Soft landing experience October 2019

gauri48

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Ottawa
My soft landing experience

hello guys - today I’ll be sharing with you my soft landing experience (AOR March 2019, PPR email 02 October)

As I am still working in India and have a well settled job here, I was not sure about quitting my job so soon and moving to Canada. Hence I decided to do soft landing and subsequently move to Canada around April-May 2020 (obviously in better weather conditions).

I booked an Air Canada ticket which was a direct flight from Mum-Toronto and return.At the Mumbai airport’ immigration, I was asked the purpose of my visit to Canada to which I said that I’ve received a PR and am going for my formalities. The officer then asked me to produce my PR card but I told him that as I am going there for the first time I do not have a PR card and instead showed him the COPR documents. He verified the docs post which he stamped my passport and I was good to go.

I landed in Toronto at 7 in the morning after a tiring journey of 16 hours! In the flight itself I was given an immigration form in which I had to fill my details like name, passport no. , purpose of visit etc.

After getting off the flight I headed towards the immigration along with other travellers. However when I told an officer there that I am landing for my PR, I was sent to another queue.

Here a lady officer checked my immigration form (which I had already filled in the flight) and the COPR document and asked if I was carrying any cash and milk products. I told the officer the amount of cash I had on me and that I’m carrying butter and milk powder as well. The officer made some notes on the immigration form regarding the cash and milk products I’m carrying.

From here I was sent to another immigration officer (sweet young man). This officer asked for my immigration form, passport and COPR (two copies). Here I was asked the following three questions:
1. If you’ve been convicted of any crime in any country?
2. Ever refused admission to enter or leave Canada?
3. Do you have any dependents which are not listed in your application?

I answered NO to all the above questions. The officer then retained one copy of my COPR and on the other COPR copy he asked me to sign at two places. Then he stamped the COPR copy saying that I became a permanent resident of Canada on XYZ date.
After this the officer asked me how much money in cash I have with me to which I told him I have XX amount of cash. He then asked me where I was staying and if there is any particular address where I would like the PR card to be delivered. I told the officer that I’ll be staying at my friends place and would like the PR card to be mailed there. He didn’t ask me any further questions and handed over the immigration form, passport and COPR copy to me and told me that the COPR copy “is a very important document” and I should keep it safe with me even after I become a citizen.

I was then directed towards a counter where SIN for new comers were generated. At this counter the officer asked me to fill a form meanwhile he checked my immigration form, COPR copy, passport and boarding pass. I handed over the filled form to him and within 2 mins he generated my SIN and handed over the SIN document to me.

I was then asked to proceed towards the customs section. Here the officer again asked for my immigration form, passport and COPR. He read the remark made on the immigration form that I was carrying mill products. He then asked me to open my bags and checked the food items I was carrying. He took butter and milk powder from my bag and threw it in the dustbin. . Then I was asked if there were any goods I am carrying to which I told the officer that my goods will come at a later date. The officer asked me to fill a “Goods to Follow” form where I was asked to detail any and everything that I intend to bring into Canada at a later date. I listed products worth approximately $2,500. The customer officer then directed me to a “cashier counter” where I was given document (which looked more like a receipt implying that I can bring in goods with $2,500 and no custom duty would’ve levied on it). After this I again headed to the customer officer and he handed me my passport, COPR copy and a copy of the Goods to Follow list.

This was the last step at the airport and I was told I can exit the airport and need to visit Service Ontario to apply for my health card.

Hope you found this write up informative and I’ll be happy to answer your questions.

#SoftLanding #CanadaPR #ExpressEntry

gauri48

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Ottawa

hello guys - today I’ll be sharing with you my soft landing experience (AOR March 2019, PPR email 02 October)

As I am still working in India and have a well settled job here, I was not sure about quitting my job so soon and moving to Canada. Hence I decided to do soft landing and subsequently move to Canada around April-May 2020 (obviously in better weather conditions).

I booked an Air Canada ticket which was a direct flight from Mum-Toronto and return.At the Mumbai airport’ immigration, I was asked the purpose of my visit to Canada to which I said that I’ve received a PR and am going for my formalities. The officer then asked me to produce my PR card but I told him that as I am going there for the first time I do not have a PR card and instead showed him the COPR documents. He verified the docs post which he stamped my passport and I was good to go.

I landed in Toronto at 7 in the morning after a tiring journey of 16 hours! In the flight itself I was given an immigration form in which I had to fill my details like name, passport no. , purpose of visit etc.

After getting off the flight I headed towards the immigration along with other travellers. However when I told an officer there that I am landing for my PR, I was sent to another queue.

Here a lady officer checked my immigration form (which I had already filled in the flight) and the COPR document and asked if I was carrying any cash and milk products. I told the officer the amount of cash I had on me and that I’m carrying butter and milk powder as well. The officer made some notes on the immigration form regarding the cash and milk products I’m carrying.

From here I was sent to another immigration officer (sweet young man). This officer asked for my immigration form, passport and COPR (two copies). Here I was asked the following three questions:

I answered NO to all the above questions. The officer then retained one copy of my COPR and on the other COPR copy he asked me to sign at two places. Then he stamped the COPR copy saying that I became a permanent resident of Canada on XYZ date.
After this the officer asked me how much money in cash I have with me to which I told him I have XX amount of cash. He then asked me where I was staying and if there is any particular address where I would like the PR card to be delivered. I told the officer that I’ll be staying at my friends place and would like the PR card to be mailed there. He didn’t ask me any further questions and handed over the immigration form, passport and COPR copy to me and told me that the COPR copy “is a very important document” and I should keep it safe with me even after I become a citizen.

I was then directed towards a counter where SIN for new comers were generated. At this counter the officer asked me to fill a form meanwhile he checked my immigration form, COPR copy, passport and boarding pass. I handed over the filled form to him and within 2 mins he generated my SIN and handed over the SIN document to me.

I was then asked to proceed towards the customs section. Here the officer again asked for my immigration form, passport and COPR. He read the remark made on the immigration form that I was carrying mill products. He then asked me to open my bags and checked the food items I was carrying. He took butter and milk powder from my bag and threw it in the dustbin. . Then I was asked if there were any goods I am carrying to which I told the officer that my goods will come at a later date. The officer asked me to fill a “Goods to Follow” form where I was asked to detail any and everything that I intend to bring into Canada at a later date. I listed products worth approximately $2,500. The customer officer then directed me to a “cashier counter” where I was given document (which looked more like a receipt implying that I can bring in goods with $2,500 and no custom duty would’ve levied on it). After this I again headed to the customer officer and he handed me my passport, COPR copy and a copy of the Goods to Follow list.

This was the last step at the airport and I was told I can exit the airport and need to visit Service Ontario to apply for my health card.

Hope you found this write up informative and I’ll be happy to answer your questions.

@Delena thanks for liking my post. Hope you found it helpful. Are you done with your landing?

gauri48

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Ottawa

Thanks for liking @ammad88 let me know if you have any questions for me.

ammad88

Apr 16, 2019
Thanks for liking @ammad88 let me know if you have any questions for me.
Thanks for your kind comments. I don't have much on mind at the moment. Although, the cash amount you took along with you, was it the minimum settlement funds that you took or just a little cash to stay for that short period of time?

Reactions: gauri48

gauri48

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Thanks for your kind comments. I don't have much on mind at the moment. Although, the cash amount you took along with you, was it the minimum settlement funds that you took or just a little cash to stay for that short period of time?
@ammad88 - I took very little cash with me. I used a debit card and Forex card for all my expenses there. The officers ask questions relating to cash as a part of their procedure. Only if you’re carrying anything above $10,000 they may question you further. Also it is mandatory to disclose to amount of cash you’re carrying.

Reactions: ammad88

ammad88

Apr 16, 2019
I also heard they ask for POF for the last 6 months at the airport sometimes. Good to know that you don't necessarily need so much cash on hand.
How do you plan to get hold of your PR card once it arrives? Do share the procedure.
Btw, the day you got ppr mail was the exact day when i got aor. Lol

gauri48

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Ottawa
I also heard they ask for POF for the last 6 months at the airport sometimes. Good to know that you don't necessarily need so much cash on hand.
How do you plan to get hold of your PR card once it arrives? Do share the procedure.
Btw, the day you got ppr mail was the exact day when i got aor. Lol
@ammad88 well I did carry my bank statements for last 6 months but the officers didn’t ask me to show it to them.

Reactions: ammad88

everbliss

Star Member
Feb 12, 2018
@gauri48

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I had a question regarding the PR delivery address. I have read in some threads that the immigration officers no longer accept friends' addresses for PR delivery.

Did you have any trouble when you mentioned your friends' address for the delivery? Also, did they ask you to mention your relationship to the persons(s) staying at the address?

gauri48

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Ottawa
@gauri48

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I had a question regarding the PR delivery address. I have read in some threads that the immigration officers no longer accept friends' addresses for PR delivery.

Did you have any trouble when you mentioned your friends' address for the delivery? Also, did they ask you to mention your relationship to the persons(s) staying at the address?
@everbliss
The immigration officer asked me for the address and I said that I’m currently staying g with a friend and would like the card to be delivered at that address. The officer didn’t ask any further questions.

Reactions: everbliss

kushagra452

Apr 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats! Thank you for sharing your landing experience. How do you plan to get the PR Card delivered once you leave Canada? Will your friend FedEx it to you? Any other options that you are exploring?

gauri48

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Ottawa
@kushagra452 - thanks for liking the post and for this question. Mailing/ couriering PR card outside the country is illegal. Most reputed courier firms refrain from doing this. I am thinking of applying for a PRTD or probably my family member will visit Toronto and get back my card. Still exploring options.

Reactions: kushagra452

Prat007

Nov 6, 2019
Thanks for sharing your experience Gauri. I submitted my file on the 7th of Sep 2019 under EE FSW program. MEP and Biometric submitted in September itself. Hoping to receive the golden news before Christmas. If you have any pointers on how to control the anxiety and focus on your job whilst waiting, do share!

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Upfront (uploaded with application)
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
@kushagra452 - thanks for liking the post and for this question. Mailing/ couriering PR card outside the country is illegal. Most reputed courier firms refrain from doing this. I am thinking of applying for a PRTD or probably my family member will visit Toronto and get back my card. Still exploring options.
I am sorry but i will have to correct you on this one. Its not illegal and nothing in Canada's bills or laws prohibit it from being shipped its only that IRCC dont do it. You could check with the recognized couriers most of them if not all wont mind shipping it, but the issue is that its frowned upon because sometimes the receiving country has restrictions or the shipment gets lost so when shipping it its guranteed to leave Canada but its risky to be delivered to the other side.

maheshmit

Star Member
Sep 25, 2018

Hi Gauri - thanks for your detailed post. Did the immigration officer ask for your duration of stay? I'm checking because, several people have posted that immigration officers are not initiating PR card process if the applicant is doing a soft landing. Hence wanted to confirm.

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
Hi Gauri - thanks for your detailed post. Did the immigration officer ask for your duration of stay? I'm checking because, several people have posted that immigration officers are not initiating PR card process if the applicant is doing a soft landing. Hence wanted to confirm.
The officer doesnt ask this question no, but if he/she asks then you will have to disclose this information and only very few officers dont initiate the process because of that, most of them do though.
In conclusion, its not asked usually no, but if asked then of course you cant hide it from the officers
Good luck