+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing in Canada

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thanks. So if I have no permanent address what should I do? No new residents will have a permanent address... it is known that we all use relatives/friends addresses no?
Like I said, it depends on the CBSA officer. Some of them don't like the idea of "soft landings," some of them object to using a different address than where you will be. It is up entirely to your CBSA officer.

Maximilian89

May 31, 2020
Like I said, it depends on the CBSA officer. Some of them don't like the idea of "soft landings," some of them object to using a different address than where you will be. It is up entirely to your CBSA officer.
I see... it is a question of whether or not it is allowed rather than if the officer likes it or not. As long as it is allowed, I dont see they have a say in that

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Why does anyone mention soft landing?

Just say you're landing as a permanent resident.

People need to learn to not share information which is not asked of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: k.h.p.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
There's no such thing as a soft landing. You are only supposed to have your PR card sent to you at the address at which you will be residing. If you say that you're here for a soft landing, if you ask the CBSA officer if you can have the card sent "to a friend's house," or if the CBSA officer asks you "is this where you will be staying in Canada" and you say something like "I'm only here to soft land" and the CBSA officer doesn't like that, they will not accept that address, will not submit the application for a PR card, and you'll need a PRTD after landing.

There have been some CBSA officers who have denied landing on "soft landing" people. It's very rare, but it has happened.

Reactions: Maximilian89

Maximilian89

May 31, 2020
Why does anyone mention soft landing?

Just saying you're landing as a permanent resident.

People need to learn to not share information which is not asked of them.
What if they ask when you are travelling back? You need to be ready for all. obviously, you wont mention it if they dont ask

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
What if they ask when you are travelling back? You need to be ready for all. obviously, you wont mention it if they dont ask
A CBSA agent will not ask you when you're travelling back, you have freedom of movement and have no obligation to report your future travelling plans.

They could ask you, are you coming to settle permanently? This is when you would have to mention soft landing. But this is rare, unless the agent has a reason to believe you have unresolved commitments in another country. And even then, it's very unlikely that a border agent would deny you entry.

But the chances of one asking you about this is very rare, what you shouldn't do is volunteer information about soft landing, because this might make them question your intention to settle permanently.

Always just say, i'm landing as a permanent resident. Only talk about soft landing if asked directly about it.

Maximilian89

May 31, 2020
A CBSA agent will not ask you when you're travelling back, you have freedom of movement and have no obligation to report your future travelling plans.

They could ask you, are you coming to settle permanently? This is when you would have to mention soft landing. But this is rare, unless the agent has a reason to believe you have unresolved commitments in another country. And even then, it's very unlikely that a border agent would deny you entry.

But the chances of one asking you about this is very rare, what you shouldn't do is volunteer information about soft landing, because this might make them question your intention to settle permanently.

Always just say, i'm landing as a permanent resident. Only talk about soft landing if asked directly about it.
Thanks guys. I also intend to settle permanently just not as part of this trip. Cheers!