+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing/Moving to Canada

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
I have valid COPR and PR Visa which is expiring soon, can I travel to Canada and come back soon ( 3 to 4 days), essentially doing soft landing ?
There are posts in this thread discussing this part. Please have a look. You can find more details here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

Essentially, the official website says what is mentioned here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/soft-landing-moving-to-canada.730891/post-9520405, and as far as I understand, it is up to the discretion of the officer to allow or disallow if you say you want to go back. There are people who have succeeded and there are people who were denied, so it's a bit uncl

inda

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019
Hi, i just came to know that the PR visa is a single entry visa, what if i want to travel again to move permanently before I get my PR card ?

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
Once you land in Canada, and become PR, and then travel to US to work for your US employer (and you are not working remote) - I don't think this situation is any different from the example above.
Thanks! To clarify, did you mean once we land in Canada and get CoPR validated, we qualify as "permanent residents" and CoPR letter will act as the proof? Won't we need the actual "PR card" to qualify being called as a PR and travel back to US employer temporarily?

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
Hi folks - Does anyone know of any link/post that has a complete list of all the documents we must take and all the things/steps we must do before going for CoPR validation (soft landing), such as entering info in ArriveCAN, etc.? Please share. Thanks a lot!

inda

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019
There are posts in this thread discussing this part. Please have a look. You can find more details here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

Essentially, the official website says what is mentioned here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/soft-landing-moving-to-canada.730891/post-9520405, and as far as I understand, it is up to the discretion of the officer to allow or disallow if you say you want to go back. There are people who have succeeded and there are people who were denied, so it's a bit uncl
Can you post the links where people have been denied of entering Canada with a valid COPR, and visa ?

CanVisaUser77

Jun 30, 2021

Can you link me to post where officers denied going back or denied landing ?

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
Can you link me to post where officers denied going back or denied landing ?
I can't find the other posts, but this is one of them where folks did soft landing but the PR card was not issued because they were not moving permanently. From the post it seems that if people provided any friend/relative's address for sending the PR card, officers considered as not a permanent move.

inda

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019
Hi All,

I did soft landing at peace bridge POE. I filled the arrivecan, it gave me as I am "Immunized".
Officer 1: I told that I am there to complete landing procedure, they asked for COVID negative test report (molecular test only), passport, COPR and asked me to park the car and go into the building. Asked me how long am I staying now - said 2 days.
Officer 2: Asked for my COPR, Passport, GTF form. Asked me why are you staying now only for 2 days, told them here to open the bank account, I need more time to move, will permanently move in next few months.
They applied for PR card to my friends Canadian address and singed the GTF form and gave back to me. Stapled the COPR to my passport and I can use to travel by land border by time before receiving my PR card.
I have medical further test, was told to contact medical professional within next 30 days.
Whole process took 30 min.
Arrival testing: As I am entering Canada and fully vaccinated, I need not quarantine but need to do arrival testing, this process took 15min.

As i finished all needed stuff within a day returned back to US the same day.
At US POE: Asked for my passport and i797 document. I already have a valid visa. The whole process took 2min. No one asked for COVID test in US.

Aparna Vijay

Feb 22, 2020
United States of America
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-07-2020
Passport Req..
18-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2020
LANDED..........
10-07-2021
Hi All,

I did soft landing at peace bridge POE. I filled the arrivecan, it gave me as I am "Immunized".
Officer 1: I told that I am there to complete landing procedure, they asked for COVID negative test report (molecular test only), passport, COPR and asked me to park the car and go into the building. Asked me how long am I staying now - said 2 days.
Officer 2: Asked for my COPR, Passport, GTF form. Asked me why are you staying now only for 2 days, told them here to open the bank account, I need more time to move, will permanently move in next few months.
They applied for PR card to my friends Canadian address and singed the GTF form and gave back to me. Stapled the COPR to my passport and I can use to travel by land border by time before receiving my PR card.
I have medical further test, was told to contact medical professional within next 30 days.
Whole process took 30 min.
Arrival testing: As I am entering Canada and fully vaccinated, I need not quarantine but need to do arrival testing, this process took 15min.

As i finished all needed stuff within a day returned back to US the same day.
At US POE: Asked for my passport and i797 document. I already have a valid visa. The whole process took 2min. No one asked for COVID test in US.
One quick question, Are you able to see your PR application online? I did soft landing on 10th July. The officer took my friend’s Canadian address for PR card but I cannot access my application online.

inda

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019
One quick question, Are you able to see your PR application online? I did soft landing on 10th July. The officer took my friend’s Canadian address for PR card but I cannot access my application online.
You mean PR card application ? I tried linking with my UCI, last name - it gave me an application number for my PR card application.

Aparna Vijay

Feb 22, 2020
United States of America
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-07-2020
Passport Req..
18-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2020
LANDED..........
10-07-2021
You mean PR card application ? I tried linking with my UCI, last name - it gave me an application number for my PR card application.
I am not able to see my PR card application online, looks like the officer didn’t process it at all even after providing the Canadian address. I will have to reach IRCC customer care.

When did you land?

inda

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019
I am not able to see my PR card application online, looks like the officer didn’t process it at all even after providing the Canadian address. I will have to reach IRCC customer care.

When did you land?
I landed July 12th at 8:30AM, tried linking my application the same day evening, it worked.

Aparna Vijay

Feb 22, 2020
United States of America
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-07-2020
Passport Req..
18-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2020
LANDED..........
10-07-2021
I landed July 12th at 8:30AM, tried linking my application the same day evening, it worked.
I am not able to view my application, seems there is an issue somewhere. Anyway, thanks!

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
Officially only CoPR approved prior to Mar 2020 were allowed to land before today. Even though many seem to have soft landed with CoPR after Mar 2020 based on the experience they have shared here. From today onwards all CoPR are being allowed to land. They have updated this on Cic Website. Now it says
"We’re changing Canada’s travel restrictions. If you hold a valid (not expired) Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and visa, you can travel to Canada as of June 21, 2021."

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

The intent of permanent residence is still required it seems. That hasn't changed. But after July 5th one doesn't need to show 14 day quarantine plan.
Hi, did you get a clarification for this? How does one prove intent here? And does this cause any problems with soft landing?