+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing Experience - USA to Canada using Peace Bridge ( Used AVR while coming back to USA )

Sun2shine

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
@ajj123
I did call TD bank and they were like we don't know what is a cashier's check. When I told them it is a check drafted on my name and in USD, they asked me to bring it in and they should be able to process it. (Not totally convinced, will have to check with other banks)

Since you just did the landing, is it a hard requirement that one should have funds with them upon landing?
It is easier for me to rather wire money instead of carrying such high amounts in cash. I have a recent letter from may bank saying I have enough funds to to match 23K CAD.
Do you think it will be ok with the bank letter(as proof of funds) during soft landing, and can I say will wire the funds later?

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
@ajj123
I did call TD bank and they were like we don't know what is a cashier's check. When I told them it is a check drafted on my name and in USD, they asked me to bring it in and they should be able to process it. (Not totally convinced, will have to check with other banks)

Since you just did the landing, is it a hard requirement that one should have funds with them upon landing?
It is easier for me to rather wire money instead of carrying such high amounts in cash. I have a recent letter from may bank saying I have enough funds to to match 23K CAD.
Do you think it will be ok with the bank letter(as proof of funds) during soft landing, and can I say will wire the funds later?
Just curious, why is 23K needed just for soft landing?

Also, is it mandatory to do soft landing with a rental car versus one's own car? What are the pros and cons? Please shed some light.

ajj123

Star Member
Jan 4, 2018
@ajj123

Yes for landing you only need to show your bank statements / bank letter showing enough funds. And you can wire transfer later at your convenience. They only need to know you have enough funds.

ajj123

Star Member
Jan 4, 2018
Thank you for the information! How about rental car versus own car versus flying? Pros and Cons of each if you can please tell.
We preferred taking rental as we were staying only for the night. If you are driving your own car and will be importing as well, you will need to carry proper documentation such as title ownership. More so make sure that car is admissible in Canada. There are some links to check that.
We preferred driving as to flying based on everyone’s posts on peace bridge experience.
Hope this helps

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
We preferred taking rental as we were staying only for the night. If you are driving your own car and will be importing as well, you will need to carry proper documentation such as title ownership. More so make sure that car is admissible in Canada. There are some links to check that.
We preferred driving as to flying based on everyone’s posts on peace bridge experience.
Hope this helps
So, even for staying one night with my own car, should I still documentation for the car because I am going to come back?

Sun2shine

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Yes for landing you only need to show your bank statements / bank letter showing enough funds. And you can wire transfer later at your convenience. They only need to know you have enough funds.
Thanks @ajj123 for response. I will carry POF letter from bank and will carry cashier's check of small amount. I did speak with Royal bank of canada and they said they will b able to process USD cashier's check in CAD, with fees of 20 CAD.

@Mirapakay
Here is the proof of funds page showing how much to bring based on number of family members. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/proof-funds.html

Sun2shine

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Petitions filed with USCIS (amendments, extensions, transfers etc.) are not Visa applications. Applications for a Visa are made at a Consulate outside of US.
Now we have scheduled for visa interview at US consulate in Canada. If I knew about AVR before I would not have scheduled visa interview. As we are h1/h4 applicants with approved extension on I797.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
Thanks @ajj123 for response. I will carry POF letter from bank and will carry cashier's check of small amount. I did speak with Royal bank of canada and they said they will b able to process USD cashier's check in CAD, with fees of 20 CAD.

@Mirapakay
Here is the proof of funds page showing how much to bring based on number of family members. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/proof-funds.html
Thank you! But, this sounds like a document that needs to be submitted when applying for Express Entry. Isn't that true? Because, I've submitted the proof of funds documents as part of my application.

Sun2shine

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Thank you! But, this sounds like a document that needs to be submitted when applying for Express Entry. Isn't that true? Because, I've submitted the proof of funds documents as part of my application.
Yes. But I guess this is would be more recent document that you will show as proof of funds when landing. Also I read in other forums if you are carrying more than 10k CAD then you will have to declare it to customs and apparently there is form need to one filled out for it.

Sun2shine

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
@ajj123 @Mirapakay
Any thoughts on this - I will be soft landing at airport and have prepared an excel document with list of items I am carrying with me, and another list of items that I can bring later.
Questions-
is it ok to bring printed excel list or I need to fill in specific form?
I am reading mixed answers on this topic everywhere.