social assistance...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There is no minimum amount of time. In order to sponsor, you must show CIC that you can support yourselves without welfare.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Right there is no minimum time, technically you could get off social assistance and sponsor your spouse the next day.

However any recent receipt of social assistance will trigger an investigation during the sponsor review, so you can expect longer than usual processing. Also we have seen several cases where even though someone stopped receiving payments, they were accidentally left on the list of active recipients so their sponsorship was rejected. So before attempting to sponsor make sure you get written proof from the necessary government area that you are officially and completely removed from all social assistance lists.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
Great advice Rob_TO i have also seen this happen many times on this forum .. be sure to have documentation that you are off Ontario Works..

Shantaveli

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
Rob_TO said:
Right there is no minimum time, technically you could get off social assistance and sponsor your spouse the next day.

However any recent receipt of social assistance will trigger an investigation during the sponsor review, so you can expect longer than usual processing. Also we have seen several cases where even though someone stopped receiving payments, they were accidentally left on the list of active recipients so their sponsorship was rejected. So before attempting to sponsor make sure you get written proof from the necessary government area that you are officially and completely removed from all social assistance lists.
What kind of written proof this might be?
How could someone get access to those lists?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Shantaveli said:
What kind of written proof this might be?
How could someone get access to those lists?
You need to contact the relevant welfare authority.

impatientwife

Jan 28, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2015
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
File Transfer...
25-01-2016
Med's Done....
UPFRONT/Extended until Aug/2017
Interview........
06/12/2016
Passport Req..
TOMORROW WOULD BE NICE LOL
VISA ISSUED...
ON SPOT ☺☺☺
LANDED..........
Already Did
canuck_in_uk said:
You need to contact the relevant welfare authority.
Yes contact the office you were dealing with, explain to them that you need written proof that you're no longer on welfare, it will basically outline that your currently not on it and the last month you got a payment, if you were on it in different cites contact them all to request the same letter.

Hzyfa256

Nov 3, 2019

Hello hope u will be able to give me an idea,am sponsoring my wife but am not of welfare and i never sponsored anyone before but a have a debt with welfare which is not related to previous undertaking.I moved to Edmonton and Ontario works said i was supposed to inform them so they told me to pay the money I received.I received AOR in December 2020 but when you talked of delay i related to my case

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello hope u will be able to give me an idea,am sponsoring my wife but am not of welfare and i never sponsored anyone before but a have a debt with welfare which is not related to previous undertaking.I moved to Edmonton and Ontario works said i was supposed to inform them so they told me to pay the money I received.I received AOR in December 2020 but when you talked of delay i related to my case
It doesn't matter how many posts you made. You should pay off ALL the money that's owe. If you have unpaid debt from social assistance/welfare, your application will not be approved. So did you pay the money you received?

Reactions: canuck78

bluebird12345

Feb 22, 2022
What about reduced dental service for low-income families? Basically, if you show your tax assessment, if your income falls under a certain level, you could use their services. I have already used the service, and I am planning to sponsor my kid, I have contacted the organization, and they have no system to repay or withdraw from the service, you just don't use the service by yourself.

Will this impact my sponsorship if our names are still in their system?