+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing and PR card question

kostya_k

Feb 24, 2017
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to do the soft landing in the upcoming spring. I know that the details of how to do a soft landing has been widely discussed and many people successfully done it by leaving their friends address to a CBSA officer at airport upon entering the country when they went through the landing procedures.

Then those friends received a PR card which was then forwarded to a guy outside of Canada so he/she could reenter the country.

The question that I have is that how does it work when the official regulation demands that "If you change your address within 180 days of arriving in Canada, you must tell us using the web form."(*).

So, OK. Let's imagine I enter the country, leave my friends' address to the officer and then leave Canada the next day. Then, when I leave Canada I am obliged to go to the website and update my current address according to (*). Which means that the previous address that I gave to the officer will be overridden and my friends won't get my PR card?
How did it work for other people? Did they just ignored the (*) ruling and did not update their address after leaving Canada? Or, am I I getting something wrong?

I'd appreciate your help.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What ruling? So you have another Canadian address to give to IRCC before you leave Canada after the sort landing?

kostya_k

Feb 24, 2017
What ruling?
Sorry, I meant the official guide which says:
"If you change your address within 180 days of arriving in Canada, you must tell us using the web form."(*).

So you have another Canadian address to give to IRCC before you leave Canada after the sort landing?
That's the problem. If I respect the official guide above, after soft landing I'll have to change my current address to an address outside Canada once I leave Canada and thus, if I understand correctly, they will not send my PR card to the address which I specified during landing.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but I think that is only referring to the need to keep IRCC informed if you need to change the mailing address In Canada for your PR card given they would not want to mail it to an address no longer valid.

Although agree is badly worded do not think they are requiring anyone to inform they are outside of Canada in which case IRCC would abandon the processing of the PR card without an in Canada address which is not the result you want.

Many new immigrants do not obviously have anything more than a temporary residential or mailing address when they first land so IRCC want to be kept informed if within the first 180 days an immigrant moves into more premenant accomodation to which the PR card should be mailed. This despite current processing is only 44 days.

Last edited: