Aug 9, 2010 received in sydney, NS
Doc's Request.
filed with application... document request for spouse in January 2011
IELTS Request
filed with application
File Transfer...
29 Nov 2010
Med's Request
29 June 2011. CANADA POST took 22 days deliver this mail.
Med's Done....
26 July 2011 - Principal Applicant, 02 Sept 2011 - Spouse and baby
Interview........
waived!!!!
Passport Req..
Received
LANDED..........
lives in the capital city of Canada... Ottawa, Ontario for last 4 years
IF YOU ARE A SOCIAL WORKER AND IF YOU NEED TO REGISTER IN ANY PROVINCE IN CANADA AS SOCIAL WORKER, it is a SIMPLE TASK

1. GATHER YOUR DOCUMENTS FROM THE SCHOOL OR UNIVERSITIES WHERE YOU STUDIED
2. DOCUMENT IT PROPERLY... BE VERY CAREFUL WHILE YOU DO YOUR DOCUMENTATION!!!!
3. DECIDE WHICH PROVINCE YOU ARE MIGRATING
4. SEND IT TO TO CANADIAN ASSOCIATION OF SOCIAL WORKERS, OTTAWA, ONTARIO, CANADA
5. WAIT FOR A MONTH OR TWO... YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR POSITIVE REPLY!
6. BE HAPPY!
7. GET YOUR PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR WORK PERMIT
8. APPLY TO THE PROVINCIAL REGISTRATION BODY
9. BE HAPPY AND WAIT.
10 YOU WILL RECEIVE IT BY MAIL

don't wait your money and time by going to Ryerson University Program..
faculties from Ryerson suggested this option to me. so why you don't try this...

I TRIED THIS OPTION AND I AM SUCEESFUL... BUT NOW I DON'T WANT BE A SOCIAL WORKER.. I WANT BE A LAWYER.. SO I AHVE APPLIED TO OTTAWA UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL.. ( FORGOT TO SAY... I WAS A LAWYER BEFORE.. I GOT MY LAW EDUCATION CREDENTIALS ALSO GOT EVALUATED AND I NEED TO STUDY ONLY FOUR SUBJECTS TO STUDY..

Reactions: jaybee1026

entemaria

May 1, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
4152 Social Worker
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
filed with application
File Transfer...
29 Nov 2010
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived!!!!
Passport Req..
Received
LANDED..........
martha marita said:
Thanks for infor. Really helps
Thanks...

Are you working in canada and got registered?

Y2J

May 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi,
i am a social worker planning to apply for FSW.
Is it mandatory to have Bachelor degree on social work?
I am a Bachelor in Economics and have been working as Social worker for the last 5 years.
waiting for your reply

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
Y2J said:
hi,
I am a Bachelor in Economics and have been working as Social worker for the last 5 years.
waiting for your reply
Dear Y2J, there is a thread on social workers, and we will be happy to have u join us to share our experiences: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/social-workers-4152-applied-alreadygoing-to-apply-t70325.0.html

Now with regards to your question, this has to be seen in 2 parts:
1. immigration purposes
2. job prospects in Canada

This question has already been posed and I did some research and I can only comment on the number 2. I guess you are already aware that social work is a regulated profession: Saskatchewan, Alberta, Ontario, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador and to register to practice in any province should meet certain requirements, one of which is to hav BA or MA in Social work. I have however come accross one province, Ontario where you could still apply for alicense without a social work degree so far as you have a bachelors and have performed the role of a social worker for at least a year:http://ocswssw.org/en/sw_no_degree.htm. The other thing is to have you degree evaluated.....the Canadian Association of Social Workers evaluates only social work degrees. I believe your question is more to do with 1 than 2, but I hope this has given you some insights

Y2J

May 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mandiebraxton said:
Dear Y2J, there is a thread on social workers, and we will be happy to have u join us to share our experiences: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/social-workers-4152-applied-alreadygoing-to-apply-t70325.0.html

Now with regards to your question, this has to be seen in 2 parts:
1. immigration purposes
2. job prospects in Canada

This question has already been posed and I did some research and I can only comment on the number 2. I guess you are already aware that social work is a regulated profession: Saskatchewan, Alberta, Ontario, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador and to register to practice in any province should meet certain requirements, one of which is to hav BA or MA in Social work. I have however come accross one province, Ontario where you could still apply for alicense without a social work degree so far as you have a bachelors and have performed the role of a social worker for at least a year:http://ocswssw.org/en/sw_no_degree.htm. The other thing is to have you degree evaluated.....the Canadian Association of Social Workers evaluates only social work degrees. I believe your question is more to do with 1 than 2, but I hope this has given you some insights
wow..excellent reply mandiebraxton. it explains a lot. seems like i should put Ontario as my destination.

Y2J

May 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
By the way mandiebraxton , DO you have a degree on social work?

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
Y2J said:
By the way mandiebraxton , DO you have a degree on social work?
Yes, I have MA Social Work, which has already been evaluated by CASW as equivalent to that of Canadian MASW. I am yet to register with a province as I am applying for jobs in almost all the provinces....it is quite costly to get a lincense, CAD$320 average application fee. Thus u need to be sure where u going so that u don't waste your money as each province requires its own licence.

wxyz123

Sep 21, 2010
Y2J said:
hi,
waiting for your reply
To me it seems like you do need some sort of degree in social work. I heard some where on this forum where a very senior member PMM pointed out that some professions do need prior qualifications to be eligible. The best thing would be you write to your concerned visa office. thanks

entemaria

May 1, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
4152 Social Worker
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
filed with application
File Transfer...
29 Nov 2010
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived!!!!
Passport Req..
Received
LANDED..........
Now if you are applying please do not wait to write to VO instead apply to CIO Sydney without any delay. [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Canada is changing the rule in June 2011[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size] and so there is no time to waste.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
wxyz123 said:
To me it seems like you do need some sort of degree in social work. I heard some where on this forum where a very senior member PMM pointed out that some professions do need prior qualifications to be eligible. The best thing would be you write to your concerned visa office. thanks
I think Y2J's question is more related to immigration application than the actual social work practice in Canada...I suppose the issue at stake is whether one can convince the immigration officer that he/she is a social worker without a degree in social work. Once that hurdle has been crossed, that person has a lot of options in the field when in Canada: social service worker,family support worker etc, which does not require a degree in social work. so let's help others who are in this position: can one apply for FSW as a social worker without an actual social work degree even though that person has performed duties of a social worker as per the ministerial instruction?.

handsfree

May 15, 2011
dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mandiebraxton said:
I think Y2J's question is more related to immigration application than the actual social work practice in Canada...I suppose the issue at stake is whether one can convince the immigration officer that he/she is a social worker without a degree in social work. Once that hurdle has been crossed, that person has a lot of options in the field when in Canada: social service worker,family support worker etc, which does not require a degree in social work. so let's help others who are in this position: can one apply for FSW as a social worker without an actual social work degree even though the person has performed duties of a social worker as per the ministerial instruction?.
relating to my past work experience i qualify for two nocs for FSW but i chose social work as i have a degree in it and my consultant confirmed that i need a degree in this field to apply and without that its 50/50 if i get acceped. thx.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
handsfree said:
relating to my past work experience i qualify for two nocs for FSW but i chose social work as i have a degree in it and my consultant confirmed that i need a degree in this field to apply and without that its 50/50 if i get acceped. thx.
handsfree, thanks for sharing...