+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing from USA to Canada and returning back the same day

AppleTalk

Jul 12, 2019
Hi,

I am planning to do a soft landing from USA to Canada (land crossing) and return back the same day... Basically taking a U-turn from Port of entry. Are there any risks other than the border officer not processing the COPR? What is the possibility of the officer not processing the application?

I have read some experiences on this forum of people doing soft landing with same day return, but I couldn't find any guidance from CIC so wanted to check the pros and cons of doing this.

Thanks!

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
Hi, @AppleTalk,

I'm in the same boat, planning to do a soft landing(or ready to stay 14-day quarantine) via Detroit - Windsor border and return to the USA. I didn't find any posts regarding the soft landing from people after Nov 21st.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi,

I am planning to do a soft landing from USA to Canada (land crossing) and return back the same day... Basically taking a U-turn from Port of entry. Are there any risks other than the border officer not processing the COPR? What is the possibility of the officer not processing the application?

I have read some experiences on this forum of people doing soft landing with same day return, but I couldn't find any guidance from CIC so wanted to check the pros and cons of doing this.

Thanks!
You will not find any specific IRCC/CIC guidance other than maybe a few one liners given at this time soft landings are discouraged and even flagpoling from the other direction from Canada is not currently supported.

As you can read from other experiences there are no guarantees about whether a soft landing/immediate turnaround will be successful so just have to be prepared if required to put your case to CBSA at the POE. Even if CBSA process your landing there is always the chance they will not process your PR card application if not intending to settle..

Obviously people who are prepared to do the 14 day quarantine even if their intent is to return post day 14 may possibly have an easier time in being processed but thats just speculation and ultimately may just come down to the CBSA officer and how busy the border happens to be..

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleTalk

rrb441

Feb 26, 2019
Hi, @AppleTalk,

I'm in the same boat, planning to do a soft landing(or ready to stay 14-day quarantine) via Detroit - Windsor border and return to the USA. I didn't find any posts regarding the soft landing from people after Nov 21st.
Hi @peacefulpal Where you able to complete soft landing process with out any issues? Did you do it with quarantine or with out. I thank you in advance!

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
Hi @peacefulpal Where you able to complete soft landing process with out any issues? Did you do it with quarantine or with out. I thank you in advance!
Hi @rrb441,
Yes, I have completed my soft landing in December, and here is the post of my landing experience Softlanding experience Dec 2020
No, I didn't go through 14day quarantine. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Good Luck.

Reactions: rrb441