+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Social Work - Saskatchewan (Saskatoon)

Maplekoala

May 4, 2017
Hi

I am new and am just beginning my research into immigrating from Australia (Perth) to Canada (through spousal sponsorship). I am curious about social work qualifications in Canada and transfer of my Australian qualifications. I know in the US you must have a Masters and supervision to achieve licensing, but do not know if it is the same in Canada.

I have a Bachelors (4 years) of which 2 years was Honours (research) (new graduate). I am currently doing a Masters degree (non social work).

I am also keen to hear about the social work employment market and where the majority of social workers tend to be employed.

If anyone can give me advice that would be wonderful.

Warmest wishes

MK

lady0421

Star Member
Sep 10, 2015
NOC Code......
Hi MK,

I also did my BSW in Aust (QLD), and was able to get my qualification evaluated and registered myself as a RSW with the BCCSW. I also did a non social work master (a master in counselling psychology), registered myself as a CCC.

In BC, most social workers tend to work in health settings. It was after I arrived in Canada that I realised social workers with a MSW is highly sought after.

In my experience with a bit of volunteering work at the local hospital (and networking), a SW job offer is not hard to come by. It seems most employers prefer social workers with Canadian work experience.