+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Social Assistance Recipients

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
What does someone do who wants to sponsor, but is in receipt of Social Assistance?
Can her spouse apply for PR on his own?
I have a family member in receipt of SA and her spouse is residing here with no status.
I'm trying to figure out how to get him legal and working (lord help me).

frange

May 25, 2018
What does someone do who wants to sponsor, but is in receipt of Social Assistance?
I have a family member in receipt of SA and her spouse is residing here with no status.
Unless for disabilities, a sponsor should not be a recipient of social assistance (welfare).
You will receive a rejection since you are not eligible to sponsor. If so, find a job and apply afterwards.

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Unless for disabilities, a sponsor should not be a recipient of social assistance (welfare).
You will receive a rejection since you are not eligible to sponsor. If so, find a job and apply afterwards.

How does one find a job and apply afterwards?
Also, if the person is categorized as disabled while in receipt of SA they could sponsor? So all they would need is proof of this, I assume.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Her spouse with no status cannot work here.

The sponsor needs to find a job, work and get off SA before she can sponsor her spouse.

If the spouse can apply for PR under any economic stream, sure, he can apply. But since he's staying with no status, I doubt that's an option. (He would have already applied if he is eligible)
Same thing goes for work permit. But even with LMIA and a job offer for the spouse, the chance of him being approved for a work permit is lower because he had overstay. Can he still restore status as visitor? (within 90 days of him being out of status)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
How does one find a job and apply afterwards?
Also, if the person is categorized as disabled while in receipt of SA they could sponsor? So all they would need is proof of this, I assume.
If a person is disable, she would apply for disability not welfare.

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Her spouse with no status cannot work here.

The sponsor needs to find a job, work and get off SA before she can sponsor her spouse.

If the spouse can apply for PR under any economic stream, sure, he can apply. But since he's staying with no status, I doubt that's an option. (He would have already applied if he is eligible)
Same thing goes for work permit. But even with LMIA and a job offer for the spouse, the chance of him being approved for a work permit is lower because he had overstay. Can he still restore status as visitor? (within 90 days of him being out of status)

His status expired long ago, like probably a year or more now. Would they even give him any status back if he presented himself at local office? He is very afraid to do that, btw. He let things go way too long and now they're married and have a child.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
His status expired long ago, like probably a year or more now. Would they even give him any status back if he presented himself at local office? He is very afraid to do that, btw. He let things go way too long and now they're married and have a child.
They will not "give him a status back".
Again, the sponsor needs to get off SA, sponsor her spouse and once the application is approved, he will become PR. That's the only way he can have his "legal status" back if he continues to stay in Canada.

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
They will not "give him a status back".
Again, the sponsor needs to get off SA, sponsor her spouse and once the application is approved, he will become PR. That's the only way he can have his "legal status" back if he continues to stay in Canada.
The sponsor just can't get off SA. She's a legitimately disabled person. She collects it as a disabled person. We don't have divisions here for strictly disabled people such as ODSP in Ontario. It's just SA with categories such as disabled, able-bodied etc...

So, no options then? That sounds dire.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You can collect welfare as a disabled person. There is no disability pension for someone who has not worked and contributed to CPP.
So she has NEVER worked. Never crossed my mind.. sorry.
I think some province has other disability assistance on top of CPP. e.g.

Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)

So if she is also receiving other types of disability assistance, that can serve as a proof. (not 100% sure) You didnt' mention that she is disable when you start the post. I would not have replied at all if that's brought up.
So the general rule for a healthy person is that he/she cannot sponsor if she/he stays on social assistance.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
The sponsor just can't get off SA. She's a legitimately disabled person. She collects it as a disabled person. We don't have divisions here for strictly disabled people such as ODSP in Ontario. It's just SA with categories such as disabled, able-bodied etc...

So, no options then? That sounds dire.
I will let others response. Not sure which province she is in (other than not in ontario). But if "disabled" is marked on her SA, maybe that's an indication?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, they will certainly not give him his status back if he simply presents himself at a local office. There are really fairly limited avenues to getting status back and being able to work. Spousal sponsorship would be the best and simplest option.

You need to tell us which province the sponsor is living in and exactly what kind of welfare they are receiving. For example, if they are in Ontario and receiving the normal Ontario Works payments, they cannot sponsor. However as others have said, if they are on ODSP, that's a different matter.

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
No, they will certainly not give him his status back if he simply presents himself at a local office. There are really fairly limited avenues to getting status back and being able to work. Spousal sponsorship would be the best and simplest option.

You need to tell us which province the sponsor is living in and exactly what kind of welfare they are receiving. For example, if they are in Ontario and receiving the normal Ontario Works payments, they cannot sponsor. However as others have said, if they are on ODSP, that's a different matter.
NS and there is nothing like ODSP here. It's categories people are put in. This person is considered a disabled person with the feds too and qualify for Dis Tax Credit altho they do not work so cannot claim it.