

me - i took the printout but not sure what to fill in it. but i can fill it now.

officer - the officers inside will let you fill it.

He gave me a yellow slip along with other documents and asked me to go to the customs office.

Inside the office:

took my papers, covid test reports and verified those. Asked me if I am filling out the GTF list, and he told me to bring the car details, like title, registration and odometer readings. I went back to parking lot and got the papers, and he verified those and told me to not worry about the GTF right now as he thought by the time we actually move things could change on the GTF list. so he gave me a gtf form which has all the options striked off in the bottom other than 'settler' section.

He entered the date and address on the form and told me to use it whenever I am permanently moving in.

He told me he can't take my cousin's canadian address, neither my usa address to send out the pr cards (but not sure why he took my driver's license in the end). He told me in order to move permanently i have to come by road. By that time, i was okay with anything to complete the landing process so didn't ask much from him.
The process got completed and we were shown the way to uturn. I can say the officers were so friendly both at the booth and also at the office.

US side:

I was so nervous about the US side, and the officer at the booth took our passports.

me - hello, we went to canada to complete the landing procedure like less than 3 hours ago.

officer - your i94 ends september, until then if you are travelling you have to carry both visa+i797 everywhere. if you would like, we can update the i94 for you. and your wife's i94 is good for september.

me - yes sir, we are planning to initiate the extension in june, we thought of going to india but due to covid didn't do it.

asked us to follow him to the office, parked outside. another officer came to me and asked me to come inside. took my fingerprints, and asked my profession and not sure why asked me to call my wife to the office.

My wife went inside and came saying they took their fingerprints too.

This part I didn't understand, he handed us the passports where a new slip is stapled saying my name and i94 date to be until next year. so basically my i94 got extended. But the same was done for my wife's passport too. Is this normal?

Now, after we came back and checked i94 dates, both of our 'admit until date' is displayed 12/2022.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience @sowsiv. I am in a similar boat except the following - I am on H1B and my wife is on H4. We both have valid I-797A until 2023, since we got extension recently. However, both of us do not have the visa stamp since we could not travel outside the U.S.

Could anyone please advise if we can go to the Canada border for the soft landing and come back immediately to the U.S with valid I797 but an expired visa stamp? I read about automatic visa revalidation (AVR) rule and that it allows immigrants to travel to Canada and come back within 45 days without requiring a valid stamp.

Has anyone tried this recently - to leave U.S for soft landing with an expired H1B stamp and come back safely? Please help! My CoPR is expiring on July 17th. Thanks a lot!

haripriya1012

Aug 12, 2019
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience @sowsiv. I am in a similar boat except the following - I am on H1B and my wife is on H4. We both have valid I-797A until 2023, since we got extension recently. However, both of us do not have the visa stamp since we could not travel outside the U.S.

Could anyone please advise if we can go to the Canada border for the soft landing and come back immediately to the U.S with valid I797 but an expired visa stamp? I read about automatic visa revalidation (AVR) rule and that it allows immigrants to travel to Canada and come back within 45 days without requiring a valid stamp.

Has anyone tried this recently - to leave U.S for soft landing with an expired H1B stamp and come back safely? Please help! My CoPR is expiring on July 17th. Thanks a lot!

I used it and travelled with my family. None of us had stamped visa. If you satisfy all the AVR conditions, you can definitely opt for it and come back to US.

MST555

Jun 16, 2021

With an i-797 and attached I94 valid till 2023 you should be fine to use AVR and come back to US with an expired visa in the same class. We are in a similar boat, visa expired but valid i-797 and I94 and CoPR expiring in July. Planning to do soft landing in the next few weeks before CoPR expires.

Please note I am not an attorney and this is not a legal advice.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
It just means a U-turn to USA. I have seen many experiences being shared here to activate COPR.

I am also waiting for July 1st to see if there is any relaxation to the quarantine rule for fully vaccinated individuals. However, the CBSA agent mentioned that everything is a speculation at this moment and nothing is clear.
Yet to get updated at cic website but no quarantine for vaccinated eligible travelers(if cbsa officer approves depending on the traveler's travel plan inside Canada). Seems still negative test report is needed to enter.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fully-vaccinated-canadians-travel-july-1.6073480

MST555

Jun 16, 2021
Yet to get updated at cic website but no quarantine for vaccinated eligible travelers(if cbsa officer approves depending on the traveler's travel plan inside Canada). Seems still negative test report is needed to enter.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fully-vaccinated-canadians-travel-july-1.6073480
In the same link its says, folks with CoPR after June 21 will now be eligible to land. Does this means there is no requirement for permanent settlement and we can do softlanding 'legally'?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
In the same link its says, folks with CoPR after June 21 will now be eligible to land. Does this means there is no requirement for permanent settlement and we can do softlanding 'legally'?
Lets wait till cic website gets updated.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Relaxed on quarantine but not sure for your case. Please check https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/06/government-of-canadas-first-phase-to-easing-border-measures-for-travellers-entering-canada3.html

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Are they not allowing softlanding? i thought they are even though the site says you need to move permanently.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/soft-landing-moving-to-canada.730891/page-2#post-9407356

Call the border as there is no change in basic eligibility requirements. If its not officially announced till today on just soft landing then its not. You need to wait.

Last edited:

MST555

Jun 16, 2021
Are they not allowing softlanding? i thought they are even though the site says you need to move permanently.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/soft-landing-moving-to-canada.730891/page-2#post-9407356

Call the border as there is no change in basic eligibility requirements. If its not officially announced till today on just soft landing then its not. You need to wait.
Officially only CoPR approved prior to Mar 2020 were allowed to land before today. Even though many seem to have soft landed with CoPR after Mar 2020 based on the experience they have shared here. From today onwards all CoPR are being allowed to land. They have updated this on Cic Website. Now it says
"We’re changing Canada’s travel restrictions. If you hold a valid (not expired) Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and visa, you can travel to Canada as of June 21, 2021."

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

The intent of permanent residence is still required it seems. That hasn't changed. But after July 5th one doesn't need to show 14 day quarantine plan.

Reactions: harirajmohan

KDSH

Dec 3, 2019
Hello, Quick question for those who are doing soft landing.
Once the soft landing is done and you don't have PR card issued, then how much time do you have to move back to Canada permanently?

Thanks!

Reactions: mockingjay