+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing in Canada

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Hi All,

I recently received the PR for Canada and it expires in June 2020.Me and my husband are based out of USA and we have decided to do a soft landing and then move permanently once we find a job. I do have the following questions:

1) We are planning to land either in March or April and plan to spend a few days there
( Thursday- Monday). Will this be sufficient to apply for PR card, SIN and health card.

2) there were discussions and people telling to apply health card when moving permanently. Is it ok to apply now or later ? How long does it take for health card to arrive ? What is the difference and will it have any impact ?

3) We have friends in Canada whose address we will give for mailing the PR card and they inturn send that to our USA address. Will this work ? What is the time duration for receiving the PR card?

4) We are planning to setup bank accounts and change phone numbers during our Permanent settlement. Does health card or SIN need bank account or contact details in Canada?

5)Since there are some complications with my husband’s time off at office we are planning for a short stay in Canada. Ideally, how long should one need to stay in Canada for soft landing process to get the PR card, SIN and health card!?

The reason I am asking is I am the principal applicant and my husband is the dependent and I wanted to know if he can return back to USA after the short stay and I can stay for another week in Canada to get the above said documents in hand and return to USA. So if it’s like a week extra then I could stay and then return on a later date too.

6) We are not planning on taking any goods (except some clothes) during our soft landing and we do have goods to follow when we do a permanent landing (furniture, utensils, TV, laptops,very small amount of jewellery, clothes). In many discussions it was mentioned that we have pictures of the good to follow. Is it needed for all the items or just the jewellery?

7) We have a pet dog ( four months old) and I did read about the medical documents needed to import a pet for personal basis. All her vaccinations are up to date. should she be added in Items to follow ? Any experiences on importing a pet to Canada will be helpful in regards with the documents and process as such.

8) We do not have a car now and we will be having one by the time we permanently move,let’s say end of the yr, so is there a possibility to add/modify the goods to follow list that we submit when we soft land and add the vehicle details !? If that’s not possible what is the alternative?

9) One off the topic but out of curiosity question !!! ...Financial wise, Is it wise to purchase a car after settling in Canada or is it cost efficient to Import from USA?

10) We are planning to take the following documents when we soft land. Is anything else needed?
1) Passports Original
2) COPR letter Original
3) Good to follow list with pics (if needed)
4) Goods accompanying list
5) Extra passport size photos
6) Bank statements for POF
7) ITA letter

Sorry for a very long post... Many of these questions had answers in the forums but I would also like to get a comprehensive understanding of the same.

Thanks in advance :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

I recently received the PR for Canada and it expires in June 2020.Me and my husband are based out of USA and we have decided to do a soft landing and then move permanently once we find a job. I do have the following questions:

1) We are planning to land either in March or April and plan to spend a few days there
( Thursday- Monday). Will this be sufficient to apply for PR card, SIN and health card.

2) there were discussions and people telling to apply health card when moving permanently. Is it ok to apply now or later ? How long does it take for health card to arrive ? What is the difference and will it have any impact ?

3) We have friends in Canada whose address we will give for mailing the PR card and they inturn send that to our USA address. Will this work ? What is the time duration for receiving the PR card?

4) We are planning to setup bank accounts and change phone numbers during our Permanent settlement. Does health card or SIN need bank account or contact details in Canada?

5)Since there are some complications with my husband’s time off at office we are planning for a short stay in Canada. Ideally, how long should one need to stay in Canada for soft landing process to get the PR card, SIN and health card!?

The reason I am asking is I am the principal applicant and my husband is the dependent and I wanted to know if he can return back to USA after the short stay and I can stay for another week in Canada to get the above said documents in hand and return to USA. So if it’s like a week extra then I could stay and then return on a later date too.

6) We are not planning on taking any goods (except some clothes) during our soft landing and we do have goods to follow when we do a permanent landing (furniture, utensils, TV, laptops,very small amount of jewellery, clothes). In many discussions it was mentioned that we have pictures of the good to follow. Is it needed for all the items or just the jewellery?

7) We have a pet dog ( four months old) and I did read about the medical documents needed to import a pet for personal basis. All her vaccinations are up to date. should she be added in Items to follow ? Any experiences on importing a pet to Canada will be helpful in regards with the documents and process as such.

8) We do not have a car now and we will be having one by the time we permanently move,let’s say end of the yr, so is there a possibility to add/modify the goods to follow list that we submit when we soft land and add the vehicle details !? If that’s not possible what is the alternative?

9) One off the topic but out of curiosity question !!! ...Financial wise, Is it wise to purchase a car after settling in Canada or is it cost efficient to Import from USA?

10) We are planning to take the following documents when we soft land. Is anything else needed?
1) Passports Original
2) COPR letter Original
7) ITA letter

Sorry for a very long post... Many of these questions had answers in the forums but I would also like to get a comprehensive understanding of the same.

Thanks in advance :)
1. PR card is applied for by the CBSA officer at landing. You can apply for your SIN. You can't apply for a health card.

2. Health coverage is for residents. You need to wait until you actually move to Canada to apply.

3. Yes. Posted processing times are on the IRCC website.

4. No.

5. Since all you will really be doing is applying for a SIN, which takes all of 15 minutes, yes, its enough time.

6. You declare when you actually move.

7. You import the dog when you actually move.

8. As above.

9. No idea.

10. You don't need your goods lists or the ITA letter.

psh

Feb 18, 2020
Hi- I am planning to do my soft landing in March/ April 2020. Wanted to check if I can fly from India (where i reside) to New York and then get the landing formalities done on Peace Bridge. I don't plan to stay in Canada (except maybe for a night if required) and then return to New York and fly back. Does that work?
Would be great if anyone who has done it can share their experience.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi- I am plan to do my soft landing in March/ April 2020. Wanted to check if I can fly from India (where i reside) to New York and then get the landing formalities done on Peace Bridge. I don't plan to stay in Canada (except maybe for a night if required) and then return to New York and fly back. Does that work?
Would be great if anyone who has done it can share their experience.
As long as you have no issues entering the US, yes, you can land that way.

psh

Feb 18, 2020
ok thanks. any idea if I can return the same day or should ideally stay there for a night?

spirit.varun

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
VS: Yes, apply for health card when you plan on move permanently (ON after 3 months once you land permanently)

VS: its doable

VS : you can complete and turn-around after activation (see above for health card) (you do need to goto service canada if driving into canada, otherwise it can be done in airport (not sure about working hours, do check)

VS : For Jewelry, Watches: I took group snapshots and labeled it with desc. in GTF list

VS : I would like to know more on this too ( I did put in the details just to be safe)

VS : in same boat, will give my take : I am not sure about recalls being honored (have to do further research) after export/import into different country, also keep in mind about modifications to your car to meet CA specs if they don't. Price wise they all appear same albeit hybrids from quick glance (used cars, do note to counter conversion in when comparing)

1) Passports Original
2) COPR letter Original
7) ITA letter
VS : Passport, COPR, GTA, POF and GTF should be good

Reactions: SaraRahul

pramodsoori

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019

Any major purchase outside Canada after initial landing , we need to pay the import taxes .. So if you buy a car in US after landing , need to be prepared for the taxes while actually importing it to Canada

Reactions: SaraRahul

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
VS: Yes, apply for health card when you plan on move permanently (ON after 3 months once you land permanently)

VS: its doable

VS : you can complete and turn-around after activation (see above for health card) (you do need to goto service canada if driving into canada, otherwise it can be done in airport (not sure about working hours, do check)

VS : For Jewelry, Watches: I took group snapshots and labeled it with desc. in GTF list

VS : I would like to know more on this too ( I did put in the details just to be safe)

VS : in same boat, will give my take : I am not sure about recalls being honored (have to do further research) after export/import into different country, also keep in mind about modifications to your car to meet CA specs if they don't. Price wise they all appear same albeit hybrids from quick glance (used cars, do note to counter conversion in when comparing)

VS : Passport, COPR, GTA, POF and GTF should be good
Thank u.., just saw this reply.. thank u so much

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019

Any major purchase outside Canada after initial landing , we need to pay the import taxes .. So if you buy a car in US after landing , need to be prepared for the taxes while actually importing it to Canada
Thank u so much.., just checked the reply

Maximilian89

May 31, 2020
Hi all, if I land in toronto as softlanding, can I give an address of a friend in Ottawa for the PR card to be delivered or it should be Toronto?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Hi all, if I land in toronto as softlanding, can I give an address of a friend in Ottawa for the PR card to be delivered or it should be Toronto?
You can try to give whatever address you want, but some border officers will refuse unless it is your permanent address.

Maximilian89

May 31, 2020
You can try to give whatever address you want, but some border officers will refuse unless it is your permanent address.
Thanks. So if I have no permanent address what should I do? No new residents will have a permanent address... it is known that we all use relatives/friends addresses no?