+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing/Moving to Canada

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Did my soft landing back in November 2020 without any issues but he denied an address update since I was only doing a soft landing.
Got a letter in mail saying I need to send photos for PR card and update address so I sent new photos with cousins address and my PR card was issued.
While travelling to Canada from US (mostly planning by land: Detroit-Windsor tunnel) .. should I show the CBP officer my COPR stapled to the passport or my PR card?? Has anyone landed in Canada and faced any problems by directly showing PR card?
My worry is the CBP officer knowing that I got my PR card without landing permanently.

Thank you for the help
They are not bothered. Also they are happy if you show your PR card. Also ,once you are done with your landing(soft/permanent) and got your PR card issued. Done and dusted. You really not needed worry about this. This is not an issue first in case. Many people got their PR cards after soft landing.

Reactions: hjoshi4

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
For those whose PR card wasn’t Applied at the time of soft landing and officer mentioned u can apply it only when you are moving permanently:
Simply submit a web form and in the web form tell them to update your address for your cards. Remember don’t specify that you are applying for the first time make it a request for update of your address.
In the response to that they would simply apply your card.
No questions asked whatsoever. I got my PR card using that method within 3 to 4 weeks of filling the web form.
Hi raghu, thanks for the information. do you mean to select 'change of contact information' in the webform dropdown?

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
Permanent Resident Card - Initial card
Thank you Raghu. The address that you gave did you give it on your name, i assume you gave your friends/relative's address. In the address did you mention their name and kind of gave 'care/of' or 'c/o'?

viveksharmaz

Sep 14, 2018
yes the officer told i can use it and technically i think once u become pr they cant deny you entry and the stamp that the officer gave on the passport was actually the same document number which shows on my profile as 'Travel Document Number' he himself told i can use it when coming back along with copr document
Thanks for the detail information.. One question though did u get any request for new photos or did u try calling immigration team to update your PR card address.

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
Thank you Raghu. The address that you gave did you give it on your name, i assume you gave your friends/relative's address. In the address did you mention their name and kind of gave 'care/of' or 'c/o'?
You don’t need a name.
Cards are automatically dispatched at each and every family member’s name individually .

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
You don’t need a name.
Cards are automatically dispatched at each and every family member’s name individually .
Thank you Raghu, I selected the dropdown options and finally left with two doubts.

1. Please correct the format, is there anything else i need to add.

"I would like to request you to please update my address and provide me the Permanent Residence Card.

****** *** ***** *****(address)

Thank you"

2. About phone numbers, what numbers did you provide? USA or Canada? By canada i mean did you take like textnow number based on canada or something?

Please let me know. Thank you

Aparna Vijay

Feb 22, 2020
United States of America
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-07-2020
Passport Req..
18-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2020
LANDED..........
10-07-2021
Hello, Has anyone did soft landing and returned to US via WALK? I only have a driving permit and will not be able to rent a car. Which one would be the best? Cross Border Taxi or Pedestrian Crossing? Please advise.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, Has anyone did soft landing and returned to US via WALK? I only have a driving permit and will not be able to rent a car. Which one would be the best? Cross Border Taxi or Pedestrian Crossing? Please advise.
Read your previous post a month ago!

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I think people does it very rare. But which ever you take, its the same, do not worry. go for it. If taxi is available at that place/time take a taxi or else if you can reach to last exit in US and walk from there that should be fine as well. If you are taking rainbow bridge its pretty seamless as there will be little traffic all through the day and nothing to panic.

Reactions: Aparna Vijay

Aparna Vijay

Feb 22, 2020
United States of America
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-07-2020
Passport Req..
18-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2020
LANDED..........
10-07-2021
I think people does it very rare. But which ever you take, its the same, do not worry. go for it. If taxi is available at that place/time take a taxi or else if you can reach to last exit in US and walk from there that should be fine as well. If you are taking rainbow bridge its pretty seamless as there will be little traffic all through the day and nothing to panic.
I called CBSA agent today and the agent informed me that I could use either Rainbow/Peace bridge to cross land as a pedestrian. He also informed that the border taxi would be able to drop me in Canada but may not be able to take me back to US because of quarantine requirements. He also mentioned I could break quarantine if I choose to return immediately. I am kind of confused but I think I might opt for pedestrian pathway at Rainbow bridge.

MST555

Jun 16, 2021
Hi All,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. This is very helpful. I have a unique situation.

Me and my family have received our CoPR which is expiring in first week of July, so want to complete softlanding as soon as possible. I received my ITA after being nominated through OINP. My landing province and destination as expected is Ontario/Toronto. We live in Seattle and would like to avoid flying to east coast if possible due to COVID so looking at the possibility of doing softlanding in Vancouver, BC.

1. Has anyone who has been nominated by OINP successfully completed softlanding inBritish Columbia or another state other than ON? Will really appreciate a response on this.

2. Me and my spouse have received both doses of vaccine. Should we still carry covid negative test results? Also we have a 4 year old kid. Do we need to do Covid test for her too?

Thanks in advance.

Aparna Vijay

Feb 22, 2020
United States of America
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-07-2020
Passport Req..
18-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2020
LANDED..........
10-07-2021
Hi All,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. This is very helpful. I have a unique situation.

Me and my family have received our CoPR which is expiring in first week of July, so want to complete softlanding as soon as possible. I received my ITA after being nominated through OINP. My landing province and destination as expected is Ontario/Toronto. We live in Seattle and would like to avoid flying to east coast if possible due to COVID so looking at the possibility of doing softlanding in Vancouver, BC.

1. Has anyone who has been nominated by OINP successfully completed softlanding inBritish Columbia or another state other than ON? Will really appreciate a response on this.

2. Me and my spouse have received both doses of vaccine. Should we still carry covid negative test results? Also we have a 4 year old kid. Do we need to do Covid test for her too?

Thanks in advance.
For your 2nd question, you still need to get negative test report even if you are fully vaccinated. I called CBSA agent to confirm this.

Reactions: MST555

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I called CBSA agent today and the agent informed me that I could use either Rainbow/Peace bridge to cross land as a pedestrian. He also informed that the border taxi would be able to drop me in Canada but may not be able to take me back to US because of quarantine requirements. He also mentioned I could break quarantine if I choose to return immediately. I am kind of confused but I think I might opt for pedestrian pathway at Rainbow bridge.
Whats the immediate return means - how do we do it? After just completing the cbsa inspection?

Also i saw post on cbsa response that returning back (leaving Canada) by private vehicle also allowed to break quarantine.

I am seeing a note in the site that they are going to give some exemptions for vaccinated people from July. Will have to see what that would be.
"Exemptions for fully vaccinated travellers who are eligible to enter Canada are expected in early July. Current travel restrictions still apply. "

Last edited:

Aparna Vijay

Feb 22, 2020
United States of America
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-07-2020
Passport Req..
18-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2020
LANDED..........
10-07-2021
Whats the immediate return means - how do we do it? After just completing the cbsa inspection?

Also i saw post on cbsa response that returning back (leaving Canada) by private vehicle also allowed to break quarantine.

I am seeing a note in the site that they are going to give some exemptions for vaccinated people from July. Will have to see what that would be.
"Exemptions for fully vaccinated travellers who are eligible to enter Canada are expected in early July. Current travel restrictions still apply. "
It just means a U-turn to USA. I have seen many experiences being shared here to activate COPR.

I am also waiting for July 1st to see if there is any relaxation to the quarantine rule for fully vaccinated individuals. However, the CBSA agent mentioned that everything is a speculation at this moment and nothing is clear.

Reactions: harirajmohan