+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing and Goods to Follow

RitzzG

Jun 24, 2019
@ryester @northern sunshine
Hi - I plan to do a soft landing next week and will be carrying my laptop along with me.
1. While that goes in Goods to Accompany(GA) list during my first landing, does it also needs to be included in GTF list since I will be bringing it again into Canada next time I move there permanently? Or can I show stamped GA form to the border agents when asked about the laptop upon my reentry or do they expect item to be in stamped GTF list?

2. Can a stamped GTF list, containing list of a vehicle to be imported, be handed over to a shipping company/customs brokers to get one exempted from paying custom duties? One of the shipping company told me that their drivers does not stop on Canadian side to do the paperwork and I have to check with a custom broker(which I will do it soon) if they can use that GTF list. By any chance, do you have any insight on this particular thing - can someone else use that GTF list on my behalf or CBP agents expect GTF list to be presented in person by the person himself?

Thanks in advance!

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
1) you need to pay tax for all the goods that are not on list (and I am not sure you can modify the list after submission)
2) you can bring the dog with all paper works, it should not be a problem
3) you need to pay tax for the car you purchased in USA (same as 1)
Thank you for the reply. We cannot modify the list as they have stamped it and they have a copy as well. Not sure how they check but still.

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Hi - I plan to do a soft landing next week and will be carrying my laptop along with me.
1. While that goes in Goods to Accompany(GA) list during my first landing, does it also needs to be included in GTF list since I will be bringing it again into Canada next time I move there permanently? Or can I show stamped GA form to the border agents when asked about the laptop upon my reentry or do they expect item to be in stamped GTF list?

2. Can a stamped GTF list, containing list of a vehicle to be imported, be handed over to a shipping company/customs brokers to get one exempted from paying custom duties? One of the shipping company told me that their drivers does not stop on Canadian side to do the paperwork and I have to check with a custom broker(which I will do it soon) if they can use that GTF list. By any chance, do you have any insight on this particular thing - can someone else use that GTF list on my behalf or CBP agents expect GTF list to be presented in person by the person himself?

Thanks in advance!
Hi ... not sure of your question 2. But for one my husband and I had two laptops in goods accompanying and two old laptops in goods to follow. The customs officer stamped both my goods accompanying and goods to follow and said I can show the same stamped goods accompanying list when I come again since it’s declared and stamped already so I need not pay any tax again for those. I had pics of jewels in both list and he stamped both and gave a bill for goods to follow which can be given to the truck company when I transport the stuff.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019

Thanks in advance!
1 - As SaraRahul said, you can show that it was included on a list that was already stamped.
2 - I didn't do this myself but I've seen others say they had to give a copy (not the original) to the shipping company. Probably best to find someone who has done it. :)

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018

Thanks in advance!
1. yes, list it in GTF and/or GA but you can bring it with you on your soft landing. Make sure you document the exact brand and model. CBSA is not very strict on used laptops.
2. yes, it can include a vehicle (or vehicles) but some restrictions apply. The shipping company/broker does need the list (or some special form) to clear the customs. I don't remember how we did exactly, it was more than 20 years ago, we imported two vehicles from USA. The shipping company usually have their own brokers or partner brokers. You can do the clearance yourself of course, it is not very complicated if you plan ahead well.

RitzzG

Jun 24, 2019
Hi ... not sure of your question 2. But for one my husband and I had two laptops in goods accompanying and two old laptops in goods to follow. The customs officer stamped both my goods accompanying and goods to follow and said I can show the same stamped goods accompanying list when I come again since it’s declared and stamped already so I need not pay any tax again for those. I had pics of jewels in both list and he stamped both and gave a bill for goods to follow which can be given to the truck company when I transport the stuff.
@SaraRahul @northern sunshine @ryester
Thank you all for your responses.

This all makes sense. As long as the laptop is listed in GA and/or GTF, I should be fine. All in all, I will be filling up 4 BSF-186 forms - two representing GA and the other two GTF.

1. Does every electronic item must be accompanied with a serial #? It's easy to find out for laptops and mobile but not for every electronic item.
2. Pardon me for putting an unrelated que. - Is it easier to cross the border using a signed CoPR as opposed to landing for the first time? In other words, does a signed CoPR makes it easy to convince the border agents to let one through, with lesser scrutiny? I am just trying to anticipate any issues that may arise upon my reentry(permanent move) into Canada.

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
@SaraRahul @northern sunshine @ryester
Thank you all for your responses.

This all makes sense. As long as the laptop is listed in GA and/or GTF, I should be fine. All in all, I will be filling up 4 BSF-186 forms - two representing GA and the other two GTF.

1. Does every electronic item must be accompanied with a serial #? It's easy to find out for laptops and mobile but not for every electronic item.
2. Pardon me for putting an unrelated que. - Is it easier to cross the border using a signed CoPR as opposed to landing for the first time? In other words, does a signed CoPR makes it easy to convince the border agents to let one through, with lesser scrutiny? I am just trying to anticipate any issues that may arise upon my reentry(permanent move) into Canada.
to answer ques 1, I mentioned the model name of laptop and mobile and two of the laptop's serial number was erased.So i mentioned the model name alone.And for TV there was a serial number which we mentioned. the customs officer did not check every line item. He was more concerned on the jewels that was mentioned in the list and asked if all jewels are mentioned along with pic. I said yes and he checked that line item and checked with the pics of jewels. So if you have serial number u can mention it else the make and model name will do.
Ques 2, I am not sure since we just landed and in quarantine. But the IO said if we leave Canada and need to return we should have PR card or we need to apply for some visa or PRTD i am not sure on what she told but it looked like we need to apply it through embassy and then only we can enter in if we do not have PR card. We are looking to move next yr maybe so by then we will have our PR card so we didnt press on the information since she kept asking us are you planning on leaving canada and we did not want to risk by telling we are doing a soft landing for now. So anyone who entered canada without a PR card will be able to guide you on the process.

canadian_pr_1

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
HI All,

I have one question about 'Goods Accompanying' list.When we did out soft landing in March 2020, we neither had 'the goods to follow list' nor the 'Goods to Follow ' list.Now I know that I can fill the BSF186 form when we move permanently. But will I be in any trouble for not having a ''Goods Accompanying' list during the initial landing? We got our COPR stamped and all. Just though of this question now.

Thanks everyone for your responses! Cam't tell you how helpful they are!

canadian_pr_1

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
to answer ques 1, I mentioned the model name of laptop and mobile and two of the laptop's serial number was erased.So i mentioned the model name alone.And for TV there was a serial number which we mentioned. the customs officer did not check every line item. He was more concerned on the jewels that was mentioned in the list and asked if all jewels are mentioned along with pic. I said yes and he checked that line item and checked with the pics of jewels. So if you have serial number u can mention it else the make and model name will do.
Ques 2, I am not sure since we just landed and in quarantine. But the IO said if we leave Canada and need to return we should have PR card or we need to apply for some visa or PRTD i am not sure on what she told but it looked like we need to apply it through embassy and then only we can enter in if we do not have PR card. We are looking to move next yr maybe so by then we will have our PR card so we didnt press on the information since she kept asking us are you planning on leaving canada and we did not want to risk by telling we are doing a soft landing for now. So anyone who entered canada without a PR card will be able to guide you on the process.
Hi,

For question 2: You can only use a signed COPR to cross the border via land and in a private car.Most commercial vehicles like buses or trains need a PR or PRTD before they let you board.You cannot fly in using a signed COPR .With regards to scrutiny, I am not sure.They might have questions if your COPR was stamped a while ago and you don't have a PR card.But from what I have read a stamped COPR is a valid document that can be used to prove PR status even for other applications.

kubernetes

Jun 23, 2020
Hi..
My husband and I did a soft landing two days back and we got our goods accompanying list and goods to follow list stamped. And the customs officer gave us a printed bill which we can show to the transportation company when we bring our goods to Canada. I have the following questions:

1) We plan to go back to USA once the quarantine is over. So once we return and come back to Canada maybe the next year and say I have purchased a new laptop or any item which is not on the goods to follow list which is already stamped by the customs, how do I go about the new purchased items? Do I make a new list of goods accompanying and goods to follow and get it stamped when I enter again to settle permanently?

2) We have a pet dog and since we did a soft landing we didn’t bring her with us and I didn’t declare her in GTF list as well. So when we permanently move I should just import her with her paperwork ? Or are there any other process ?

3) We do not have a car now but looking to buy one and take it when we permanently settle in Canada. So how do we go about that? it will be a new purchase after our return from Canada to USA.
Hello,

Could you please provide some insights on your landing experience.Did you travel by air or by land? What is your pr approved date? Which port of entry tou went through? Are soft landings happening without any issues?

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Hello,

Could you please provide some insights on your landing experience.Did you travel by air or by land? What is your pr approved date? Which port of entry tou went through? Are soft landings happening without any issues?
1) we took the flight from Chicago
2) we did not mention we were doing a soft landing, we said we are new COPR holders landing for first time.No one asks if we are doing a soft landing and they asked us the purpose of visit. So we did not mention anything regarding that.
3)Soft landings are not allowed at this time is what I hear from IRCC tweets since IRCC is requesting for additional documents ( job offer, travel plan, rental agreements,POF,Quarantine plan ) for ppl who have mailed "ready to travel" webform after COPR expiry. Check @swack60 on the thread COPR and coronavirus for the same. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/copr-and-coronavirus.681880/page-444#post-8702358.
It has details about softlanding tweets from IRCC as well.

Jul 10, 2020
Folks need a bit of guidance. Me & my family are currently in the US (California) and we have our PR cards in hand. Did soft landing in Vancouver in Aug 2019. However we made a small mistake - I was not able to declare my goods to follow at my first landing in Canada. The airport was very busy and the customs officer never asked for it and it completely slipped my mind. We have been in the US for 9+ years so have a decent amount of furniture and stuff 2 cars as well. We plan to move to Canada permanently by mid September 2020. Has anyone been in this situation and moved with personal belongings+ car without declaring Goods to Follow ( BSF186 – Personal Effects Accounting Document) at the soft landing port/airport. Please help/guide me.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Folks need a bit of guidance. Me & my family are currently in the US (California) and we have our PR cards in hand. Did soft landing in Vancouver in Aug 2019. However we made a small mistake - I was not able to declare my goods to follow at my first landing in Canada. The airport was very busy and the customs officer never asked for it and it completely slipped my mind. We have been in the US for 9+ years so have a decent amount of furniture and stuff 2 cars as well. We plan to move to Canada permanently by mid September 2020. Has anyone been in this situation and moved with personal belongings+ car without declaring Goods to Follow ( BSF186 – Personal Effects Accounting Document) at the soft landing port/airport. Please help/guide me.
I don't know for sure but I think you should expect for your items to be subject to import tax. If all your stuff is not totally new you might get off easier, meaning less tax but I think it is taxed at fair market value. Your smaller possessions won't be a big deal but big ticket items could cost you a lot. Might want to consider selling stuff at home before crossing the border to lessen the impact. Forgetting to give them the form when you landed probably won't hold much water.

Rajan Arora

Feb 7, 2016
I don't know for sure but I think you should expect for your items to be subject to import tax. If all your stuff is not totally new you might get off easier, meaning less tax but I think it is taxed at fair market value. Your smaller possessions won't be a big deal but big ticket items could cost you a lot. Might want to consider selling stuff at home before crossing the border to lessen the impact. Forgetting to give them the form when you landed probably won't hold much water.
We are also in the same boat during our initial landing we have no idea about GTF and now we are planning to move in 2 months; what can be done if we need to move stuff from US to CA. we stayed more than a year outside canada will we get any exemption as settler now or we need to pay duty or taxed and how much will it be if need to pay?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
We are also in the same boat during our initial landing we have no idea about GTF and now we are planning to move in 2 months; what can be done if we need to move stuff from US to CA. we stayed more than a year outside canada will we get any exemption as settler now or we need to pay duty or taxed and how much will it be if need to pay?
The CDN citizen returning can bring personal possessions back to Canada duty free, the items have to be bought more than 6 months prior to returning home, I don't think there is a $$ limit of what can be brought. As mentioned above my understanding is an Immigrant who has not completed a GTF list that their possessions can be/will be taxed at fair market value. I think the biggest concern would be if you have a lot of valuables like jewellery, gold, paintings, etc. All the info should be available on Canada Customs web site. Start with this link:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html